First concealed carry pistol...opinions and .02 appreciated

This is a discussion on First concealed carry pistol...opinions and .02 appreciated within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, my name is AJ and I am obviously new to this forum and to concealed carry so I have questions on purchasing pistols. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: First concealed carry pistol...opinions and .02 appreciated

Hey guys, my name is AJ and I am obviously new to this forum and to concealed carry so I have questions on purchasing pistols. First, to give a visual I am 5'8" around 165lbs with a 31ish" waist and that may determine what you guys think. So the hard part from what I understand is getting a pistol that is concealable but at the same time is fun to shoot at the range and thats what I am looking for. I can get another gun down the road but as of now, one it is. I have narrowed it down somewhat but can't make a decision quite yet. All 9mm(ammo is expensive,lol) originally i came across the Walther PPS and it seemed to be it but the capacity is iffy, next is the Walther P99C a/s. Both are pretty concealable(especially the PPS). The next pistols I am interested in are bigger and think i could get away if I wore a shirt a little bigger and such: Walther PPQ or Glock 19. I have held the PPQ(loved the grip) and G19 still ok just not as ergo. Trying to find PPS/P99C to get my hands on. I know its hard to make a decision for me but anything is appreciated

VIP Member
    Welcome from the PRM!

Walther or Glock are fine choices. Since I don't own a Walther I would suggest the 19.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chavez292 View Post
    So the hard part from what I understand is getting a pistol that is concealable but at the same time is fun to shoot at the range and thats what I am looking for. I can get another gun down the road but as of now, one it is.
    What kind of clothing do you usually wear, or will you need to wear when carrying? When I wear a guayabera shirt (most days in the summer, started doing so for CCW), I can easily conceal a full-size 1911 outside the waistband. If you can conceal that, you can conceal just about anything short of a sawed-off shotgun. One thing that nobody clued me into early on is that short guns easily conceal inside the waistband. Longer guns actually conceal worse IWB, in my experience, because when you sit down the barrel gets pulled toward your front by the seat of your pants, and the grip sticks way out in back, tenting your concealment garment. If worn OWB, your butt (if you have one to speak of) pushes the grip in toward your back, and when you sit the whole assembly stays more tangential to your hip rather than being pushed one way or the other.

Your concealment will be much easier and more flexible if you can dress to the gun, not the other way around.

I live in FL btw so its not like we wear jackets often,lol. Great point on dressing accordingly to carry because I would have to, most of the time I am in some sort of gym attire as I am an Weightlifting coach and lift myself(so I do have a butt, haha). I have been looking into IWB and the 4ish o'clock position seems to go against the body the best from messing around(may be wrong).

Capacity

I would not let capacity rule my decision as a private citizen. A sworn officer or a military officer may well profit from a large magazine, but many of the rest of us get along with 5 shot revolvers! If we can't get it done with 5 o7 or 8, chances are we are in way over our heads - we should retreat immediately if not sooner. I know large capacity autos are very popular, but so, it seems, is missing. Make every shot count and you seldom will have to worry about a reload.

Welcome to the ranks and good luck.

JIM

I agree 100%, the capacity is more for range enjoyment rather than accuracy by volume for me

I live in FL btw so its not like we wear jackets often,lol. Great point on dressing accordingly to carry because I would have to, most of the time I am in some sort of gym attire as I am an Weightlifting coach and lift myself(so I do have a butt, haha). I have been looking into IWB and the 4ish o'clock position seems to go against the body the best from messing around(may be wrong).
    Since you're in FL you'd fit right in a guayabera! I highly recommend the ones by Cubavera on Amazon. :) All of the stuff I was talking about was referring to around 4 o'clock.

I'll tell you something else. Guns are like bacteria. They multiply in the safe, even if there's only one of them to start with! So, don't worry too much about your first one. Make your best guess based on your requirements and ideally, trying them out at the range. You can add/change later.

I started with a snub-nosed .357 revolver (SP101, great gun) about 18 months ago, then quickly moved to a 3" 1911. That gun cost a small fortune and by god it was going to be my end-all be-all carry piece. It sure does conceal nicely IWB. But now, just over a year later, I primarily carry the 5" 1911, and I've got an M&P 9c coming in this week that's replacing the 3" 1911 for the times when I can't conceal the 5" 1911 -- it's going up for sale.

Live in FT Myers wear tshirts an cargo shorts easy to conceal either glock or pps get a good belt an holster dont fall victum to a cheap holster you will be uncomfortable an frustrated. I use milt sparks summer specials but theres lots of good ones.
    GhostMaker likes this.

I have been looking into IWB and the 4ish o'clock position seems to go against the body the best from messing around(may be wrong).
    By the way for IWB in warm climates I LOVE the Comp-Tac CTAC. Plus they send you a roll of smarties in the package.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Live in FT Myers wear tshirts an cargo shorts easy to conceal either glock or pps get a good belt an holster dont fall victum to a cheap holster you will be uncomfortable an frustrated. I use milt sparks summer specials but theres lots of good ones.
    And get a good proper reinforced gun belt with plastic inside. Gould and Goodrich, Comp-Tac, many others out there.

Thanks for all the good info so far, will def look into them!

Distinguished Member
    My EDC is a .38 revolver smith bodyguard, love it. They make it in a semi too and that would be flatter so it may be easier to conceal. In my area .38 & .40's are easy ammo to find. The best thing you can do is after reading everybody's input, take notes then go to your local gun store and see how they fit in your hand and check the ammo availability. I have both revolver and semi but the revolver never fails, no chance of it. The down side is that is will not hold as much ammo. More to consider.

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here!
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I have both revolver and semi but the revolver never fails, no chance of it. The down side is that is will not hold as much ammo. More to consider.
    Also there's just no comparison on the reload times. But yeah, nothing wrong with a revolver.

In the smaller size range, a Ruger LC9 and a Smith and Wesson Shield are also good options. If your budget is tight, another to consider is a Bersa 380. It's an old-school auto, basically a direct copy of a Walther PPK, all metal and shoots .380, which is pretty much a less-powerful version of 9mm. Ammo might be more expensive, but all ammo is expensive right now.

It's good to plan exactly how you'll be carrying. If inside the waistband, you can go pretty big. If you need to pocket carry, you'll want to go small and make sure the gun plus holster will fit well. Since I frequently have to leave my gun in the car, I usually pocket-carry a Ruger LCR .357 Magnum (though loaded with .38 Specials). It's actually pretty fun to shoot, mostly because of the excellent, excellent trigger.
    Sister likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Also there's just no comparison on the reload times. But yeah, nothing wrong with a revolver.
    Actually one can get darned fast with a speedloader, but it takes a fair amount of practice.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links