purchasing permits required?

This is a discussion on purchasing permits required? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In NC if you have your CCP you are not required to have a pistol purchase permit. You can buy any handgun you want without ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: purchasing permits required?

In NC if you have your CCP you are not required to have a pistol purchase permit. You can buy any handgun you want without questions asked. Is this true for all states? Or are some different?

The reason I ask is I might be moving in the next year or so, maybe to SC or Las Vegas, and was wondering if this held true for other states. If not, I'm going to make sure I buy my next toy before I move.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

In Michigan, with your CPL, you can purchase a pistol and the dealer runs the NICS (Same as the long guns), but then you still need to take to the Local Police Dept. to register it within 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    In Michigan, with your CPL, you can purchase a pistol and the dealer runs the NICS (Same as the long guns), but then you still need to take to the Local Police Dept. to register it within 10 days.
    that's odd. I haven't heard of any kind of registering in NC. I just bought mine and walked out in like 10 minutes. No check at all.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post

This is true to a point

if your ccw was issued after 2005 Nov then they dont have to run nics on you

yes the safety inspection is just plain registration as they tell you its a safety inspect and on the card it tells you the gun has not been checked for safe operation

In Ohio a pistol is bought just like a rifle or shotgun, wether or not the buyer is a CHL (except 21 for pistols, 18 for long guns of course.) No permit of any kind required, just a NICS check, and then you pay and are out the door with a new firearm.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

In Maine, you need no permit to purchase a handgun. If you're 21, and not a felon or have not been adjudicated as mentally ill, you can buy a handgun.

I guess one more question I have is whether or not having your CCP in one state influences you getting it in another. I'm guessing that most states do not care if you have a CCP in another state, and you still have to go through the standard process?

It seems like they could just get all the information needed from the state you currently have your CCP in. I don't see the point in taking a CCW class multiple times if you move a lot, but then again I guess every state has different requirements for these classes. But as far as the approval I would think that they could look at that as an "OK" sign. Also, Here in NC you don't have to have any references to get your CCP, but you have to have THREE to get a pistol purchase permit! I don't understand that one bit
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Assistant Administrator
    In PA it makes no difference whether you have CCW or not - same deal.

Go in - select goods - wait for NIC's (oh and of course, paperwork!) - pay money and leave!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Oklahoma

is the same way. Walk in, pay your money, run the NICS check and away you go. I think, also, the if you move to OK with another states CHP, then you're automatically cleared for the OK permit. But I could be wrong on that.

Since you mention the possibilty of SC I will address that...

Here you just walk in, select the gun you want, fill out a form and they call the NICS check and your out of there in a few minutes. As many as you want. No license. No permit. No wait. No limit.

I do not happen to know if you have a CWP if that eliminates the form and phone call. I don't think it does but I never bothered to check.

They are required to put the gun in a bag seperate from the bullets.... but you walk out with it yourself. Both in hand.

The Gunshine State...FL...

Buying is easy...
    With a background check and your CCW permit you buy the weapon and walk out the door with it...

Pretty simple...no permits required...

Reminds me...I pick up my BushMaster AR 15 and E.O.Tech scope tomorrow...Yes!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Since you mention the possibilty of SC I will address that...

Here you just walk in, select the gun you want, fill out a form and they call the NICS check and your out of there in a few minutes. As many as you want. No license. No permit. No wait. No limit.

I do not happen to know if you have a CWP if that eliminates the form and phone call. I don't think it does but I never bothered to check.

They are required to put the gun in a bag seperate from the bullets.... but you walk out with it yourself. Both in hand.

Awesome! Really glad to hear that.

NC must be paranoid or something. Is any state stricter? Man!
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

VIP Member
    Missouri has a Permit To Acquire (PTA). CCW Permit or not you need to go see the sheriff and fill out the registration form. Some sheriff's approve in minutes (mine), but under the law they are allowed 7 days, which some sheriff's take. So not only does it cost you two trips to see the sheriff (during your workday), but $10 to boot.

Maybe this year we can get rid of it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Buying is easy...
    With a background check and your CCW permit you buy the weapon and walk out the door with it...

Pretty simple...no permits required...

Reminds me...I pick up my BushMaster AR 15 and E.O.Tech scope tomorrow...Yes!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    In Florida, if you are buying a handgun and don't have a concealed carry license, you cannot take the gun home with you same day, even despite the NICS check. You have to wait (was it 5 days?)... Now, this info I have is several years old, and I don't know if the expired AWB had a bearing on it at the time. I witnessed it at a gun show where I got my gun right away and the same seller (an FFL) had other purchasers who he told had to come by his shop days later.

Not sure if it's still current information -- but I do know that no permit is required for purchase or ownership of handguns in Florida.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    "NC must be paranoid or something. Is any state stricter? Man!"

HA! - ask the boys from NY or NJ about that

(theoretically in NY - you can't even HANDLE a pistol without a permit )
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links