Violence In Self Defense..

This is a discussion on Violence In Self Defense.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Violence can be a bit of a mystery to some, they think of it in a negative way. I understand that, but violence in a ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: Violence In Self Defense..

Violence In Self Defense..

Violence can be a bit of a mystery to some, they think of it in a negative way. I understand that, but violence in a self defense situation can be a good thing as long as its controlled. You say " Hog wash" violence is bad no matter how you color it. Fair enough, let me explain.

We read a lot about how others think, what their opinions are. This happens in forums and blogs all over the net. A scenario comes to mind. A bad guy pulls a knife, say give me your wallet, and you do. Now with that scenario if you give up your wallet and the bad guy runs off everything is okay, right? What if he does not run off, what if he stabs you and then runs off? Should we really put our trust in someone that has threatened to kill us, or should we be willing to deliver greater violence upon this individual?

Training and skill set aside, because this topic is really about mindset. For me I believe we should be willing to beget violence with greater violence. A controlled rage if you will. Most of us are not familiar with this kind of concept. We live our lives without incident and continue on as if nothing can ever happen. My focus is not to tell you, that you are wrong for giving up your wallet and hoping, my focus is to try and get you to look at yourself in the mirror and ask. Can I do this. You have to be honest with yourself. You are the only one that can determine whether or not you have it or not.

We have chosen to carry a gun and a last resort tool in our tool box. Right? I would think the scenario presented would be an example of a time, in which we may need that tool. Our minds have to be ready to use that tool. Are you prepared? Only you can answer that.Again you have to be honest with YOURSELF. I believe that mindset is one of the most important tools in our tools boxes if we are to take our self defense seriously.

I jot this down not to make anyone feel bad, not to hurt any feelings, but to bring to light the severity and responsibility that we each have while carrying a gun. In my opinion we should have a proper mindset before working on our skill set. If our minds are not there, the skills will not matter....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If placed in a life threatening position, my response will be the most ruthless and violent I can muster. My goal will be to survive the encounter, not worry about a Monday morning arm chair quarterbacks reaction to my actions.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Not sure I agree with all of it. There are lots of people out there who have never been in a violent situation, which makes it hard I would think to really know if they have that mindset. So should they not carry? I think fear is the great motivator. When put upon by a bg guy if you have the opportunity because you chose to carry fear will allow you to take action. I have seen little old ladies who have shot intruders who have never been in a violent situation in their life. Than there are those of us who carry who have situational awarness all most of the time and can an would defend ourselves an others if put upon. Just having the right to have a gun gives many the opportunity to defend themselves that otherwise could not, mindset or not.
    Brad426 likes this.

The only answer to a violent attack is swift and overwhelming violence in return.
    Easy8, 40Bob, OD* and 13 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Not sure I agree with all of it. There are lots of people out there who have never been in a violent situation, which makes it hard I would think to really know if they have that mindset. So should they not carry? I think fear is the great motivator. When put upon by a bg guy if you have the opportunity because you chose to carry fear will allow you to take action. I have seen little old ladies who have shot intruders who have never been in a violent situation in their life. Than there are those of us who carry who have situational awarness all most of the time and can an would defend ourselves an others if put upon. Just having the right to have a gun gives many the opportunity to defend themselves that otherwise could not, mindset or not.
    In bold: Not the intent of the Thread..

Dismissing mindset IMO is a mistake. I understand that some have not had a violent encounter. That does not mean that they can not have the proper mindset...

