Cold Weather Carry Issues

This is a discussion on Cold Weather Carry Issues within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it's gotten pretty cold here in Salt Lake this week (or at least what a former Arizonan like me would consider cold, 30s for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Carry Issues

Cold Weather Carry Issues

Well, it's gotten pretty cold here in Salt Lake this week (or at least what a former Arizonan like me would consider cold, 30s for the highs). Time to break out the winter clothing.

During my dry fire practice tonight, I spent some time wearing gloves. I recently bought a new, fairly thin pair. They're warm, but still thin enough that I can easily manipulate the safety, rack the slide, and reload.

I also tried drawing from under various combinations of outer garments. Some members of this forum have commented that they carry in the outer pocket of their jacket during the winter. This assures quick access, but I really don't want to have to transfer a weapon back and forth from a jacket pocket to some other carry position (potentially exposing it to other's view) whenever I go from indoors to outdoors. So I wanted to see if I could find a solution that keeps my pistol in it's IWB holster, but still allows quick access when I'm dressed warmly.

I tried a fairly warm parka that was my standard cold weather jacket last winter (before I carried) but it was pretty bulky, and I had a lot of trouble pushing it out of the way during the draw. One time I actually ended up frisbeeing the pistol, sending it flying across my bedroom The gun was OK, but I'm certainly glad this was during dry fire. I'm sure the muzzle was pointing right back at me at some point in it's trajectory.

The combination I finally ended up deciding on for winter carry is (from the skin out) a t-shirt, a unbuttoned denim or flannel shirt (my indoor cover garment), a fleece jacket, and a gore-tex rain jacket. I've worn the fleece/rain jacket combination before and it's plenty warm (if it's not warm enough, I don't want to be outside!). The rain jacket has both snaps and a zipper. If I use some of the snaps, then zip the fleece up above the topmost snap on the rain jacket, I can unzip the fleece and unsnap the jacket in one motion. Then I sweep back the jacket, fleece and unbuttoned shirt and draw my pistol. It takes a little longer than my draw with just a light cover garment, but not much. Getting all three garments swept back is a little tricky, but I think it should become automatic with enough practice.

So, how does everybody else carry it cold weather?

2. Remove Ads

leather jacket and a shoulder harness ;)

just a comment .....if u do carry under a jacket on yoru wasit either OWb or IWB .... throw something with a little weight in the pocket on the side you carry. when u have to draw and u sweep your coat back it has like an ancor to hold it back ....i wear real light jackets at times and it works really well ...

VIP Member
    Oddly enough it just got cold here in KY and I wore a coat and realized I did'nt have good access to mine either. ( I'm new to carrying ).. I did put it in my front coat pocket , but really did'nt feel it was secure enough.. On really cold days i can see it'll be a challenge...Looking forward to seeing what we hear here..

VIP Member
    I also like wearing a shoulder holster in winter. I find it to be much more comfortible. Even in the coldest weather I seldom button or zip up my jacket. So for me it would be tee shirt, shoulder holster, open shirt and then jacket. With an open jacket and shirt might be the reason I catch colds a lot. LOL

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Living in Las Vegas, I've waited for cooloer weather, just to be able to wear a cover garment. When it's 110, I only use pocket carry or a fanny pack. Most of the winter, I wear a light jacket, usually over either a long sleeve shirt worn unuttoned, or a Sigtac vest. This week, with lows in the high 20s, it's been a heavier coat. But I still don't wear gloves often, just not needed. So, I just use my IWB holster, a light cover garment, and the required coat. I usually don't even jip up, so I can still draw, if just a bit slower.

Lead Moderator
    Sweatshirt for indoor cover of the gun and a unzipped jacket. Also I have been known to carry my NAA .22 in my slash pocket.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Ah , the joys of cold weather carry.

After struggling for months to conceal a snubby or pocket pistol ,
    I could now carry a Desert Eagle.

With Parkas and heavy sweaters I approximate the Michelin Man.
    That hand in my pocket could be holding anything.

I only wear gloves for shoveling snow or changing a tire.

Not to mention the possibiliies of temporary/door to car carry
    of ammo and "accessories"in totes and office bags you tend to
    use during inclement weather.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Well it finally got cold in Texas. For the last couple of days I've worn my typical G19 OWB. I wear a warm vest and a leather jacket over it. I zip the vest and leave the jacket open most of the time. Indoors I take off the jacket and wear the vest open. The thing I like about the vest is that it is not too warm to wear indoors. On warmer days (and today when the temperature goes from 24 this morning to 50 this afternoon), the vest is all I need.

Stay warm and be safe!
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

just keep practicing Blackeagle, you're on the right path...I wear thin gloves or no gloves for this reason. to answer your question I wear a leather jacket...I never had a problem drawing...I can see what you mean about having a thick parka specially if it's zipped up. try not to throw anymore guns though, unless you plan on throwing your gun at the BG... :P

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    try not to throw anymore guns though, unless you plan on throwing your gun at the BG... :P
    Only if it's empty!

VIP Member
    My coat has zipper and narrow velcro closures, so I skip the zipper and use the velcro so it's really easy to tug my coat to open it.

The sleeve ends can be tightened with velcro, which is a great way to keep the sleeves on bulky coats from interfering with the operation of a semiauto.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I carry the same 3 or 4 inch revolver in an OWB holster year round. In the summer, it is usually covered by a loose short sleeved shirt. In winter, it is covered by whatever jacket I need. To draw, though, I don't sweep the cover garment back, as I might sometimes have it zipped and sometimes not. I use my thumb to slide under the garment and draw. With a firm grip, either gloved or not, the gun comes right out and onto target. With a bit of practice, this is much faster for me than trying to sweep a coat or shirt out of the way.
    Self-reliance, sacrifice and service . . .
    or
    Shoot, shovel and shut-up.

I wear Hatch All Weather neoprene shooting gloves. They actually grip better when wet. I also just about always wear a closed cover garment, so I do not sweep either. My favorite jacket for winter is quite roomy, but has an elastic cuff around the bottom that usually rides below my gear (4" XD9 in Galco Concealable OWB) without printing. I can curl my fingers under it, lift it over the grip and as I let go to draw pulls tight against my body, out of the way.

I recently bought a fleece jacket at Bass Pro. Fleece doesn't drape worth a flip, prints bigtime. The Columbia raincoat over that just makes it worse.
    Jeff
    Preparing the way...Straightening the path.

Many people carry in a shoulder holster in the colder months because of the increased comfort level while seated as well as the lack of "My pants have fallen and I can't keep them up" that many people get from wearing a sidearm improperly (or wearing one that is just plain old too big). From my personal point of view I wear a belt slide most of the year just to the rear of my hip and tilted butt forward. With the outer garment of choice being one that is semi loose fitting. Regardless of the outer garment that you wear ( light weight jacket with flashlight in strong side pocket, ski type jacket with elastic waistband, etc) you have to practice moving the outergarment (either up, away, etc) securing a grip and drawing. This is true because you can have a 50 DE that shoots like a minigun but if you can not get it out is does you no good at all.
    Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links