Depression medication and CCW application

This is a discussion on Depression medication and CCW application within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, in Louisiana (a fairly pro gun state, we passed the ability to obtain a lifetime CCW not too long ago), there are some questions ...

Like Tree39Likes
  • 15 Post By Poorly
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy
  • 4 Post By Ghost1958
  • 9 Post By SwordMaster
  • 2 Post By Badbullgator
  • 6 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Depression medication and CCW application

Depression medication and CCW application

So, in Louisiana (a fairly pro gun state, we passed the ability to obtain a lifetime CCW not too long ago), there are some questions on the CCW I'm unsure about.

The questions in particular involve having taken depression medication or having been assessed as having a mental illness (which depression can qualify as.) I did some research, and in some states it asks past 5 years, the wording here just seems to be period. I have taken depression medication previously growing up, teenage ********, and it often seemed to make it worseish, I was just kinda growing up. About a year ago, I started taking a light dosage of a medication to assess several problems, a seasonal kind of depression, some anxiety I was having, and as a smoking cessation aid (Welbutrin). I've since felt like I don't need it really at all, but I feel pretty good most of the time, so I've just kind of went with the flow of continuing to take it, ain't broke, don't fix.

So, I would have to answer both questions yes, but that requires me to have a form filled out by my prescribing doctor. I don't live near that doctor anymore, he's not very accessable to me, and I don't wanna make an appointment just to have him sign off on a form that I'm sane and stable because I took some situational aids a few times in life. Point is, I'd have to travel 1.5 hours and pay for a doctor visit for a simple form. Huge hassle. I've also seen people say to hell with it, say no to the question, the less the government knows about you the better (Which I'm also in agreeance of.), but I have to sign a medical release with my application (Doubt they'd come that close through it.) or what would happen sh ould I need to use my weapon in a self defense situation and it came out I was on medication?

This is the one thing keeping me from submitting my application immediately, I've been sitting on this issue for 2 weeks or so trying to decide.

TL;DR: depression meds and CCW application.

2. Remove Ads

I took welbutrin for a couple of years about 20 years ago. I had no difficulty getting the Utah CCP 5 years ago. Course I was able to get off it as soon as I divorced my cheating wife I don't recall having any difficulty with the questions. I would NOT misrepresent on the application. Bite the bullet and see the doctor. Call him first and see what he has to shy. If you don't like what he says get another opinion from a local doc.

Coverups are nearly always worse than the "crime" . If you are found to be dishonest on the app you will have made it much more difficult if not impossible to secure the permit in a timely manner.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

If it's truly not an issue, then why lie on the application and set yourself up for a snowball of fail?

Answer truthfully, sign the medical release and let the sheriff get the letter from your doctor stating you're good to go. That will save you the trip and the doctors fee and most likely there is only a minor processing fee the doctor charges for that type of correspondence. If you're not ok in the doctors opinion, then you may need to accept that you have some work to do. Mental issues and false info on a government application could lead you to a path where you'll see no more guns.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I got a question that is somewhat the same. Today the doctor told me I have (amongst other stuff) Fibromyalgia and wants to give me an anti dep. for it. I told doc I wasn't depressed at all, just in pain. This is all that was offered. So, do I keep taking otc advil? I'm not about to risk my cwp for some pill the doc "thinks" may help. Quite honestly I don't believe these kinds of meds do anything to help but just screw folks up (just IMO there). I'd like to know what's up with these meds and cwp too! If I were to try this drug will it put my cwp at risk even thought it's for Fibromyalgia?
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Welcome to the forum!
    I believe that anyone on "medication" should not even think about CC for good reasons. Maybe just me.....but if you're dependent on something else other than yourself...it aint right. I welcome the dis-functional to debate me on this. If you take life altering drugs to cope with every day situations AND have a CC permit....then I' worried as to how this could have happened. I could care less about the circumstances. Like me going to work every day knowing some of my co-workers use drugs. Don't **** up the system! Why is it I feel that removing myself from the human race would be a good thing? WTH?

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I got a question that is somewhat the same. Today the doctor told me I have (amongst other stuff) Fibromyalgia and wants to give me an anti dep. for it. I told doc I wasn't depressed at all, just in pain. This is all that was offered. So, do I keep taking otc advil? I'm not about to risk my cwp for some pill the doc "thinks" may help. Quite honestly I don't believe these kinds of meds do anything to help but just screw folks up (just IMO there). I'd like to know what's up with these meds and cwp too! If I were to try this drug will it put my cwp at risk even thought it's for Fibromyalgia?
    Many medicines, even anti-depressants, have less common 'secondary' uses. It's possible that the drug in question has some relevance to treating your issue. If you're in pain now, with whatever treatment you're currently using, he may be attempting to find something that will give you better results. If you're not clear on the reasoning, ask him to explain. If you don't like the answer, don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

