So, I'm in Toronto for a few days...

This is a discussion on So, I'm in Toronto for a few days... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Needless to say, I'm far away from my EDC. As I've been walking around this city I've wondered if ANY law-abiding Canadians are carrying? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: So, I'm in Toronto for a few days...

Needless to say, I'm far away from my EDC. As I've been walking around this city I've wondered if ANY law-abiding Canadians are carrying? I know the laws are strict here, so I'm guessing not. Any Canadians here on DC that can chime in? Not looking to debate so much, just curious if the average (or even "better" than average citizens ever carry concealed here in Canada?)

All that aside, I'm enjoying Toronto. Very nice people, and seems to be a great city.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

VIP Member
    Glad your having a good time , My family and i were in Canada ( Falls ) and a French Canadian lady pushed my sons wheelchair out of the way while i was stopped with him in it . They are not fond of Americans and i must say i am not fond of the few i have met or bumped into. But i guess there are A-Wholes everywhere . And any Americans caught with guns traveling in Canada you can just say bye for awhile.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I had an office in Toronto - great place, but don't get me started about Montreal.

Just to stay on topic: I thought all handguns are banned in Canada.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

'Some' good subjects do carry when in town. More common than it used to be, I am told.

No doubt, the criminal element is armed far better, but keep a much lower profile through corruption.
    If you stay long enough, you will see some sick stuff. Folks are PC'd there and is diff than nice.
    I wouldn't go back, myself.

Toronto is a great place - I've been there a lot, unfortunately not recently. The waterfront and Little Italy is where you'd be likely to find me. The most multi-cultural city I've ever visited (and I've spent a lot of time in NYC).

But concealed carry? Fuhgeddaboudit.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

But concealed carry? Fuhgeddaboudit.
    That's pretty much what I figured.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

Canada aka Western Canada and the province of Quebec are pretty much two totally different worlds.

Western Canada (which Toronto falls in to) is more "Westernized". Quebec is mostly French...and yes, they can be exceptionally rude. I'm also pretty sure they're still trying to "split off" from the rest of Canada.

You'll not likely find very many Canadians legally carrying a handgun. Handguns are not outlawed in Canada, they're generally more expensive than the states and there are ownership and registration requirements. How do you know this you ask? While in Afghanistan I served with a Warrant Officer in the Canadian Forces and we had lots of discussions about guns, Canada, an how I'm happy to be in Virginia in January versus Manitoba!

Canada is very strict in their approach to guns and the rights of citizens there to have them. I was in Ontario, once and it was a nice place to visit, the folks were really friendly towards we Americans but their Border Guard was almost a jerk at times.

We went there just for a day, it was an unplanned trip as were in Frankenmuth, MI and thought of going there just because. We were grilled by the Border Guard and when he asked if I "owned" any firearms I told him "yes, I do."

He wanted to know what they were and I began my "list" of them, pistols, rifles, shotgun...etc. He stopped me and asked what do you DO with all those guns?

I was pretty much wanting to turn around and go back to the U.S. at this point, but I relented and said that I'm from West Virginia and we do a bit of hunting.

"What do you hunt with a 9mm pistol?" came his reply.

"Rats. Great big rats, Mr. Border Guard." "But seriously, just tell me where to turn around and head back across the river to my own Country and I will be fine."

He looked at me, a bit disgusted and asked me plainly if I HAD any of those guns with me. I told him no, I have a Canadian cousin and she told me what not to have when crossing the border. ALL of my guns are at my home in WV."

He let us proceed across the border. I had a good time other than that.

Rule #1 do not bring guns to Canada, ever.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Toronto is too full of .
    The thugs are the only ones toting guns there as the Canadian citizens have given up their rights to SD and the use of pistols for the most part.
    That is the over-all consensus that I have of Ontario, from my travels through Sarnia, Windsor, London, Toronto and all points in between. They all look at me like I am a criminal when I tell them that I have a CC permit(yes I actually show it to them), and they can't believe their is a need for it.
    Most of the people from Ontario I've ever interacted with have been friendly and outgoing, good people for the most part.
    Have not been to Quebec/Montreal or Western Canada(past Ontario), but from the exposure to the French Canadiens that I have had here in Michigan when they have come here, they are very arrogant and full of themselves and look down their noses at Americans.
    But truth be told, they do the same to the rest of their fellow Canadians in all the other provinces.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

