Survived my first Walmart Walk

This is a discussion on Survived my first Walmart Walk within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I bought a S&W 642 yesterday off a guy from armslist. Carried it at church unloaded, but today I went to Walmart and carried ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By LostScout
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 3 Post By Sikiguya
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Sister
  • 2 Post By IndianaSig

Thread: Survived my first Walmart Walk

So, I bought a S&W 642 yesterday off a guy from armslist. Carried it at church unloaded, but today I went to Walmart and carried a loaded gun on my person concealed for the first time. I have been carrying my browning hi power in the car, without one in the chamber for the past month.

So I think I'm going to have to lengthen my pockets by a few inches. Every time I stood up, I felt like the gun was going to fall out of my pocket. Part of that is from the custom leather holster the guy gave me when I purchased the gun. It does not fit very snugly at all. I ordered an Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster. We will see if that helps. Also, if you walked by me and looked down into my pocket, you could see the grip of the revolver.

The gun was also pulling my pants down on that side. I wasn't wearing a gun belt though. I'm waiting for 2 of those to come in the mail as well. I ordered a black and a brown Hanks Amish belt.

The gun was beating against my leg every time I took a step which was kind of uncomfortable. I normally have pain in my strong side hip anyway throughout the day, but with the gun pulling my belt against my hip and it bouncing off my thigh with every step made it hurt. Not too bad, but I wouldn't want to walk around all day like that. Hopefully the gun belt and new holster will fix that. If not, I might try and sew the pocket in such a way that it doesn't bounce all over the place.

We all have to start with the first step. Good on you.

I recall carrying my first .25 Beretta and it was heavy like hell :)

The holster and belt will fix a lot of issues.

Good luck to you.
    marcclarke likes this.

Takes a little getting used to. Front pockets in jeans usually aren't deep enough for a J-frame, but I find pockets in "office casual" slacks like Dockers are. 5.11 and similar cargo pants have pockets ideal for pocket carry, and their 'Class A PDU' slacks are similar, but don't scream 'tactical.'

I'm glad you're using a pocket holster. If the Uncle Mike's doesn't work out and you can afford a little better, check the offerings by Mika, Wild Bill's Concealment, and others... start your research here: Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options

Remember that when you pocket carry, there's nothing else in that pocket - just the gun, period. And always carry spare ammo. Speed strips take up next to no room and aren't bulky at all.
    Drgnfly, JDE101 and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yeah I was wearing khakis. I don't know what kind. Probably from Walmart. Yeah I had nothing my pockets. I purchased the Uncle Mikes based off what I read in the Holster forum.

The guy that sold me the gun included two HK sped loaders. I've heard of speed strips but don't know anything about them. I'll be an Internet expert on them by the end of the week though.

Speedloaders are faster to reload...speedstris carry easier..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4
    marcclarke, Aceoky and Drgnfly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    Yeah I was wearing khakis. I don't know what kind. Probably from Walmart. Yeah I had nothing my pockets. I purchased the Uncle Mikes based off what I read in the Holster forum.

The guy that sold me the gun included two HK sped loaders. I've heard of speed strips but don't know anything about them. I'll be an Internet expert on them by the end of the week though.
    Search for some YouTube videos by Massad Ayoob on reloading wheelguns, using speedloaders and speed strips. Good info, the visuals make for a better explanation.
    marcclarke and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Congrats on getting out there and doing it the first time.

It gets easier as you figure out what works for you.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member
    I never go in wally world without my gun (try not to go unless I have too anyway).

Congrats on your new gun!
    JDE101 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I never go in wally world.....
    Just borrowing part of your post. Thanks!
    Sister and southernwi like this.

VIP Member
    Congrats!

Congratulations! I'm very happy to hear you're now carrying a loaded gun and not a "poor club" around with you

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I would have suggested you walk around the house first and you'd have noticed it was banging into your leg and being uncomfortable. Have you tried informally timing your draw and deployment from that pocket?

To me it's better to have a securely holstered firearm and to have practiced deploying with snap caps at home before wearing it in public and discovering it was a bit of a nuisance. I guess I don't get the point. I suppose you're testing your 'courage' or something?

Anyway, you'll get there in time. I'd suggest you look over my comments and do some 'in-house' practice before venturing out again so that it can be a positive experience and you have confidence in your abilities.

In hot weather, I carry a 642 in my right front pocket of cargo shorts/cargo pants and when a little cooler in Levis in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I find it very comfortable and it doesn't bounce around. I do wear a Wilderness 5 stitch instructor belt with the cargos and a leather Galco gun belt with the Levis.

Congrats on the Wally World walk. I'm another one who won't go to Wally World unarmed and go there as infrequently as possible anyway. I just can't stand all the screamin snot-nosed undisciplined brats that their mouth-breathing parents let run free!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Links