Since when does a ccl app ask what medications you on and how in the world would they get access to that info unless you signed a release for your doctor to give it? Which im sure you cant be forced to do.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    I believe that anyone on "medication" should not even think about CC for good reasons. Maybe just me.....but if you're dependent on something else other than yourself...it aint right. I welcome the dis-functional to debate me on this. If you take life altering drugs to cope with every day situations AND have a CC permit....then I' worried as to how this could have happened. I could care less about the circumstances. Like me going to work every day knowing some of my co-workers use drugs. Don't **** up the system! Why is it I feel that removing myself from the human race would be a good thing? WTH?
    If you have zero personal or professional experience with clinical depression, please refrain from displaying your ignorant opinion on the subject. A citizen, even depressive ones, treated or not, have Constitutional rights. Fools make laws and rules about people who struggle on the inside when they have not the hint of a clue about living that life.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    You have nothing to worry about, the statutes in NC are pretty clear as to what issued are a concern. Being prescribed an antidepressant in itself is not a reason to invalidate your carry permit.
    Poorly and Aceoky like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by audiovicious View Post
    So, in Louisiana (a fairly pro gun state, we passed the ability to obtain a lifetime CCW not too long ago), there are some questions on the CCW I'm unsure about.

The questions in particular involve having taken depression medication or having been assessed as having a mental illness (which depression can qualify as.) I did some research, and in some states it asks past 5 years, the wording here just seems to be period. I have taken depression medication previously growing up, teenage ********, and it often seemed to make it worseish, I was just kinda growing up. About a year ago, I started taking a light dosage of a medication to assess several problems, a seasonal kind of depression, some anxiety I was having, and as a smoking cessation aid (Welbutrin). I've since felt like I don't need it really at all, but I feel pretty good most of the time, so I've just kind of went with the flow of continuing to take it, ain't broke, don't fix.

So, I would have to answer both questions yes, but that requires me to have a form filled out by my prescribing doctor. I don't live near that doctor anymore, he's not very accessable to me, and I don't wanna make an appointment just to have him sign off on a form that I'm sane and stable because I took some situational aids a few times in life. Point is, I'd have to travel 1.5 hours and pay for a doctor visit for a simple form. Huge hassle. I've also seen people say to hell with it, say no to the question, the less the government knows about you the better (Which I'm also in agreeance of.), but I have to sign a medical release with my application (Doubt they'd come that close through it.) or what would happen sh ould I need to use my weapon in a self defense situation and it came out I was on medication?

This is the one thing keeping me from submitting my application immediately, I've been sitting on this issue for 2 weeks or so trying to decide.

TL;DR: depression meds and CCW application.
    There is this thing called the United States Post Office and for a relatively reasonable price they will pickup the form directly from your house if you place it in a stamped envelope. The postal carriers will deliver this envelope to the doctor's office and then the doctor can sign the form, place the form in a new envelope, put a stamp on it and then the postal carriers will pickup the new envelope containing the signed form and deliver it to your house. I know, what will they think of next?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Lord im glad i live where I do. Sign a medical release to get a CWL??? I dont take anything but if id have had to do that here id just have OCed or cced without the stupid permit if I needed too. They are taking this pry into your life thing way to far to get a permit you shouldnt even have to have to carry in the first place. JMO
    Aceoky, Poorly, jenatron and 1 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    And the most ignorant statement of the day goes to.... The gentleman from Flippin, AR!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Since when does a ccl app ask what medications you on and how in the world would they get access to that info unless you signed a release for your doctor to give it? Which im sure you cant be forced to do.
    I know i am in Maryland a gun control state , but they ask me on my phone interveiw what Meds. i was taking had to tell them . It is not on the form about what meds but it sure came up on the phone .FYI
    As far as the OP i say tell the truth if you are outed that you lied you are done end of story.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I know i am in Maryland a gun control state , but they ask me on my phone interveiw what Meds. i was taking had to tell them . It is not on the form about what meds but it sure came up on the phone .FYI
    As far as the OP i say tell the truth if you are outed that you lied you are done end of story.
    Wow, Maryland has too much time on their hands. I suggest a move to VA. I would rather spend four hours a day on the beltway than live in that crap hole (politically speaking).
    Ghost1958 and Tzadik like this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Administrator
    Welbutrin is a mind altering prescription drug prescribed for clinical Depression even if you are using it as an aid to stop smoking AKA since people who are going through nicotine withdrawal in quitting smoking often suffer from (you guessed it) Depression.

It is a serious crime (in and of itself) to lie on any firearm application.

It is also a forum rule violation to admit to breaking the law on DefensiveCarry (which you have not done) but, it is a forum rule violation for any forum member to give you any advice telling you to break the law or suggesting that you break the law.

which has NOT been done....so far.

So...no advice can be given to you here on DC except to:
    #1 Tell the truth on your app
    and/or
    #2 get the necessary paperwork from your Doctor that states that you are of sound mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

None Love The Messenger Who Brings Bad News.
    - Closed.

Links