Short grip, long barrel

This is a discussion on Short grip, long barrel within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ideal CC for IWB. Overall height 4.5> barrel length close to 4 inches as possible. Basically a micro handle with a compact barrel. Longer site ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Poorly

Thread: Short grip, long barrel

Short grip, long barrel

Ideal CC for IWB. Overall height 4.5> barrel length close to 4 inches as possible. Basically a micro handle with a compact barrel. Longer site radius is more accurate and it's easier to hide extra barrel than handle. Any ideas on models?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Glock grip chop or SIG 250 long slide on short frame and i think there is an XD model with a mid length slide on a sub compact frame.

you can also do some research on combining short frames on long slides of same family of pistols. but you would have to buy two pistols at least a slide assembly.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Lots of people chop the grips on Glocks. I'm thinking about doing it to my 17 simply because I have so many 19 magazines but don't own a 19 at the moment. (Actually haven't owned a 19 in about 8 years but still have the mags.) Kind of a shame just to have them gathering more dust in the closet.
    sparkykb likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Take a look at the Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact as it is available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45. It has a 3.8" barrel and a compact grip which makes it perfect for EDC for me. The slides are also interchangeable on the XDM series so you could put a 4.5" barrel on a compact grip. LOVE mine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohta View Post
    Take a look at the Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact as it is available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45. It has a 3.8" barrel and a compact grip which makes it perfect for EDC for me. The slides are also interchangeable on the XDM series so you could put a 4.5" barrel on a compact grip. LOVE mine!!!
    The 3.8 is proportionally tall. Around 5.5 inches, and thick. I'm leaning towards the XDs and in 9mm. Less than 4.5 inches tall, and almost 6.5 long. Good sight radius. Plus it isn't thick. Kind of redic that the 9mm weights more than the 45 though.

I personally wish I would have gotten a full size M&P 9mm and then chopped it down to the compact size. I would have done it for the same reasons you gave, longer barrel, longer sight radius, and another inch on the barrel is nothing to hide.

Ruger SP 101 4.2" .357 magnum.

VIP Member
    G30SF with a flush-fit 9 round magazine and a G21 barrel (4.6").
    tdave likes this.

Glock G29 10mm with a six inch Glock factory barrel and two Glock G20 spare magazines.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Commander sized 1911 or perhaps the new RIA "MS" 1911?

1911-style pistols are out there in the classic Colt's "CCO" configuration--Commander-length barrel mated to an Officer's-sized grip frame. I own a similar model from Para Ordnance I bought several years ago and I understand Dan Wesson puts out a CCO model too.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.

I am the other way. For me a better grip allows for more consistent presentation and greater accuracy. I carry a Glock 27 with a longer (Glock 23) grip.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Yeah, for my own self, I am most comfortable with a Bobtailed full sized grip. That short grip thing is not very satisfactory.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.

Links