Keltec pf9 or revolver?

This is a discussion on Keltec pf9 or revolver? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife just got her CCW, and she has a Keltec PF9, she wants a pink lady revolver from charter arms. Anybody have any preferences and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Keltec pf9 or revolver?

Keltec pf9 or revolver?

Wife just got her CCW, and she has a Keltec PF9, she wants a pink lady revolver from charter arms. Anybody have any preferences and or suggestions? Now she shoots quite well with my SR40C so I'd like to see her with a SR9C. She says the Sr is too big. Open to suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

Well, personally, I fall into the "whatever you want, dear" camp. For what it's worth, I haven't read anything bad about the Charter revolvers.
    emawildcat and Eagleks like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Not sure about charters, but my wife loves her 642
    6459 likes this.

Does she handle the PF9 OK?
    If so, let her carry that while she makes up her mind about something else.
    Notice I said while SHE makes up her mind.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    My wife wants the Lavender Lady (purple equivalent) and the reviews I've read say that they are a booger to shoot; very painful. I haven't shot one so I can't verify, but that may be a consideration. If they kick like a mule and hurt your hand/wrist, you won't want to practice with it and you won't get proficient with it and it won't be a good choice for an EDC.

The PF9, on the other hand, was the gun that Zimmerman used to defend himself. It's famous now.

She should carry what she shoots best and feels most comfortable with.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

My wife had a Ruger LCP but wanted a Ruger LCR....in .357 magnum.

Well, I got her the LCR and she really likes it, so do I.

Even with the .357 caliber, it can still shoot .38 spl and +P ammo. It has a sweet trigger pull and in my opinion the best carry revolver out there.
    Cleandean likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

anything but a Kel Tec.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Ruger LCRs are very nice, but for the size I would recommend a SCCY #2.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

My PF9 go's Bang every time...
    foxytwo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by swelly61 View Post
    Ditto
    Glock 22, Glock 23, Glock 32, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

VIP Member
    If she wants the Charter Arms Pink Lady, get it for her. She's 10 times more likely to carry a gun she likes.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My pf9 couldn't go through a magazine without a double feed. After the 3rd return to Keltec they refunded my money. I would rather carry a hammer than a Keltec. Your results/opinion may vary.

Since no one else has asked, how is she intending on carrying? On her body, or in her purse or someplace else?

If she is carrying on her person, find someone who has a small revolver and see if she can find a comfortable place to carry it. While you are at it, let her shoot it and see what she thinks about it.

My wife wanted a 642. We got it along with a CT laser for it. It sits in the gun safe now. She didn't like to carry it because it was too bulky. She carried a PF9 for a while, but it was a pain to keep clean and rust free in our Texas weather. It shot ok for her. Now she carries a CW9, which she shoots lots better than the PF9 and requires about 1/10th the maintenance as the PF9.

I think it is nearly impossible to get the perfect carry gun the first time. There will be lots of suggestions, but they will be based on what others like.

We all are different.
    pillpopper likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    My KelTec PF-9 has been very reliable but...it is not a fun gun to shoot especially for a new shooter! As for autos a Glock 19 is tough to beat! It is fairly easy to conceal and is relatively easy for new shooters to master and shoot well. Snub nose revolvers are not always the best to start out new shooters on. A S&W Mod 10 or 15 is a pretty good revolver to learn on and is very forgiving. Used trade-ins can be found for about the same $$ as a brand new pink Charter. The S&W will hold its value better and will be a much better shooting gun in the long run. JMHO.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyZX636R View Post
    she has a Keltec PF9, she wants a pink lady revolver from charter arms.
    Why couldn't she have both? Maybe one day she'll feel like toting one, the next day the other. I say get the revolver, so she'll have both options, and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by swelly61 View Post
    Same here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links