Moving to new county, Durham NC

This is a discussion on Moving to new county, Durham NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently took a new job, which has me moving from Guilford to Durham county. As of right now, my permanent address is still in ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By noway2

Thread: Moving to new county, Durham NC

Moving to new county, Durham NC

I recently took a new job, which has me moving from Guilford to Durham county.

As of right now, my permanent address is still in Guilford as I own the townhouse I was living in there. I am renting this out to family while I move into a new place in Durham county.

Durham is the only county in NC that requires gun registration. How does that affect me moving to the area? I realize no one here is a lawyer, but on personal opinion should I just keep my legal, permanent address in Guilford since I still own the townhouse there?

For anyone in the area - is there anything in particular I should be aware about with Durham and CC in comparison to the rest of the state that people may tend to overlook? I've taken a look at a few places online, but most only mention the gun registration as the only difference.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Are you required to change your address on your permit in NC? If so I would imagine your new address will be in Durham. I would say you need to follow the laws there.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Your "abode" is where you sleep at night on a regular basis. You may own and maintain property elsewhere, but you'll be residing in Durham. Like Archer said, if you're requires to change the address in your DL, there's your answer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle View Post
    I recently took a new job, which has me moving from Guilford to Durham county.

As of right now, my permanent address is still in Guilford as I own the townhouse I was living in there. I am renting this out to family while I move into a new place in Durham county.

Durham is the only county in NC that requires gun registration. How does that affect me moving to the area? I realize no one here is a lawyer, but on personal opinion should I just keep my legal, permanent address in Guilford since I still own the townhouse there?

For anyone in the area - is there anything in particular I should be aware about with Durham and CC in comparison to the rest of the state that people may tend to overlook? I've taken a look at a few places online, but most only mention the gun registration as the only difference.
    Assuming you have a CHP, you are required to submit a change of address to the sheriff in Guilford within 30 days (14-415.11 (d)). A renewal will be with the department of the county you are living in at that time; the renewal notice is sent by the issuing sheriff (14-415.16a,b).
    Registrations are with the clerk of court. I believe it's $5. Check municode for Durham city/Durham county ordinances; firearms are usually under parks and recreation, but may also be elsewhere.

I'm a resident of Durham County and recently obtained my CCP through the county and was never advised of any handgun registration requirement nor can I find it on the Durham county sheriff's website. This has me baffled. I've researched it and state bill SB 226 was written to repeal the act and it is currently stalled in some sort of committee.

I'm not quite sure what to do here. Should I call the Sheriff's office and try to get in compliance?

To the OP's question-

As I mentioned earlier, I was able to obtain a CCP without any major issues other than some billing issues with the medical records offices that delayed my approval by a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I'm a resident of Durham County and recently obtained my CCP through the county and was never advised of any handgun registration requirement nor can I find it on the Durham county sheriff's website. This has me baffled. I've researched it and state bill SB 226 was written to repeal the act and it is currently stalled in some sort of committee.

I'm not quite sure what to do here. Should I call the Sheriff's office and try to get in compliance?

To the OP's question-

As I mentioned earlier, I was able to obtain a CCP without any major issues other than some billing issues with the medical records offices that delayed my approval by a week or so.
    You won't find it in any quick look up other than perhaps on the sheriff's web site. This is a holdover of the NC Session Laws of 1935 Chapter 157, in which Durham county was allowed to retain the registration requirement.

Here's a link to a site with an explanation and the complete text of the law.

Text of Durham NC gun registration law

BC.Cruiser-

Thanks for the text on this. I'm a bit worried now. I suppose I have to register them to be in compliance, but will my offering to register them bring to light my current non-compliance?

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I would talk to a lawyer before registering my guns.

While I live in Guilford Co, I have coworkers in Durham and have been a member of a regional forum for a few years and I can honestly say that I don't know of anyone who registered them. While it may be technically on the books, I am not sure it is even enforced anymore.
    Aceoky likes this.

My worry is if I get pulled over with my CCW or something and they charge me with no registering...then I lose my CCW permit.

Maybe I'm looking into it too much...

Links