Traveling with a firearm, hotels, safe/durable storage

This is a discussion on Traveling with a firearm, hotels, safe/durable storage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Gunvault 300 model safe with the combo lock. I used to use this every day on the road. It was nice because ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Traveling with a firearm, hotels, safe/durable storage

Traveling with a firearm, hotels, safe/durable storage

I have a Gunvault 300 model safe with the combo lock. I used to use this every day on the road. It was nice because I could lock up my gun when I was at a job site and not have it interfere with what I was doing. However - coming home one day I dropped the safe, without anything in it, and the lock broke. Essentially the latch mechanism that sticks out of the combo lock and holds the actual latch is a piece of plastic. It popped right apart.

So my question is - without going the route of GunVault, what can I get that will be secure, durable, and airline approved? I'd weld up a steel box and fit it with foam but I don't think it would be airline approved - certainly durable, though.

What are some methods for securing the safes in a hotel room? In past trips I have checked a Pelican case and tried to find a place to wrap a bike lock. That doesn't work too well when the bed is closed off behind and under it = can't wrap a cable around it. The same problem would come up with the gun safe, but securing it inside the Pelican case might give me an added level of security - so far as I can secure the Pelican case well first.

2. Remove Ads

I am interested in responses from others on this. How difficult has it been to check in your firearms at the airport? I have not done that yet.

There is no such thin as "Airline approved". As long as the case complies with the TSA requirements, it's ok. I use a Gunvault Microvault FWIW, I also use it in my SUV

Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

I guess to somewhat reiterate what I am after - I want a strong, durable safe that is just that - "safe" - as well as "meeting TSA requirements"/airline approved, however you want to read that.

After my experience with my GunVault, I am not very keen on them anymore - they are too cheap. They shouldn't break when dropped - especially if it had a gun in it, much less being empty. A Pelican case is more secure than that - they are designed for impact.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have for years used a millitary ammo can. With an added master padlock. I dought that would be TSA approved, But its more secure than a pelican case and certainly more so than the line of gunvaults out there. I understand that they need to make a price point to be able to sell them, But we have to do better. DR

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    This is what I use:

Stack-On PC-650 Portable Safe with Electronic Lock, Black - Amazon.com

It uses a cable lock that allows me to secure the safe to pretty much anything and it's small. I can fit my PPQ or Nano in it with a spare mag and a tac light snugly. Combination electronic lock up to 8 press sequence. It's not fort knox, but it'll keep anyone out who doesn't bring heavy bolt cutters and a plasma torch with them.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

A lot of electronic locks use magnets which can be released with a light drop from several inches, so be mindful of that with electric combo and biometric locks. An old fashioned metal tool box with a keyed padlock is hard to beat. Bike lock to chain it down to furniture. TSA May or may not like it, depends on size.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

nope. that one uses an actuator/solenoid.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I use something similar to this in my truck. I have the cable bolted to the seat frame. You could use it for airline travel and then use a padlock to lock the case to a bed or something. I actually think you might have more trouble getting the cable past TSA. (Think garrote.)

Bulldog Car Vault : Cabela's

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I use something similar to this in my truck. I have the cable bolted to the seat frame. You could use it for airline travel and then use a padlock to lock the case to a bed or something. I actually think you might have more trouble getting the cable past TSA. (Think garrote.)

yeah same sort of safe I linked to from stack-on. Good safes. I use one in the car when I go to doctor's appointments and the like where I'm not allowed to carry and stand a good chance of being searched or seen disrobed. The lock is mechanical (not magnetic) and the cable lock can be secured around anything immobile. Very good way to secure a single firearm, mags, wallet, keys, etc when you're on the go.

I think it is called Secur It. You can get them with a key lock. They are about the size of a book and hold one gun and speed loader or mag. I keep on I the wife's car. It comes with a cable.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post

Guys,

Look at that lock mechanism. From the picture that is the same lock design that my GunVault uses - the part that the metal latch is attached to (that rotates) is plastic. I would say that is not a quality safe. The metal may be thicker, tolerances tighter, spring opening, and overall seem more "beefy" than the GunVault equivalents, but if that latch snaps off you're SOL.

There have to be other options out there that are "safes", pass for a TSA/Airline compliant container (however you want to read/interpret that), and be strong/durable. Maybe a Pelican case is my best option? I've seen a big case full of tools survive a roll-over accident without any part of it broken, as to how tamper-proof they are, I'd say easier to get in to than a metal case, and as easy as any other box to get in to that requires the use of padlocks. I want to avoid padlocks too.

Distinguished Member
    I've used a case made by Expedition which I purchased at Sportsman's warehouse. I've used it for several flights. It has 2 latches both of which can take a padlock. It is big enough for a couple handguns and a couple of mags for each. I don't leave the mags free in the case. They are in separate "holsters". When in my car my weapon is immediately available. Same in a motel.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I have one of these
    In Car Gun Lockers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I forgot to mention that one of the main reasons I chose mine was the quick access feature. no key needed, no combinations per se. Just a series of button presses and it opens, which is handy if you need to get to the gun quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links