Pocket holster printing too much

This is a discussion on Pocket holster printing too much within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster is a dream to carry and conceal in my summer shorts. The problem is that's not the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Pocket holster printing too much

My LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster is a dream to carry and conceal in my summer shorts. The problem is that's not the case when it comes to jeans. With the nemesis the lines of the pistol are pretty clearly visible with loose fitting jeans. Any method other then pocket carry at the moment is out so how about some recommendation for a different pocket holster? What's your favorite? Do the ones with the anti print panels really work? Do they add a ton of bulk to the holster?

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I pocket carry a Ruger SP 101 when I do trouser selection and shirt tail in or out are prerequisite questions.

In my experience jeans kinda suck for pocket carry. When I wear jeans which not often here in fl I always go owb. Otherwise it cargo shorts
    chandler4228 likes this.

I use a recluse pocket holster for my LCP. They've got leather or kydex style. I use the kydex, and carry in my back pocket. Looks like I'm carrying a wallet.
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    My LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster is a dream to carry and conceal in my summer shorts. The problem is that's not the case when it comes to jeans. With the nemesis the lines of the pistol are pretty clearly visible with loose fitting jeans.
    So, what are the key differences between those jeans that don't print, as compared to the shorts that do? Material type, material thickness/weight, the cut of the style, how tight they are on you around the area requiring extra space for the shape and movement?

Got some photos showing how the non-printing pants work on you, versus how the printing ones fail to work? If we can see what you're seeing, perhaps we could make some suggestions.

I've got some shirts that are quite identical in size to others in the collection, but because of differences in the material weight, colors, texture, some of them print badly while others are fine. Have had pants, from time to time, where the cut of the material just wasn't what it needed to be, around the carry area, sufficient to conceal without minor printing.

Here's one thing I have done previously: have a new, thicker and heavier pocket sewn in, one that sits differently along the leg. In the pants where I did this, the material of the pants was simply too think and "form fitting" to cover up much. It'd show a small set of keys, any skinny and tiny cell phone, a pen, even a couple of credit cards. But with a fairly heavy and thick material for the pocket itself, the printing was largely smoothed out. Added some additional space in there, and repositioned the gun a bit, at the cost of a little bit thicker material hence greater stress on the pants material itself at that spot. But, overall, I think that option worked with those pants, given the style cut and the material of those pants. Nearly all others I've had were of a better cut, material, weight, texture to where this didn't matter nearly so much; plus, most others were +1 enough to have the right amount of extra room along the pockets level and/or made of material with a given minimum amount of stretch built-in.
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've had good luck with rkbaholsters.com
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member
    I wear Wrangler comfort fit jeans and the pockets are huge. In fact I had to get a bigger pocket holster because my nemesis was too small. Take a look at Mika Holsters. A good pocket holster should never show the outline of the gun. It should disguise it. I think that some people freak out over any bulge in their pocket. Sometimes I have a bulge in my pocket and not for the reason your dirty mind is thinking. :) It is because I am carrying a snub nose revolver but who cares. It is just a round bulge in my pocket. My other pocket is bulging too because of the wallet, keys, handkerchief and other items in it. No one cares or notices. My cousin won't carry his LCP in his Nemesis in his jeans because he can see the outline of the holster. As I said, who cares. It is perfectly legal and no one notices anything other than themselves. I could not even tell you what my wife wore today and I spent the whole day with her.

Try a Mika as it will disguise the shape of your gun and it is the only pocket holster (and I have two drawers of them) that stays in my pocket all the time.
    oldnfat likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

If you want no sign, go with a belly band or a smart carry, and strap a snub to your appendix.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

VIP Member
    Lots of companies make pocket holsters with a flap of material that will make it appear to be a square or rectangle so people will think wallet rather than gun when they see it.

That said, go to a force on force class and start trying to run a pocket holster... chances are that you will find another way to carry that gun.
    OD* likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have a Galco leather pocket holster for my LCR that works well with jeans. I'm not sure how theirs work for an LCP, though.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

When I wear jeans (mostly at home) I wear Comfort Fit Carpenter jeans (lots of pockets!) and even my GLOCK 23 disappears into the front pocket. I am a Chinos kind of guy when I go to town.
    Richard58 likes this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So, what are the key differences between those jeans that don't print, as compared to the shorts that do? Material type, material thickness/weight, the cut of the style, how tight they are on you around the area requiring extra space for the shape and movement?

Got some photos showing how the non-printing pants work on you, versus how the printing ones fail to work? If we can see what you're seeing, perhaps we could make some suggestions.

I've got some shirts that are quite identical in size to others in the collection, but because of differences in the material weight, colors, texture, some of them print badly while others are fine. Have had pants, from time to time, where the cut of the material just wasn't what it needed to be, around the carry area, sufficient to conceal without minor printing.

Here's one thing I have done previously: have a new, thicker and heavier pocket sewn in, one that sits differently along the leg. In the pants where I did this, the material of the pants was simply too think and "form fitting" to cover up much. It'd show a small set of keys, any skinny and tiny cell phone, a pen, even a couple of credit cards. But with a fairly heavy and thick material for the pocket itself, the printing was largely smoothed out. Added some additional space in there, and repositioned the gun a bit, at the cost of a little bit thicker material hence greater stress on the pants material itself at that spot. But, overall, I think that option worked with those pants, given the style cut and the material of those pants. Nearly all others I've had were of a better cut, material, weight, texture to where this didn't matter nearly so much; plus, most others were +1 enough to have the right amount of extra room along the pockets level and/or made of material with a given minimum amount of stretch built-in.
    For me I think the primary issue is the position of the pocket. Most of the pocket on my shorts fall a bit more on the side of the leg but most jeans have the pocket position more on the front of the leg. It's the same with dress pants. I have no issue pocket carrying in any of my dress pants but they have that same style of pocket as my shorts. I have yet to find jeans that didn't have a more front style pocket. I'll try to post some pics a bit later.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I wear Wrangler comfort fit jeans and the pockets are huge. In fact I had to get a bigger pocket holster because my nemesis was too small. Take a look at Mika Holsters. A good pocket holster should never show the outline of the gun. It should disguise it. I think that some people freak out over any bulge in their pocket. Sometimes I have a bulge in my pocket and not for the reason your dirty mind is thinking. :) It is because I am carrying a snub nose revolver but who cares. It is just a round bulge in my pocket. My other pocket is bulging too because of the wallet, keys, handkerchief and other items in it. No one cares or notices. My cousin won't carry his LCP in his Nemesis in his jeans because he can see the outline of the holster. As I said, who cares. It is perfectly legal and no one notices anything other than themselves. I could not even tell you what my wife wore today and I spent the whole day with her.

Try a Mika as it will disguise the shape of your gun and it is the only pocket holster (and I have two drawers of them) that stays in my pocket all the time.
    The issue for me isn't really the bulge. That doesn't bother me as that could be any number of things in my pocket. My issue is that the lines of the pistol are visible. My nemesis doesn't do a good job of breaking up the outline. I'll take a look at Mika. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    If you want no sign, go with a belly band or a smart carry, and strap a snub to your appendix.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    As I said, unfortuanelty pocket carry is the only option at the moment.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Oh great. Now Rollo can't even get his holster to work right.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links