Dropped my carry gun in public today...

This is a discussion on Dropped my carry gun in public today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While on a walk, my LCP somehow wormed out of my IWB pancake holster. Never happened before...it was so random. Anyway, it was incredibly awkward ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Dropped my carry gun in public today...

Dropped my carry gun in public today...

While on a walk, my LCP somehow wormed out of my IWB pancake holster. Never happened before...it was so random. Anyway, it was incredibly awkward to be holding my gun out in the open like that, if even just for 2 seconds to re-holster it. Also I officially disproved the myth that if u drop a gun with a round in the chamber, it will fire......which I'm glad it didn't, because it landed pointing directly at my foot.

So, am I in some cool club now? The Gun Droppers or something? I can't be the only one.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Always remember kids, God forbid if you drop you gun, do not try to catch it, let it fall! There's a very good chance you could accidentally pull the trigger.

Glad it turned out okay!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Time for a new holster.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

...glad you weren't at WalMart...no biggee...what kind of holster was it in, and what kind of grip material?

Never had it happen, and hope it stays that way.

Was anyone around to witness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I've dropped a magazine in public, but never my gun
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    BTDT, threw the Uncle Mike’s holster away as soon as I got home and bought a better holster the next, glad it was not more serious.
    rocky, Poorly, atctimmy and 4 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'll check the brand tomorrow, but it's a very basic one. I usually put it in a pocket holster, but I've been experimenting with hip carry.

BAR

It can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    While on a walk, my LCP somehow wormed out of my IWB pancake holster. Never happened before...it was so random. Anyway, it was incredibly awkward to be holding my gun out in the open like that, if even just for 2 seconds to re-holster it. Also I officially disproved the myth that if u drop a gun with a round in the chamber, it will fire......which I'm glad it didn't, because it landed pointing directly at my foot.

So, am I in some cool club now? The Gun Droppers or something? I can't be the only one.
    Although it has never happened to myself, I am constantly checking that it is secured and in its proper place. Many years ago a friend of mine who was in law enforcement at the time was with a group of us on a subway very late at night returning from a ball game. He had borrowed an ankle holster I had and inserted a Chiefs Special in it. I was going to give it to him if he liked it. Anyway while sitting on the train he went to move his leg and thump!, the revolver fell out onto the floor. I looked at him and said "someone dropped their sixgun". With that I observed at least two or three other riders obviously checking their own weapons.

Only one I ever heard of was a LEO I know he was new to plain clothes but had worked the street for a long time. He went into a toilet and undid his belt and pants button and the waste band flipped over upside down and the gun fell out hitting the toilet bowl and shattered it into a million pieces. Water running everywhere he said he picked up the gun and headed out he is still guilty of not paying for the toilet and it bothers him still.

I would keep that holster nailed to the garage wall so I saw it often to remember this day then go buy a quality well fitting holster.

...could your outer garment have caught on the handle and pulled it out? pancakes usually seat the weapon deep enough for it to stay...
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    I'll check the brand tomorrow, but it's a very basic one. I usually put it in a pocket holster, but I've been experimenting with hip carry.

It didn't keep bouncing and fire off the entire magazine? You mean Hollywood LIED TO ME?!?

Glad you weren't hurt, except perhaps for your pride. I kind of wonder if this is a problem more common with lightweight guns. I personally feel a little more secure in this regard with my 30-oz .45 on the waistband over my 17-oz LCR. They both stay put, but I figure if that thing starts going somewhere, I'll know about it quick.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...could your outer garment have caught on the handle and pulled it out? pancakes usually seat the weapon deep enough for it to stay...
    The "handle"
    jcm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    The "handle"
    For an LCP, I believe the correct nomenclature is "the stub."
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

My SR40C has it where you cannot set off the striker just by dropping it.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links