Shirts outlining my gun...could I get in trouble for this?

This is a discussion on Shirts outlining my gun...could I get in trouble for this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Simply put, I wear a LOT of Under Armour shirts. 90% of my wardrobe is Golf Shirts and I don't really wear T-shirts that often. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Shirts outlining my gun...could I get in trouble for this?

Simply put, I wear a LOT of Under Armour shirts. 90% of my wardrobe is Golf Shirts and I don't really wear T-shirts that often. I'm having an issue with the Golf Shirts showing the outline of the gun. Could I get in trouble for this even if the shirt is hiding the gun? Our CCW class was a little vague on this, but the vibe I got was that as long as you are making the effort to conceal you are fine.
    Dan060 likes this.

Unless your shirts are very slim fitting, I don't think you will have a problem. My attire is quite similar to yours (mostly Columbia though) and I rarely have any issues with printing. I carry an XDS in an IWB holster at around 4:00.

I did notice that the printing was reduced significantly when I switched from a holster with a single clip centered with the gun to a double clipped holster where the clips are spaced out on each a side of the gun. The gun carries a lot closer to my body now and has virtually eliminated printed with almost all of my clothes.

With all that being said, most people either don't pay attention to their surroundings or will be too busy texting to even notice if you are printing.

VIP Member
    What holster are you using? As stated by the previous poster, that can have everything to do with printing issues.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

It really depends on the laws in your state and the interpretations of those laws. In Virginia The definition for concealed is as follows:

"For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature."

I interpret this as saying that printing is not illegal in Virginia.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordMaster View Post
    It really depends on the laws in your state and the interpretations of those laws. In Virginia The definition for concealed is as follows:

"For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature."

I interpret this as saying that printing is not illegal in Virginia.
    I would interpret that as, if I can tell it's a gun under your shirt, it is not concealed, thus illegal. An undefined lump under a shirt that makes me suspicious, no. An outline of a grip clearly visible, yes.

Depending on how SC law defines "concealed," the OP needs to consider a looser fit and/or perhaps ditching Under Armor altogether when carrying.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

That was my interpretation as well. It seems that the question now is what is the definition of "printing". I always assumed that printing refered to "the lump" but if you're talking about wearing a skin tight Under Armour shirt over a "concealed" firearm and the gun outline is obvious; then yes, that would be illegal... by Virginia laws.
    I briefly read over the South Carolina laws just now and I could not find a definition for their interpretation of "concealed".

OP- Have you thought of using an ankle holster if you're wearing a tight fitting shirt? Or maybe just open carrying. The clothes that we choose to wear are essentially what "conceal" the firearm.

Not sure if it being "identifiable" makes it illegal as actually being "visible" would do, but why would you conceal a weapon but then lose the concealment with a shirt fitting too tightly? Is it THAT big of a problem?! If you're gonna conceal, why not just actually conceal the gun instead of maybe concealing it? That's the whole purpose of a concealed carry permit, no?
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Usually depends on the state. In Texas if you print that's an offence. Just be careful. Or change your carry style.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabeacpa View Post
    usually depends on the state. In texas if you print that's an offence. Just be careful. Or change your carry style.
    No It's Not ! There is no "Printing" law on any books,as long as there is a cover garment and the gun itself not an outline can't be seen you are legally concealed
    Aceoky, Snub44 and RichB70 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Once again... we jump through flaming hoops to try to obey their laws. The truth is that because of they way these laws are written; a judge or a jury or anyone could interpret it either way. That's why its best to err on the side of caution.
    Last edited by SwordMaster; August 29th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Our law states "Concealed or mostly concealed". I take that to mean some printing is acceptable.

I don't really care one way or another. If it prints, it prints. If it doesn't I'm good to go too.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member
    It is my understanding that in Texas accidental or inadvertent exposure of a concealed weapon is not illegal. Intentionally or carelessly exposing one's weapon is illegal.
    Aceoky and Snub44 like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordMaster View Post
    That was my interpretation as well. It seems that the question now is what is the definition of "printing". I always assumed that printing refered to "the lump" but if you're talking about wearing a skin tight Under Armour shirt over a "concealed" firearm and the gun outline is obvious; then yes, that would be illegal... by Virginia laws.
    I briefly read over the South Carolina laws just now and I could not find a definition for their interpretation of "concealed".OP- Have you thought of using an ankle holster if you're wearing a tight fitting shirt? Or maybe just open carrying. The clothes that we choose to wear are essentially what "conceal" the firearm.
    From 23-31-210:
    (6) “Concealable weapon” means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property. [My emphasis]

My interpretation is that if it's "covered" it's concealed. Any level of "printing" would have to be determined by the SC courts as to whether it meets the definition of concealed or not.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yeah, that's pretty black and white. Apparently South Carolina law doesn't really allow for much wiggle room regarding this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    As replied already, there are holsters and then there are true CC holsters. Not sure what you have but the difference say with a Raven Conceal is extreme CC. Not sure how tight your UA shirts are but, if I am not mistaken, they tend to be form fitting and are made to wisk perspiration---THAT is their purpose. If you are concerned about printing and if you have time to write this thread you are concerned and already know that the shirts are not the most prudent choice for CC even though they are probably legal. Does it not make sense to think about alternate shirts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links