Important Point: "Preparing to Carry Each Time You Do":

This is a discussion on Important Point: "Preparing to Carry Each Time You Do": within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I often Carry a Colt Detective (Gureaaat Gun!) or it's alloy-body identical twin: a Colt Cobra .38. . With an "easy on" type of holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Important Point: "Preparing to Carry Each Time You Do":

Important Point: "Preparing to Carry Each Time You Do":

I often Carry a Colt Detective (Gureaaat Gun!) or it's alloy-body identical twin: a Colt Cobra .38. . With an "easy on" type of holster I can get the gun on and be out the door without thinking about it - AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM. I found myself walking someplace and suddenly noticing the holster was trapped in my shirt or underwear, or the gun way further back on my belt than I usually am used to for drawing - once I found my belt not secured and only the pants' waist-snap alone holding them up - and another that the cover-garment I was wearing was way too short for the gun, half-exposing it.

In an emergency I would have spent 10 min. trying to find the gun or untangle it and the other time have had my gun read like an open book.

So now I have a ritual: after holstering I tug hard at the holster to make sure it's really clipped onto the belt. Next I holster my gun and go thru a couple of "mimed" draw motions in slow-motion, then in close to normal time. I do NOT draw a loaded and chambered gun in my house! Too easy I think to space and out of excess energy actually pull the trigger. (That IS what my body is used to from range-practice, after all.)

But I'll grasp the hilt and then, leaving the gun holstered, make the exact draw and aim or point shoot positioning with my empty hand and arm and actually check my sighting. I feel this reminds my body of the proper motions so if I would ever have to draw and fire (and I hope to god I never do) it would not feel like my first time since the last range trip. (Ever find when beginning to shoot at the range your first shot is wide of the mark until you settle into stance and gun-hold again? Well, I don't want to be "slowly getting re-acquainted" with my gun when a guy with a club is coming at me full tilt. This is no time to be "wide of the mark").

Last, I check carefully which cover-garment I will wear and make sure the gun is concealed properly and that I can reach it quickly and get rid of the lower part of the garment fast if drawing. To do that, I put the garment on before practicing the mime-draw. Lastly I go to a mirror to check the concealment.

I know this sounds like a LOT of preparation and it does take 5 or 7 minutes extra before leaving home, but that is not much; But I KNOW I have a dangerous weapon on and feel ready to use it, knowing in advance the "feel" of what is correct. In short, I'm more prepared should that horrible incident occur than if I'm out the door in 10 seconds. And I also feel I'm in a "safety-conscious-mode" which I owe legally and ethically to all people I will be around. I have a GUN on and am responsible. I'm not putting a cell-phone in my pocket. Then once I am out the door I leave my gun alone and don't have to screw with it in public trying to adjust it and tuck clothes in etc. That's where you can have an ND and shoot yourself or someone else by mistake etc.

Anyway, I think prep for Carry is important.
    Last edited by detective; September 1st, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I just take mine out from under my pillow and slide it on my belt and I'm good to go.
    RTF_Squared likes this.
    "We've already run the misfits out of our country." Matthew Quigley

Good thoughts.
    I personally don't like clip-on holsters. Mine threads on the belt. OWB
    As to cover shirts, all of mine are of the proper length. I have them "custom tailored" (Nice to have a seamstress in the house)
    Gun is checked and then holstered.
    detective likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    Good thoughts.
    I personally don't like clip-on holsters. Mine threads on the belt. OWB
    As to cover shirts, all of mine are of the proper length. I have them "custom tailored" (Nice to have a seamstress in the house)
    Gun is checked and then holstered.
    Most of my holsters are also belt-slot but this one for snubs works really well so I use my one paddle-holster (not a clip-on)

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Much of the time, I wear an IWB that has a clip on fastner. The clip is commercial grade and will not slip from where I place it. The holster will not move or come up with the gun should I need to draw my gun. I always carry and I always know exactly where my gun is. One secret to successful carry is having a quality leather holster. Another secret is to carry the same way each time and carry the same gun each time. I know there are those that rotate their carry guns and it is their right but I also lost a friend (off duty LEO) because he rotated guns and was trrying to find the safety on a 25-5 S&W. I now own the gun and I assure all that it does not have a safety like his Colt Commander.

Just as when one changes to different shoes, a difference is noted and adjustments need to be made. Carry all the time, carry the same gun each time and use the same holster, leather and not plastic.
    detective and nontechguy like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I put my gun on the other morning then went in and picked a shirt put it on and instead of leaving it untucked like to cover the gun I tucked it in and walked out. The wife calls on the cell phone and advises I may want to put on a cover garment or remove the gun I still couldn't understand what the problem was until I reached around and realised the gun was not covered.

I will try Detectives solution and see if it improves my aging mind.
    detective likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I put my gun on the other morning then went in and picked a shirt put it on and instead of leaving it untucked like to cover the gun I tucked it in and walked out. The wife calls on the cell phone and advises I may want to put on a cover garment or remove the gun I still couldn't understand what the problem was until I reached around and realised the gun was not covered.

