Got asked to leave AutoZone

This is a discussion on Got asked to leave AutoZone within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Auto Zone here in Oklahoma does not have a no guns sign. I had a full sized 1911 in an IWB at 6 o'clock with ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree196Likes

Thread: Got asked to leave AutoZone

Auto Zone here in Oklahoma does not have a no guns sign.

I had a full sized 1911 in an IWB at 6 o'clock with a T shirt untucked I was bent over looking at the fittings and I guess I was "printing"

and woman came up and not in a loud voice or anything but louder than I think she should have and said, SIR ARE YOU CARRYING A GUN ? She said this in a very authoritative voice like she was somebody. I replied, Yes I am legally carrying a weapon. YOU WILL HAVE TO LEAVE THE STORE IMMEDIATELY.

I just looked at her and said fine and turned to walk away. About halfway out of the store, the Manager who knows who I am an I sometimes shoot the breeze with asked me if I found what I wanted. I told him yes but I was being ordered to leave the store.

He looked at me funny and said WHY?

I pointed to the lady and said, she told me I had to leave because I have a concealed weapon.

He looked over at her and shook his head.

You go ahead and find what you need and I will be back in a minute. He then went straight to the woman and they went back in the back area of the store.

I grabbed the fitting and a can of hand cleaner and he walked up to the counter and rang it up and said, Sorry about that, have a good day.

He didn't charge me anything for the $5.49 package of fittings or the $4.00 tub of hand cleaner.

OD*
    Win-win.
    357and40, Aceoky, USM1976 and 5 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Sounds like the manager straightened her out like a piece of wire.

AND you made out like a bandit in the process.
    Too bad you didn't need like, $200 worth of crap.

I went through the AZ website and couldn't find anything pertaining to the banning of firearms on their property.
    Not even anything about banning employees from carrying, although that may be in the papers you sign as you gain employment there
    southernwi and farsidefan1 like this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

GH
    Another example of the gun-ignorant public that assume that all guns are either illegal or unwanted. In her assumption she made an ass of herself but not you. This episode brings home the philosophy to make sure your gun is concealed at all times under all circumstances - something I don't do myself as I live in an open carry state.

I wonder how ashamed she'd be if she found that you were an off duty or undercover LEO?
    Aceoky and Poorly like this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Well at least the Manager didn't have his head up his.....

Was this "lady" just a customer or an employee? It's kind of vague as to who she is.

Good for you that this situation did not get way out of hand. Unfortunately many of the people out there have been conditioned to fear guns and their owners by our Liberal friends. Guns are always bad, unless a Liberal wants to own one an carry it, then it's "ok."

I'd write an email or other to the Corporate Headquarters to praise the manager who intervened and also to report on the abusive woman who assaulted you verbally over your legal firearm. That makes a "hostile" environment for shopping, and they need to know so they can make it a safer place to shop.

Just my dos centavos.
    Brad426 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

There was a recent video, (posted here), of some guy open carrying an AR 15, into a walmart. What really struck me about that video, was some walmart "manager" (young guy), and a few employees around him, directing the open carry guy to leave.

I was reminded of that video, when reading the OPs post about that rude woman in AutoZone. Im floored by these idiots (the employees), reactions.

If the people carrying were indeed bag guys, I doubt that some Mrs. Kravitz type, imperiously ordering them to "get thee gone", would go down well, or work out well for them.

What are these people thinking?!?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I am amazed at the thought process of individuals like that lady.

In her mind, you carrying concealed is such a threat that you must leave the store; however, it was perfectly safe for her to go ask the "crazy gun nut" to leave who will comply without going postal. If a person legally carrying concealed is so dangerous why would she "risk" her personal safety even talking to them. I would think that I would either say nothing and hope that nothing bad happened until the person left or call the cops immediately and hide.
    BadgerJ, OD*, Aceoky and 8 others like this.

Personally if I were in that situation and asked if I had a gun I would have said NO its my tool belt ( or cholostomy bag ). She would have had no authority to frisk you. If she still insisted I leave I would gladly but I would not admit to carrying a firearm that was covered.

Wasn't it Autozone a few months back to fired an employee for bringing a gun into the store durring a robery? Although this manager sounds as if he know his local clientele and whats best for business the female clerk could have just been enforcing corporate policy. If that's the case I hope the incident won't cost the manager his job.
    helderberg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I doubt that some Mrs. Kravitz type

Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm just surprised somebody other than me remembers Mrs. Kravitz.
    Poorly, Sister, hfjeff and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    AutoZone has a no weapons policy for employees. Nothing ever mentioned about customers carrying. What they don't know can't hurt them.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Lol, shes the perfect "busy body" example. Surely she lives on in reruns.

[QUOTE=heffy4822;2893665]
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I doubt that some Mrs. Kravitz type

Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm just surprised somebody other than me remembers Mrs. Kravitz.

It seems she drank the Kool Aide that gun ownership is socially unacceptable.Didn't you have the social awareness to hang your head in shame and slink away?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by heffy4822 View Post
    But which Mrs. Kravitz?
    Aceoky, Poorly and bmcgilvray like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Abner, Abner...ABNER!
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    Abner, Abner...ABNER!
    Ring a ling a ling "Police Station"...."Yes Mrs. Kravitz. Yes Mrs. Kravitz. Oh, I see, yes Mrs. Kravitz. A witch you say? Oh my, Mrs. Kravitz. We will get right on that."
    GSDSchutzhund and Diddle like this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links