S.C. CCP Renewal

This is a discussion on S.C. CCP Renewal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I called SLED today.I had a question about renewing my CCP.I thought we could only renew 90 days ahead of time. Just fyi for those ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Manderinobyebye
  • 1 Post By Dan060
  • 1 Post By Manderinobyebye
  • 2 Post By scorpion12
  • 1 Post By Dan060

Thread: S.C. CCP Renewal

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar

S.C. CCP Renewal

I called SLED today.I had a question about renewing my CCP.I thought we could only renew 90 days ahead of time.

Just fyi for those who may not know,the lady at SLED said we could renew our CCP six months ahead of time.
    Last edited by Manderinobyebye; August 28th, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Dan060, Brent95 and tcox4freedom like this.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the info.I thought it was 90 days as well.
    Manderinobyebye likes this.

Dan i guess they changed it at some point.I guess maybe because of having so many renewals and applications.

A CCP instructor i know,told me a couple of weeks ago,his permit had expired before he got his renewal back.He must have sent his in when they made the change,because it didn't take 6 months..I'm just glad we can still carry if it does expire before we get them back
    Dan060 likes this.

I just applied for my renewal online... and it's only allowed within 90 days from expiration. If you're mailing in your appplication, then it can be done 6 months in advance.

If SLED changed the rules, it would have been nice to know but I completed the form online within the past 2 weeks and it specifically stated that online renewals were only allowed within 90 days... and there were no notices on their website to the contrary...

From SLED's website 8/28/13 3:18pm EST:

You will not be able to apply On-Line if you are:

No longer a United States Citizen.
    Applying for renewal prior to 90 days of your expiration date.
    Your permit expired in excess of 60 days.
    Arrested or charged with an offense for which you plead guilty; were found guilty, paid a fine, forfeited bond, were placed in jail or placed on probation since your last CWP Application.
    A non-resident of South Carolina.
    Active military and stationed in South Carolina.
    A Circuit Judge adjudged you as unfit to possess a firearm.
    Ever been adjudicated mentally incapacitated or committed to a mental institution.
    Discharged from military service with a discharge other than honorable.
    An unlawful user of, or addicted to, unlawful drugs, alcohol, or any controlled substance.
    Your address and/or telephone numbers have changed since your last renewal.

Yea it would have been nice to know Scorpion.This will be my 2nd time renewing and had i known this in May,when i misplaced mine,i would have renewed,instead of just getting a replacement.Of course,they may have changed this after May.I didn't ask,since it didn't matter.

Anyway,that's what the lady told me earlier,you can six months ahead of time.

One thing i didn't ask,was there a difference between online and mailing so far as the six months.They should be the same,but i didn't ask her.She was aware,i was mailing mine in.

I called SLED just to see what they would tell me.All i asked was how far in advance could we renew our CCP.She told me the same thing six months.I guess they must have changed it.
    Manderinobyebye likes this.

If it's 6 months now that should be enough time to get them back.

The CCP for SC has a huge backlog it's unreal! Most all that went through my class this year have taken more than 120+ days. SLED only has one ID printer to process the state and it runs all the time!
    G17,G19C,G21,G22c,G22RTF2/Gills,G26,G31,G32
    Colt Python 6'' .357mag & 4'' Trooper

NRA Pistol Instructor
    SC CWP Instructor

I'm putting my CCP renewal in the mail this Tuesday.Will see if things are any quicker.No biggie either way but just curious.

I guess I'll play it safe and send mine in 6 months in advance, which is October for me. Thanks for the heads up.

Links