I will try Detectives solution and see if it improves my aging mind.
    It's natural to do these things. I'm 65 now and have driven the same route between home and work hundreds and hundreds of times. I can pay little attention and drive on mind-auto-pilot and most of the time we get away with these things. But 10 yrs ago I had an accident and totaled my car from not paying close attention. Luckily it just involved my car. I was OK and others too. So, now I try to pay attention fully when I drive. The same with us and guns. It's robot-consciousness that causes accidents and things like you and I have written about. I'm convinced most NDs happen out of this robot-mind and most failures to be aware when danger lurks close by. BGs are good at spotting this, it's their career. If you look like you are alert and capable they'll most likely go to someone else. I believe that.

If I find I went into a dicey area without knowing it, and have stopped for a quick trip to a grocery store for an item and only sense it then, when I leave the store I'll purposely stop outside the door and scan the whole area with one hand in my pocket or resting near my hip. I want to telegraph to any wanna-be out there the "cop-look", alert, aware and just maybe armed. I don't look like I'm picking a fight, just aware and capable. "Go Elsewhere If You're Thinking About It". BGs prey on the weak and those paying no attention: they want an EASY blow to the head, or knifing and quick wallet-grab etc. with no problems. They mostly DON'T want the invasion of Normandy about it. So, usually they'll go elsewhere, cowards at heart as they are.
    shockwave likes this.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    i pocket carry. less to think about and mess up while prepping to carry.
    dangerranger likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by squid86 View Post
    i pocket carry. less to think about and mess up while prepping to carry.
    Gotta make sure whatever pants are worn provide easy pocket access to the gun though. I'm sure you do that.
    tdave likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I chose the smallest gun I could easily shoot, Because I do things like that too. By having a small gun I dont take it off at home. It has a designated pocket, and stays in there all day. When I carried full sized guns I couldnt wait to take them off, and at times would forget to put them back on as I went out. Especially for little things like taking out the trash, a walk down to the mail box, etc... DR

I carry from the time I get dressed until I go to bed when the guns are placed on the nightstand. I carry a 1911 in a D.M. Bullard Combat holster @ 3:00 o'clock and a spare magazine @ 9:00 o'clock on my belt. I thread the belt through one loop of the holster or magazine carrier then the jeans loop and then the other loop on the holster or magazine carrier. They do not move around that way. I then place my BUG in a Galco Pocket Protector holster and it goes in my right front jeans pocket. Until last week, my BUG was a Springfield XDS-45 with a spare magazine in the small jeans pocket above the right front pocket. It was recalled and is currently back at the factory. I had to borrow an S&W 640 Centennial .357 magnum j-frame revolver from my wife as a BUG until the XDS-45 returns. I am currently shopping for a back-up back-up gun (BUBUG).
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

I prefer easy on holsters.

I haven't run into a problem of forgetting to carry or adjust my holster / pistol before leaving the house.

Guess it's just in my mind.

:)

I do NOT draw a loaded and chambered gun in my house!
    Look, a gun isn't going to blast itself off just because. In my house, I have crossbows, spears, switchblades, swords, staves, jutte, shuriiken, all manner of firearms, manriki gusari, emei piercers, nunchaku, and so on and so forth. Weapons of every type, in every fashion, everywhere.

Here's the deal: You are home, relaxing, having a good time. Then, the home invaders attack. You are damaged, bleeding, incapacitated in all sorts of ways. Yet you crawl with your last reserves and yes, there's a weapon you have secured than can turn the tables.

There really isn't any point to always carrying a gun on your side at home. No point to having a gun in every room. You want to do that, go for it. But the ultimate strategy is to have serious and dangerous weaponry everywhere at close hand no matter what.
    Drgnfly likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Look, a gun isn't going to blast itself off just because. In my house, I have crossbows, spears, switchblades, swords, staves, jutte, shuriiken, all manner of firearms, manriki gusari, emei piercers, nunchaku, and so on and so forth. Weapons of every type, in every fashion, everywhere.

Here's the deal: You are home, relaxing, having a good time. Then, the home invaders attack. You are damaged, bleeding, incapacitated in all sorts of ways. Yet you crawl with your last reserves and yes, there's a weapon you have secured than can turn the tables.

There really isn't any point to always carrying a gun on your side at home. No point to having a gun in every room. You want to do that, go for it. But the ultimate strategy is to have serious and dangerous weaponry everywhere at close hand no matter what.
    That's true and thanks but I guess for me I'd do it with unloaded gun or the "mime-draw" I use before CCW. I can practice draw and live fire at my range and I'm just so used to pulling the trigger at the end that I'm afraid I'd do it at home out of habit-error or too much energy. Before I used the "mime-draw" I would actually practice a couple of draws with a loaded snub before going out. One day out of habit and excess-energy my finger automatically went to the trigger instead of "safe". I didn't pull it and fire but I was horrified, I had no intention of doing that. So, now I play "better safe than sorry".

Anyway, that's just me.....

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post

I would think having your pistol on your hip would qualify as having a weapon on hand. It also makes child proofing your home much easier....
    detective likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links