Securing a Handgun Poolside

Securing a Handgun Poolside

This is a discussion on Securing a Handgun Poolside within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My family joined a private pool this year, and that led to consideration of how the heck to secure my sidearm at poolside while I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Securing a Handgun Poolside

Lightbulb Securing a Handgun Poolside

My family joined a private pool this year, and that led to consideration of how the heck to secure my sidearm at poolside while I was in the water. My primary concern is keeping the gun away from curious children, not outright theft.

Looking through my box o'holsters, I found an old unused fanny pack. This no-name pack uses zippers, with pulls that have an eye in them. I put a padlock through the eye, and presto - a way to keep the gun secured! The padlock can be tucked into the outer pocket, so it is not obvious that the largest pack pocket is locked.

Master Lock makes a padlock that uses a simplex mechanism, with one large central button that can move up, down, left, and right. You can set your own combination. This makes for a reasonably quick access, and no concern about losing a key.

And of course, the fanny pack can be used for all the other things you need to bring with you to the pool - phone, wallet, keys, etc. While I generally eschew the use of a fanny pack, it does work in this particular application, without being too obvious.

I usually carry my LCR in this role, in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, in the pack. I'll throw a speed strip in it as well.

Just putting this out there, for anyone else trying to figure out how to stay armed while enjoying the pool.
    shooterX and Blue Thunder like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Sounds like a good approach! Certainly better than an LCP in a ziplock bag, hiding in the speedo.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    under water pistol and shoulder holster. you won't even need the speedo

Heckler & Koch P11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SPP-1 underwater pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

CC even when swimming!

And when the fanny pack turns up missing while your back was turned? What about the kids that cut the fanny pack open to get "money" and end up playing with your handgun?

If you're swimming in a place that is so dangerous that you feel your life is in danger and you need a gun at pool side while doing so then maybe find a different pool where you could feel safe leaving it in the car or locked in a locker.

The risk of your gun getting into the wrong hands is far greater than the risk of a deadly threat while swimming I 'd think.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Just carry a flare gun. If you start drifting too far away on your inner tube, you can signal for help.

But personally, I just don't carry to the pool.
    blitzburgh and mck1975 like this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

There's things I do in life that I just don't need to be (or can't be) armed for. Swimming at the pool or beach is one of them. Especially since I like to visit a tiki bar or two while beach side.
    msgt/ret, mck1975, SCXDm9 and 2 others like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    And when the fanny pack turns up missing while your back was turned? What about the kids that cut the fanny pack open to get "money" and end up playing with your handgun?

If you're swimming in a place that is so dangerous that you feel your life is in danger and you need a gun at pool side while doing so then maybe find a different pool where you could feel safe leaving it in the car or locked in a locker.

The risk of your gun getting into the wrong hands is far greater than the risk of a deadly threat while swimming I 'd think.

I'd have to agree.
    Secret Spuk and FloridaBiker like this.

Secure the gun in your car. If there are private lockers you can put your own lock, that may be an answer. If I may ask a question... why do you feel you need a gun at a private pool deck?
    GhostMaker and SCXDm9 like this.

VIP Member
    You could just shove it down the front of your speedo's and smile big at all the people gawking at you!
    006.9V2.1, Secret Spuk and BeefyG like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry a spear gun... works in and out of the water!
    stylus likes this.

No lockers, so that is not an option.

This pool is down a long trail through a secluded area from the parking lot. More concerned with critters than criminals, though some cars have been broken into, so I'd rather have the gun with me.

Our stuff is left at poolside within sight, and this is a private pool, so everyone there is known. Plus, there is a lifeguard on duty. Don't think I need to worry about kids cutting the pack open, and besides, my wallet is in the outside pocket, which is not locked.

No bar, and if there was one, no matter - I don't drink alcohol.

I am more concerned with the drive and walk to/from the pool, than I am about safety per se while at the pool. Hence the need to secure the gun while there.
    shooterX likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

WOW!
    The darkest places in hell
    are reserved for those who maintain
    their neutrality in times of moral crisis.

I'd be more worried about the fanny pack growing legs than anything else. Lock or no lock, one can bust open a zipper in seconds with a pen, stick, knife or what have you.

Look at Pacsafe stuff. Retractable cable locks, packs and bags with locks and slash resistant fabrics. Not foolproof but plenty of deterrent for poolside.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Secure the gun in your car. If there are private lockers you can put your own lock, that may be an answer. If I may ask a question... why do you feel you need a gun at a private pool deck?
    That's his business. Not my place to question someone's motives for being armed at any given time. If we want to go that route, why not go armed only when Bloomberg, Feinstein, or Rahm think it is appropriate!
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links