I agree with this. The mindset of aggression (controlled violence) was instilled in me during my years of highly competitive athletics. This aggressive mindset has to be taught and harnessed throughout our everyday lives. I don't mean we walk around being aggressive jerks, but we walk around with smiles and good cheer until it is time to be aggressive. There is truth to fight or flight when confronted with an dangerous situation. As thinking individuals, our first instinct should be for flight, but there may or will be times that flight is not possible, then we must fight with everything that we have. If you do not have any agressive tendancies, then you will be at a disadvantage. Growing up, I played many contact sports that trained me to have controlled agression. To be able to hit when needed and when to advoid when needed. I do see a correlation to physical athletic training and self defense. I was tought how to hit and also how to take a hit. How to control anger and analyze oppurtunity to strike. These skills have stayed with me even though my college athletic days are well behind me. I do train as a CC holder, but without an controlled aggressive streak, will I be able to do what is necessary?
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    You certainly didn't hurt my feelings. I have spent a lot of time, money and effort to become ready and able to quickly kill the one(s) who came to hurt me and mine.
    Harryball, Wolf357, OD* and 5 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    You hurt my feelings HB. I am sitting here now hugging my Hello Kitty in tears.
    Harryball, WHEC724, OD* and 7 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    "In combat, one will not rise to the occasion, but will instead fall to the lowest level of one's training." I have heard variations of that theme from various, highly-regarded sources and have seen it time and time again in force-on-force training scenarios. If you don't know what you will do when it happens, I can quite likely accurately predict it. I'm not trying to sound harsh, or hard, just telling you as I see it.
    40Bob likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

If faced with a BG wanting my wallet, car keys, cell phone, or anything belonging to me, he will have to get past my gun. One of us will die or be wounded because I will not just arbitrarily hand over anything.

(Maybe the cell phone it's a piece of junk.)
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Dismissing mindset IMO is a mistake. I understand that some have not had a violent encounter. That does not mean that they can not have the proper mindset...

I understood an think its a great question an topic. I just thought how could little 65 year old jane doe know if she has the right mindset if never involved in a violent situation. You can read , train but you wont know till it happens. This is where fear can motivate you to defend yourself. Not saying you will hit your target if your shaking but putting something down range is a good start. I agree training will go a long way, practicing till its second nature. Mindset I think for most of us was made before buying a gun. We at one point said to ourselves its time. I may not be the best shot but I want the right an the opportunity to defend myself. Great topic Harry there is alot to think about .

I understood an think its a great question an topic. I just thought how could little 65 year old jane doe know if she has the right mindset if never involved in a violent situation. You can read , train but you wont know till it happens. This is where fear can motivate you to defend yourself. Not saying you will hit your target if your shaking but putting something down range is a good start. I agree training will go a long way, practicing till its second nature. Mindset I think for most of us was made before buying a gun. We at one point said to ourselves its time. I may not be the best shot but I want the right an the opportunity to defend myself. Great topic Harry there is alot to think about .
    You would be surprised at what a 65 year old Jane doe can do.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

VIP Member
    I used to know a guy who owned a pawn shop over in Georgia. He was a confident good ol' boy who always carried and talked about how he'd never hesitate to defend himself.

One night, he was closing up shop and for some unknown reason, went out unarmed. A punk walked him back into the store at gun-point, and he complied. Once they were inside and out of view of the public, the kid killed him and then took his time robbing the place.

Look deep into yourself and determine your resolve.
    Harryball, OD*, 40Bob and 2 others like this.

My little Jane Doe is 67 an I would not want her wingin a way with her 642 at me, I duck alot slower than I used to:)

I would submit that force on force training while a good thing, is far from a guarantee of how one will react when faced with the possibility of their own demise. NO training class no matter how expensive or complicated can accomplish the reality of facing the real thing. In classes you know nobody is out to kill you. Or even injure you seriously.

Many Many armed folks that are familiar with firearms have over and over again successfully defended their lives from deadly attacks without so much as one half hour of some expensive training class. I would dare say more untrained folks have than trained.

Im not saying training is bad because it isnt. Its a good thing. But its hardly a necessity for one to be able to use a firearm in SD. And while it will help in a lot of ways, it cannot simulate the real thing. It also cannot take into the account an individuals base nature. Being highly competent in force on force training does not mean that same person will not fold like a house of cards when faced with someone that intends to kill them.

On the other hand a person with a working knowledge of the gun they carry and a willingness to use it and a fighting desire to stay alive is quite capable of SD which has been proven time and again before any force on force or tactical training courses were even available to the general public.
    joker1 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links