Do you train with a safety?

This is a discussion on Do you train with a safety? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious what other people's thoughts are. If you carry a firearm with a safety do you train to disengage it? I currently carry a ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: Do you train with a safety?

Just curious what other people's thoughts are. If you carry a firearm with a safety do you train to disengage it?

I currently carry a Shield with the safety off. But now I am considering carrying with the safety on and training to disengage it in my drawstroke. This has nothing to do with worrying about carrying a gun without a safety it is more if I have to draw it and the safety some how became engaged I would rather have the muscle memory of having disengaged it 100s of times.

Tapatalk Galaxy S4
    Win94ae and gatorbait51 like this.

2. Remove Ads

...good plan...millions of 1911 owners do it every day...
    finst3r, Aceoky, warbirds and 4 others like this.

Lead Moderator
    I do train with a safety on my carry guns. Only one gun does not have the feature, I'm sure I swipe the safety area of the slide out of muscle memory. I understand the Shield safety is small and may be difficult to use. I have seen a few mentions of not using the safety from other owners, however you need to decide what works best for you.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have no problem disengaging the safety and I am sure it will become easier over time.

Tapatalk Galaxy S4
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I don't use the safety on the shield, but when I use the gun at the range or practice drawing, I do sweep the safety down in case it accidentally gets set. I also set it when practicing to make sure that my sweep will disengage it. As you know, it's a low profile safety and there's not a lot to grip.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

No manual thumb safeties on any of my firearms. My safety is my brain, and I try very hard to never disengage it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Nope no thumb safety for me. I'm a Glock and DAO revolver guy and that's how I train. And it's one of the reasons (weight being the other) why my Ruger SR1911 remains a safe queen.

IMO S&W made a big mistake putting that puny unusable safety on the shield. If they wanted a safety there at least make it big enough to manipulate. Like the 1911's or the ones on their full sized pistols (there's an optional thumb safety version)

I only carry 1911 style pistols, out of holster,safety off, back to holster,safety on. Repeat, Over and Over and Over, To me it was always a natural thing.

Yes, carried Berettas in the military and have a Shield and 1911 now. Muscle memory is an amazing thing. It's never failed me while training in any capacity.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I don't have a Nano but I do train with the safety on for carry guns.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

None of my carries have safeties. That being said, I'm a firm believer that if your gun has a safety, you should use it.
    gatorbait51 and bkenut like this.
    "Holy crap, what a turd that thing was. I love Ruger, but man, the first time I pulled the trigger I thought I was going to have a birthday before it broke. " - Yarg28

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    ......I do sweep the safety down in case it accidentally gets set.
    Here is why I would never carry a gun with a manual safety. Something that gets accidentally set while I'm trying to save my life isn't for me. You should be your only safety.

VIP Member
    I train to sweep the safety on my 1911 only. My other carry guns are decocker models. They get 99% of carry time.
    gatorbait51 and chandler4228 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joedub View Post
    Just curious what other people's thoughts are. If you carry a firearm with a safety do you train to disengage it?

I currently carry a Shield with the safety off. But now I am considering carrying with the safety on and training to disengage it in my drawstroke. This has nothing to do with worrying about carrying a gun without a safety it is more if I have to draw it and the safety some how became engaged I would rather have the muscle memory of having disengaged it 100s of times.

Tapatalk Galaxy S4
    The only handguns I engage and disengage the safety are my 1911s. I've a few decades of competition experience with them, so the muscle memory even at my age is working. I do not use the "safety' in my Beretta 92, because it's pretty safe otherwise. I carry Glocks and handguns that do not need any safetylever.

It is my humble opinion that a gunowner ought to familiarize and become proficient with his/her firearms to a point where everything is in muscle memory. That takes time and practice. No way around it.

Some safeties are just designed poorly, unfortunately. I would not carry such firearm, because there are plenty excellent and safe guns available.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links