Colorado Concealed Carry Instructor Question

This is a discussion on Colorado Concealed Carry Instructor Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a Fedral Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, and I have been for 20 yrs. Under Colorado Statue I meet the Criteria to teach, Concealed ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By Harryball

Thread: Colorado Concealed Carry Instructor Question

Question Colorado Concealed Carry Instructor Question

I am a Fedral Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, and I have been for 20 yrs. Under Colorado Statue I meet the Criteria to teach, Concealed Weapons in Colorado.

My question is, Is there a Certification I must obtain from the State of Colorado, or DO I have to make my own Lesson Plans and Certificates, and submit them to the County I am going to teach in.

Does anyone know this iformation.

Thanks, Zmantex

2. Remove Ads

I would think the county, and Colorado could answer those questions much better, and more accurate, than you will ever get from this forum. Here it's everyone's opinions, which may turn out to be entirely false, and mis-leading, as oftentimes is the case. Just MHO

Senior Moderator
    You really need to talk to a Colorado certified Instructor to find out the details. I believe we have a few on this forum. Give them time, maybe they'll chime in.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You might also call the local sheriff's office and ask the questions.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    You might also want to refer to the Complied Statutes of Colorado under the chapter on firearms and specifically, concealed carry.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum! Besides asking your local law enforcement/Sheriff's department, Google is your friend - try C.L.E.F.I.A..
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Welcome to the forum.

There is no certified material that you must use. I developed my own and also use NRA materials. You do not have to submit them to the county but you will have to provide your certification number on the certificates you give out to your students. At least I do as an NRA instructor.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    This is the requirements for Colorado; "(VI) A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete."

So as long as you teach a handgun course, it qualifies as a CCW course. Now I would suggest you follow the NRA Pistol course, just because it is kind of the defacto standard.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    This is the requirements for Colorado; "(VI) A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete."

So as long as you teach a handgun course, it qualifies as a CCW course. Now I would suggest you follow the NRA Pistol course, just because it is kind of the defacto standard.
    I have a question for you about deadly force, does CO require that it be taught? If they do, then you would want to teach a different NRA course, their basic pistol has no deadly force section....
    Aceoky likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Links