Came home last night - burglar alarm was sounding

This is a discussion on Came home last night - burglar alarm was sounding within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came home last night, and the burglar alarm was sounding. My was should have been home, so I start to reach for my gun. ...

Thread: Came home last night - burglar alarm was sounding

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Came home last night - burglar alarm was sounding

I came home last night, and the burglar alarm was sounding. My was should have been home, so I start to reach for my gun. As I open the door, I hear Jimmy Buffett music playing loudly, and someone playing drums. I put the gun away, and entered the alarm code and hit cancel. I knew that the alarm was accidental, and my wife couldn't hear it over the music and drums.

2. Remove Ads

I guess the alarm isn't much protection for people inside the house if they can't hear it.....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

At least they have good taste in music... Jimmy Buffet ROCKS
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Your Wife Plays The Drums?...

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I came home last night, and the burglar alarm was sounding. My was should have been home, so I start to reach for my gun. As I open the door, I hear Jimmy Buffett music playing loudly, and someone playing drums. I put the gun away, and entered the alarm code and hit cancel. I knew that the alarm was accidental, and my wife couldn't hear it over the music and drums.
    First, you need a louder alarm...or you will need hearing aids by age 45!

What good is an alarm you can't hear inside the home?...unless it's a line to an alarm company...which it can't be or they would have called!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Wow, music or not, anyone in the house would have had an opportunity to see Mr. Glock out of his cage and ready to play.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

You also better check and see why the alarm was going off.. Was it set wrong, was there a malfunction,was it installed wrong.. You have more problems than a drum playing wife!

Be safe.

Just to play devils advocate: Was that smart? I mean the alarm was sounded and you didn't know if the music wasn't playing to cover it up and drown it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I guess the alarm isn't much protection for people inside the house if they can't hear it.....
    Hm. Good situational question:
    Imagine you were home alone, with loud music, lost focus, munchies, perhaps a companion ... and someone broke in? How would you know? Could you respond in time? What would you do, if surprised in the middle of your own living room? Would you be prepared to defend? If not, what should be changed/enhanced to allow for a proper defense?
    Makes you think hard about the simple things. Such as the point mentioned, that perimeter alarms aren't worth the bother if they cannot be heard. Though, a simple wiring-in of a horn or two should cure that problem.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    First, you need a louder alarm...or you will need hearing aids by age 45!

What good is an alarm you can't hear inside the home?...unless it's a line to an alarm company...which it can't be or they would have called!

ret
    The alarm is a Brinks monitored system. My wife had the music WAY up, and was playing the drums- and not lightly. The speakers for the alarm are outside the house, though when I came in, both were blaring. I entered the pass code in the console and pressed cancel, which is suppose to cancel the phone call, but they called anyway (and I have no problem with that). I guess that my wife had just created a zone of noise around her that the alarm wouldn't penetrate. Also, we don't usually use the alarm when we're home, no idea why it went off. Any further episodes will definitely get a service call. I felt comfortable hearing the drums, not the music. My wife is an incredible musician, and plays guitar (main instrument), bass guitar, keyboards, and has recently taught herself drums. Music could easily be played to cover the crime, but live drums? Oh, and we're both 54. And to produman- FINS UP!!!! from a parrothead (where do you think Squawker and the parrot icon comes from? I thought that my "Party Parrot icon, cheeseburger in one wing, margarita in the other, which while great on other sites, was inappropriate on this one)

do you have glass break and/or wall vibration sensors in the home? could the drums have set them off?

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    do you have glass break and/or wall vibration sensors in the home? could the drums have set them off?

We do have glass break sensors- perhaps that's what did it. Thanks for the thought. No vibration or motion sensors- our pet cat would set the alarm off every time we left the house. God knows qhat the HOA fines would be if we went on vacation!

We do have glass break sensors- perhaps that's what did it.
    I had my perimeter/glass sensors active, once, and was able to trip the alarm by simply grabbing a 6" strip of tape off the duct tape roll. That "ziiiiip!" sound did it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Thunderstorms will also set off alarm systems. Don't know if it is the glass break sensors or the electrical signal, but they sometimes do.

Links