Jos A Bank and a Good Salesman

This is a discussion on Jos A Bank and a Good Salesman within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Earlier this week, I went to Joseph A Bank Clothiers in our small town to purchase a new suit. I've never had a suit fitted/tailored ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By dangerranger
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By royal barnes
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 1 Post By Yetiman
  • 1 Post By nontechguy
  • 1 Post By sdprof

Thread: Jos A Bank and a Good Salesman

Earlier this week, I went to Joseph A Bank Clothiers in our small town to purchase a new suit. I've never had a suit fitted/tailored before and had my concealed weapon IWB. I went to the dressing room to try on some pants and came out to let the salesman check the fit. I left my weapon and holster in the dressing room while my wife stood next to the door to keep an eye on it. He told me that the pants looked fine but I asked him if I could either let them out or go up one size. Puzzled, he told me the waist might tend to bunch up while wearing a belt and asked me to reconsider.

I checked around us and then quietly told him, "I normally carry a licensed concealed weapon inside my waistband and need additional room. He said, "Oh, I see. That's a pretty good reason." The gentleman didn't miss a beat and moved me up one pant size. I guess it's probably quite normal here in Texas.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    In the late 60s my Moms Uncle was an undercover detective. He had a leather pocket sewn into all his suits to carry in. He said suit makers and tailors understood perfectly well when you told them that you carried what to do. DR

In my early days of carrying I was having a sport coat fitted at my favorite men's shop. Out of curiosity, and to make small talk I asked the tailor about what's involved in tailoring adjustments for guys carrying sidearms. He said it wasn't uncommon at all and the extent of the tailoring challenge was pretty much dependent on the physique of the individual. I got the impression that he welcomed those as a departure from the everyday cuff and waist adjustments.
    atctimmy, Aceoky and Sister like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    About half my LEO career was spent in a coat and tie. I used one men's store exclusively. They kept me informed of upcoming sales and tailored my suit and sport coats to conceal a large handgun carried OWB.
    chandler4228 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chandler4228 View Post
    I checked around us and then quietly told him, "I normally carry a licensed concealed weapon inside my waistband and need additional room. He said, "Oh, I see. That's a pretty good reason." The gentleman didn't miss a beat and moved me up one pant size.
    Better still, since he's obviously comfortable with allowing for such adjustments, have the tailor see the geared-up situation, see the impact on the clothing, see the amount of alteration required (or whether a different cut and/or one larger size is required).

Nice to see a shop that understands and doesn't "cringe."
    bigmacque, joker1 and NONAME762 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've never owned a suit fitted or off the rack.

I've bought most of my clothes over the years in a Man's Clothing Shop near my place. Good service and friendly folks goes a long ways with me.
    Brig likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

The people at Jos. Bank here have always been good about it, and have fit me for pants and coats with my IWB setup in place even before Wisconsin had concealed carry. Pretty common among executive types I guess (of which I am not).
    chandler4228 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

I had a similar thing happen. We ended up talking guns for the next 20 minutes. My wife was not amused.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

As long as we're on this topic, here's some guidance: 10 Conceal Carry Firearm Tips - Wearing a gun with a mens suit blazer or sport jacket

Also, Men's Wearhouse is reputed to be very good about fitting around your firearm.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I shop Jos Banks often. Years ago I asked if they would tailor to fit my carry and they said of course. That is one reason they have kept my business. It never hurts to ask.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    As long as we're on this topic, here's some guidance: 10 Conceal Carry Firearm Tips - Wearing a gun with a mens suit blazer or sport jacket

Also, Men's Wearhouse is reputed to be very good about fitting around your firearm.
    Men's Wearhouse started out in Seattle WA about 40 years ago. I always got a kick out of the guy who was the spokesman from the beginning. I always figured if I ever had to buy a suit I'd go to his store.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Sponsored Links