Having handgun in vehicle for Florida Concealed Carry Permit holder

This is a discussion on Having handgun in vehicle for Florida Concealed Carry Permit holder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like a clear concise ruling on having my handgun in my vehicle. I have a Florida CCW permit. If not on my person ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Having handgun in vehicle for Florida Concealed Carry Permit holder

I would like a clear concise ruling on having my handgun in my vehicle. I have a Florida CCW permit. If not on my person may the gun be open on the top of the console, in a drivers side door pocket, glove box, on the seat, not holstered, etc. I have tried the FL statutes but can't find a clear ruling.

Looking forward to a good answer. If you can provide one, please reference the place in the FL statutes where it can be found.

Welcome to the forum!!

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Gerry
    Ft Collins

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I refer you to FS 790.25 for the statute you desire, specifically paragraphs 3 (l) and 5. Most people are unaware of 3(l) allowing open display within a private conveyance. The key condition to this is "securely encased," which is defined under 790.001.

You may have a concealed firearm in a "private conveyance" on your person or otherwise with a CWFL, or openly displayed as long as it is "securely encased."

Without a permit, you may conceal it within the confines of a private conveyance or openly displayed as long and it is not on your person as long and it is "securely encased." All provided you are 18 years of age and not otherwise prohibited from firearm possession.

As a caveat, some LEOs are not "knowledgeable" of what 790.25 allows, particularly 3(L), and could possibly cause grief. I would suggest keeping a copy of 790.25, with the applicable portions highlighted, for quick reference should the need arise.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Welcome.

Sponsored Links