From what I read not too long ago, handguns with barrels under a certain size are not even allowed to be taken into the country.
    I forget what the length was, but you could take a hunting handgun in if you wanted to go through all of the hassle.
    There is a link somewhere, but I don't have it handy.
    I haven't been across the border since the early 80s, but all they asked then was if I had anything to declare. Spent a nice day driving around Windsor.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Stopped and talked to a Toronto cop on way out of Blue Jays game. He was carrying a Glock 22. Now, of course, we all know they are LEO's, not lawyers or experts on firearms law. He told me that Canadians can own handguns and bring them to the range, etc. but carry seems to be forbidden. I asked him if he could carry off-duty, and said it was discouraged. I could tell by how he responded that some (maybe many?) cops do. He was friendly and willing to talk. Told him I was able to carry in about 30 or so states in US. He didn't seem too fazed one way or the other. Just different here, I suppose. I will say that I'm glad our firearms laws aren't like Canada!

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

snip
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    a French Canadian lady
    As a former subject of that place, I offer the following:

1. Real Canadians don't much like french Canadians. In fact, I don't know of anyone anywhere that likes french Canadians. The only good things to come out of Quebec are strippers and goalies (hockey goalies in case it's not obvious).
    2. If she was really french Canadian, she was no lady.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Visit my blog at www.scgunblog.com
    Follow my on twitter @scgunblog

Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    Stopped and talked to a Toronto cop on way out of Blue Jays game. He was carrying a Glock 22. Now, of course, we all know they are LEO's, not lawyers or experts on firearms law. He told me that Canadians can own handguns and bring them to the range, etc. but carry seems to be forbidden. I asked him if he could carry off-duty, and said it was discouraged. I could tell by how he responded that some (maybe many?) cops do. He was friendly and willing to talk. Told him I was able to carry in about 30 or so states in US. He didn't seem too fazed one way or the other. Just different here, I suppose. I will say that I'm glad our firearms laws aren't like Canada!
    He was right for the most part. I know several Canadian cops and half of them carry a gun when off duty (at least they did when I lived there. All but one is retired now). Perks for the special people.

I'm going from memory here, so don't take this as the gospel.

Non-restricted firearms include shotguns and rifles commonly used for hunting.
    Restricted firearms include some handguns and some semi-automatic rifles (I assume semi-automatic shotguns fit in this category as well).
    Prohibited firearms include handguns over 32 caliber, handguns with barrels less than 4 inches, short barreled long guns and military style long guns. Anything fully automatic is also prohibited.

You must get a permit to obtain and own any firearm and ammunition. I don't know exactly how it works today, but the last I remember it was the same permit. A Firearms Acquisition License (FAL) I believe. There is a litany of rules and regulations on where and how each type of gun may be stored and/or transported.

As far as I know, there is no permit, license or any way possible for Joe Citizen to legally carry a loaded gun, concealed, open or otherwise. Do some do it... other than the obvious criminals, I wouldn't know.

You must also register some of your guns. I believe they just scrapped the long gun registry, but the handgun registry is still active. Now, I was a subject of the Queen before all this registry nonsense was put into place. I knew several people that owned restricted and now prohibited firearms. I'm confused by the rumors I keep hearing in Canada that a substantial number of restricted and prohibited guns have still not been registered (20 years later) because not a single person I know failed to register every single gun they owned. Nobody kept a gun and hid it away, buried it on the farm, or just flat out ignored the law. Not one person.
    Visit my blog at www.scgunblog.com
    Follow my on twitter @scgunblog

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCanuck View Post
    Prohibited firearms include handguns over 32 caliber, handguns with barrels less than 4 inches, short barreled long guns and military style long guns. Anything fully automatic is also prohibited.
    Nobody kept a gun and hid it away, buried it on the farm, or just flat out ignored the law. Not one person.
    Prohibited: Barrel less than 4", .25 or .32 caliber. Made my grandmother's US Revolvers 5-shot .32 snubbie a no-no. My mother has the permit and license for that one and a HiStandard .22 target pistol.

Will neither confirm or deny the last lines, but there's a fortune in grease buried up there.

Used to go to Canada about every 3 weeks when I was an over-the-road trucker. I met very few rude people in Quebec, but I was usually in the countryside. The only Customs Inspector I thought was out of line was also nosy about whether or not I owned guns, how many, and of what type. I decided to have fun: I own about 3 dozen of various kinds; I buy/sell/trade/shoot them as time permits; no, I do not use any of the handguns for personal protection--that's what shotguns are for!. She gave up.
    Many people where I came from (central BC) open carry without problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links