Visiting friends in New Jersey

This is a discussion on Visiting friends in New Jersey within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be traveling cross-country in about three weeks for the holidays, my CCW is good for most states that I'll be passing through or visiting. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting friends in New Jersey

I'll be traveling cross-country in about three weeks for the holidays, my CCW is good for most states that I'll be passing through or visiting.

I've heard that in NJ it is illegal to even own JHPs. So I'm wondering if I should only pack FMJ ammo for my entire trip. Of course I'll not carry while in New Jersey but I'm wondering if it means big trouble just to have hollow points in a lock box in my vehicle while there?
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

VIP Member
    I would have the same concern, I would take pw r balls

VIP Member
    I know that possession of HP ammo is illegal in NJ and carries a multi-year penalty per cartridge. I am not clear on it, but I do not believe you would be covered under any peacable journey statute since you are staying in NJ. I believe you would be prohibited from possessing a firearm since you are stopping in NJ. You may want to verify that, as I always drove around NJ when going north.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    When I was in Jersey two months ago, I carried Federal EFMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I know that possession of HP ammo is illegal in NJ and carries a multi-year penalty per cartridge. I am not clear on it, but I do not believe you would be covered under any peacable journey statute since you are staying in NJ. I believe you would be prohibited from possessing a firearm since you are stopping in NJ. You may want to verify that, as I always drove around NJ when going north.
    possession of HPs are not illegal, NJ residents themselves can buy and own them, just cannot carry them (which in itself is unlikely anyhow, as only like 2% of the applicants for carry beside law enforcement actually get it.) They can have them for home defense, though.

you would not be prohibited from possessing a firearm either, as an out of state resident, but it is going to have to be slide-back locked, in a container, in the trunk, seperate from any ammunition. ammo should be put in the glovebox or somewhere else out of reach (not in the trunk with the gun). You should also not have any ammo loaded into any magazines either.

oh also, keep the magazines that load 15+ at home. unless you have magazines with blank tabs to reduce the loaded round capacity, leave that gun at home too. Any hangun capable of more than 15 rounds is not legal.
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Heck, I used to CCW a PPK with hollowpoints back when I would go there from L.I. to snowboard! Whoops!!

Stupid state.

Quote Originally Posted by threeonebravo View Post
    possession of HPs are not illegal, NJ residents themselves can buy and own them, just cannot carry them (which in itself is unlikely anyhow, as only like 2% of the applicants for carry beside law enforcement actually get it.) They can have them for home defense, though.

you would not be prohibited from possessing a firearm either, as an out of state resident, but it is going to have to be slide-back locked, in a container, in the trunk, seperate from any ammunition. ammo should be put in the glovebox or somewhere else out of reach (not in the trunk with the gun). You should also not have any ammo loaded into any magazines either.

oh also, keep the magazines that load 15+ at home. unless you have magazines with blank tabs to reduce the loaded round capacity, leave that gun at home too. Any hangun capable of more than 15 rounds is not legal.
    Thanks for the info... I think I'll carry Flat-nosed FMJ ammo on my trip. I'll also leave the banana clips for my Kel-Tec P3ATs at home...

Sure wish the NorthEast & SouthWest Coast would act more like they were part of the US of America. It pretty bad to have to lose your 2A rights when crossing a state line.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

hey, anytime. yeah i try to avoid the PRNJ as much as possible, but unfortuntely I'm relatively close to the border, so it's not always possible.
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

Why would anyone want to live in NJ? I am out of a job because I refuse to live there, the company that I have worked at for the past few years closed down the AZ offices; they offered me a nice raise and relocation package to move to their NJ office, no way man, never.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by threeonebravo View Post

What a load of crap! I knew there was a reason I NEVER wanted to go to NJ again! (Come to think of it, NY, DE, or MD either.)

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Not all of the Northeastern states are crazy. Maine is a "shall issue" state and cash and carry gun sales. The only places I can't carry are schools and banks and courthouses. Not too shabby.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    You realize a non-resident can't possess a firearm in NJ?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

A non-resident CAN possess a firearm in New Jersey, but only for immediate lawful purposes (i.e. going to/from a shooting range or competition). Also must be unloaded, locked and in the trunk of the vehicle with ammunition stored separately.

I've accidentally made a wrong turn and ended up in New Jersey while carrying; After promptly making a U-turn and high-tailing it out of there, I couldn't help but wonder how many felonies I was committing just because I made a wrong turn...
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

We all know how well New Joisey's strict gun laws have cut down on violent crimes there. What a utopian toxic waste dump.

Sorry, I just had to say that.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Lets just say that Federal Law concerning peaceable journey New Jersey violates it all the time. Best wat to travel in NJ with a weapon is have it in a lock box in the trunk and as far as hollow points you can own them and shoot them just not at people. Remember you are NOT a citizen you are a subject there. No disrespect to any NJ LEOs but creative writing is very popular when LEOS write up their reports there. My younger brother is a Detective in South Jersey and he has told me that it was taught to him when he got his job and more advanced when he was promoted. I'm just glad I moved away from there 30 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links