Is there such a thing as having too many guns?

This is a discussion on Is there such a thing as having too many guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At least in terms of carrying and self defense? We're all gun nuts here at DC and SD/carrying honesty comes second to procuring our next ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Is there such a thing as having too many guns?

At least in terms of carrying and self defense?

We're all gun nuts here at DC and SD/carrying honesty comes second to procuring our next toy. But I always hear sayings like "beware of the man/woman with just one gun" and several long timers swearing by one gun in one position all the time.

In the crazy addiction of multiple guns, several gun safes, carry rotations and constant trading/buying/selling, are we truly doing ourselves justice by grabbing different guns on different days in different holsters and stuffing them in different positions?

Or is swearing by one gun in one holster in the same position each time up your odds when the S really does HTF?

I'd like to hear everyone's viewpoints and lets discuss.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    simple answer...no.
    phreddy, Sister, Eagleks and 4 others like this.

Consistency is your friend. I do not believe in a big carry rotation because the manual of arms will change, IMO that could be dangerous....This is for the SD portion...

The fun portion is getting everything you can get your hands on. If you decide to carry a gun with a different manual of arms than your EDC train with it and make sure you build muscle memory with it.
    DetChris, joker1, Tzadik and 7 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    You are asking mutliple questions.

Can you have too many guns? NO

Is it better to simplify your carry rotation to maximize the effect of muscle memory and reduced manual of arms change? YES

Different guns have different uses.

Handgun for cc.

Shotgun/carbine for home defense.

Rifle for hunting.
    brocktice likes this.

I think as long as you practice with everything you carry an are proficient with them you re ok. I see some who buy a lot of different guns do not spend the necessary time an investment in ammo to make sure you have the right combination of defensive ammo an weapon. Going to the range an shooting a couple of hundred rounds of ball ammo does not mean you are going to feed your defensive choice. IMHO you need several hundred rounds of your defensive ammo of choice down range with no hiccups before you carry it.

VIP Member
    I primarily carry some form of 1911 with an occasional revolver just for variety. That being said I do have a quite a few other weapons, some just for fun at the range and others for their historical value. And I do not believe a person can own too many guns.

IMG_0576.JPG Kimber.jpg P1010188.jpg P1010193.jpg IMG_0703.JPG IMG_0682.JPG
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    A man cannot own too many firearms.
    Texron likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    OD* likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Too many guns is always one more than the next gun you buy.
    If everyone had the same opinion, there would be no reason to give one. It is a given that each opinion is believed to be correct. It would be silly to post something you believed to be incorrect. :)

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    You are asking mutliple questions.

Can you have too many guns? NO

Is it better to simplify your carry rotation to maximize the effect of muscle memory and reduced manual of arms change? YES

Different guns have different uses.

Handgun for cc.

Shotgun/carbine for home defense.

Rifle for hunting.
    I'm talking about purely SD. Lets narrow it down further to just carry situations. Not hunting. Not HD. Think going to get groceries. Walking they the mall with your loved ones. Getting jumped my BG's. You have to act with no time to think.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    My Home(land) defence rifle.

Something you don't ever want to find yourself on the working end of. It will be the last thing you ever see after getting into my home.

Numerous handguns and other rifles for the choosing as well. Don't screw around with me, my dog, or my property.
    RockingGlock32 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

For carry, I think it would be best to stick to one or two guns. That said, shooting different guns is fun and I'm all for having a bunch of different ones to shoot at the range!
    .XX likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    A man cannot own too many firearms.

A woman cannot own too many firearms.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    I am a big supporter of only carrying guns that work the same way. If you usually carry a S&W 642 and you decide to carry a Glock 21 one day you're not losing much. While they look and operate far differently the manual of arms is about the same- point gun/pull trigger. However if your usually carry is a M&P 9 and one day you decide to carry your 1911 you've introduced a new issue. The thumb safety is something that people occasionally miss under stress. If most of your training and work has been with a gun that doesn't have that feature you've made it slightly more likely that you'll forget.

While I own guns of different platforms, I don't carry guns that work differently. I have made changes, but I changed wholesale. I used to rely on Sig- I carried a 226 and 228. Now I'm back on the Glock band wagon carrying a 23 and 17. I'm considering changing to the USP platform but haven't decided as of yet. If so I'll only carry guns in that exact set-up. And though I make changes I practice a ton before I change and once it happens I don't look back. I've been on Glocks for quite some time and the Sigs were my choice for about 5 years (with Glock coming before in fact).
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member
    To the OP, I think you can collect and shoot but also have an edc one that you are proficient in.

I like all guns and yes....do find it to be somewhat of an addiction.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links