I had an out of body experience...

This is a discussion on I had an out of body experience... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At a recent IDPA competition, I had the oddest experience... Twice. When it came to shooting around barriers from my weak hand side, both times ...

At a recent IDPA competition, I had the oddest experience... Twice.

When it came to shooting around barriers from my weak hand side, both times I transferred the pistol to my weak hand while on the move.

That alone is odd, but it turned out to be surprisingly effective. But the really odd thing was that I didn't do this consciously, rather it was as if I was a spectator watching and judging myself.

I distinctly remember watching myself doing the transfer almost as if I wasn't in control, all the while thinking to myself, "are you really about to do what I think you're about to do?" Then, "wow, this is oddly comfortable and easy," and "this probably isn't saving any time."

I wonder if this is what it feels like for some who fond themselves in a real fight or flight experience where there is no time to think about what you are doing...

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    At a recent IDPA competition, I had the oddest experience... Twice.

When it came to shooting around barriers from my weak hand side, both times I transferred the pistol to my weak hand while on the move.

That alone is odd, but it turned out to be surprisingly effective. But the really odd thing was that I didn't do this consciously, rather it was as if I was a spectator watching and judging myself.

I distinctly remember watching myself doing the transfer almost as if I wasn't in control, all the while thinking to myself, "are you really about to do what I think you're about to do?" Then, "wow, this is oddly comfortable and easy," and "this probably isn't saving any time."

I wonder if this is what it feels like for some who fond themselves in a real fight or flight experience where there is no time to think about what you are doing...

Has anyone had a similar experience?

They're just weird mind-states that come up occasionally. If you have that frequently talk to your MD, and not just for psychological issues. But ignore it otherwise is my advice. Just some weird thing that occurred. Makes life interesting....

Short answer, yes, when I was really in the 'zone' and properly anticipating the next move and the next shot. It hasn't happened but a couple of times; I usually over-think the stage and don't allow my brain to go on autopilot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Yeah, you get weird mental states in intensely competitive environments. I agree with detective. If it happens frequently, especially if it happens outside competitions, get to a doctor quick! If not, chalk it up to mental stress.

Certainly very unusual... As in never happened before.

And to be clear, I was always in control. It was more like I was letting instinct take over, and was surprised with where it took me.

I have been in the zone many times while mountain biking at the limit on steep terrain. This was subtly different. Best I can describe it is as an active spectator. I could have stepped in, bit was interested to see where the instinct was taking me.

Definitely hard to explain, as most experiences are.

But, no, this is not a frequent occurrence, as in it happened precisely twice in 40 years.

GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

VIP Member
    I've drilled transferring from one hand to the other in case of incapacitation (injury) to the transferring hand. So I might do a transfer with little conscious effort. Have you?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Links