No Guns At Fairgrounds

This is a discussion on No Guns At Fairgrounds within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the biggest and oldest fairs in Eastern Pa. has just informed the public that no guns will be allowed on the fairgrounds. This ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: No Guns At Fairgrounds

No Guns At Fairgrounds

One of the biggest and oldest fairs in Eastern Pa. has just informed the public that no guns will be allowed on the fairgrounds. This doesn't affect me because I hate fairs, carnivals, and the like but I am now wondering if this move will make this a soft target for some idiot who wishes to do harm.
    If anything happens, I'll be sure to post it.

No Guns Allowed At The Bloomsburg Fair | WNEP.com
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Reading the article, it sounded like the DHS did some arm twisting. I know if it were me, I'd have extra money in my pocket. No entry fees or other other expenses since I wouldn't go.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    "We’re hoping that the people aren’t going to be too upset with us. This is going to happen in the future everywhere you go,” Barratt said."

No, it won't be happening anywhere I go.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Well, that fair wouldn't be getting my money.
    Aceoky likes this.

The really funny part about all this is that they have held gun shows on this same fairgrounds.
    StormRhydr and CIBMike like this.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    I carry at our fair , i do business with them repairs and such. As a private contractor . I can't carry as a fair goer .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Excluding county fairs, carrying at the Indiana State fair is still prohibited... But, considering the fact that poorly erected bleachers and stage structures have been killing and maiming visitors, I don't think thugs would be a primary concern of mine if I were to attend this annual event, which I refuse to do.
    SCXDm9 and kahrcarrier like this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

VIP Member
    It will be interesting to see how this shakes out: here is from the PA page of ushandgunlaw:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

"Title 18 § 6120. Limitation on the Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition.
    (a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership,
    possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or
    transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."

While elsewhere on the same page:
    "“No Firearm” signs in Pennsylvania have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is
    specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in
    a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you
    refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you
    are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who
    may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you
    even if you are within the law."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I'm not going to punish my kid because of stupid laws and criminals. I go unarmed every year to the SC state fair up in Columbia.

There's more to life than carrying a gun.
    SCXDm9, Sister, Raven312 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this shakes out: here is from the PA page of ushandgunlaw:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

"Title 18 § 6120. Limitation on the Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition.
    (a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership,
    possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or
    transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."

While elsewhere on the same page:
    "“No Firearm” signs in Pennsylvania have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is
    specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in
    a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you
    refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you
    are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who
    may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you
    even if you are within the law."
    Basically they will just be doing a search much like stadiums do. I would guess you could probably get in to the fairgrounds with a CC because I doubt they would pat you down. If they found out you were CC'ing they definitely could force you to leave, but could not press charges for anything if you comply.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    Basically they will just be doing a search much like stadiums do. I would guess you could probably get in to the fairgrounds with a CC because I doubt they would pat you down. If they found out you were CC'ing they definitely could force you to leave, but could not press charges for anything if you comply.
    Pretty much what I was thinking. I know of no venues which actually pat down attendees, but have seen wands in use.
    Tuco

No problem in Texas:

Concealed Handgun Policy
    A person holding a valid Texas Concealed Handgun License (or valid CHL from a reciprocating state) is permitted to enter onto State Fair property with his/her concealed handgun; provided, however, that CHL holders will not be permitted to carry their concealed handgun inside the Cotton Bowl Stadium, a facility defined under Texas Penal Code 46.035 as "the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place." Note that the Fair does not provide lockers for the storage or checking of weapons for CHL holders, so if you plan to attend a game or event in the Cotton Bowl, please secure your weapon at home or in your vehicle prior to entering the fairgrounds. We want the Fair to be a fun and safe experience.
    Bstock87 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Do you really think any large public gathering such as a fair hasn't been a soft target all along?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Do you really think any large public gathering such as a fair hasn't been a soft target all along?
    Maybe I should have said softer.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    Yeah, here's a question for everyone. if your going to an event and they are doing the usual searches of bag, coolers and such and your deep concealing do you just go on through. I actually had this happen one time. The security guy asked me to lift up my pant legs, I complied, lifted my pant leg just enough to say I did and he was to busy looking at the next person inline to notice that I had an ankle holster on. I went on through the line. He never said that weapons were not permitted and there were no signs. I was a bit surprised because I wore the ankle holster because the pervious time I had gone there they were checking jackets. I guess they mix it up to try and keep us guessing.

If stopped I would have said I assumed he was checking for outside food or drinks being brought in to avoid having to pay the inflated captive audience prices.

So if they don't say what their looking for are we supposed to volunteer everything we have on us? Isn't that kind of like an illegal search where they are just looking for "stuff"?
    NONAME762 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links