First day of CC'ing

First day of CC'ing

This is a discussion on First day of CC'ing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It felt great, literally. I don't want to sound weird, especially to those of you who carry all the time, but I felt physically different. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: First day of CC'ing

First day of CC'ing

It felt great, literally. I don't want to sound weird, especially to those of you who carry all the time, but I felt physically different. Just knowing I'd taken control of my circumstances filled me with confidence, awe, and respect for everyone who had ever protected the freedom I was experiencing. Even now, especially on 9/11, I can't help but feel that patriotic surge welling up.

I went to Walmart, stopped and got some food choosing to walk in to get it instead of going through the drive thru. My son was with me the whole time and he said he felt differently being there with me. It felt good to him not to trust our safety to the will of others. He asked if he could take the class to get his CC going. I told him we'd make it an early Christmas present.

This right matters. It is part of what makes us America.

To all of you who have served, and all of you who have done your part to defend the 2A before I got here. Thank you.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Awesome, welcome to the club! Wait till you learn the secret handshake! Congrats.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    It felt great, literally. I don't want to sound weird, especially to those of you who carry all the time, but I felt physically different. Just knowing I'd taken control of my circumstances filled me with confidence, awe, and respect for everyone who had ever protected the freedom I was experiencing. Even now, especially on 9/11, I can't help but feel that patriotic surge welling up.
    Just remember, those feelings are inside your head. Time to verify, to back it up with all the training and knowledge of scenarios, risks, ramifications, your capabilities and limitations that you're capable of affording and practicing.

The responsibility is a great one, though. It is nice to be capable of backing it up with practical ability (being armed).

Uncertain of your firearms background or carry (ie, openly, or CC elsewhere), but if you haven't done so already I would recommend picking up a copy of the Ayoob book, In The Gravest Extreme.

Congratulations on the new-found responsibilities. Welcome to "full" citizenship.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

welcome to the club our founding fathers started. Its a good feeling indeed.
    Aceoky and mook012 like this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Just remember, those feelings are inside your head. Time to verify, to back it up with all the training and knowledge of scenarios, risks, ramifications, your capabilities and limitations that you're capable of affording and practicing.

The responsibility is a great one, though. It is nice to be capable of backing it up with practical ability (being armed).

Uncertain of your firearms background or carry (ie, openly, or CC elsewhere), but if you haven't done so already I would recommend picking up a copy of the Ayoob book, In The Gravest Extreme.

Congratulations on the new-found responsibilities. Welcome to "full" citizenship.
    ^^^ this is what I was going to say. When I started to carry I did feel a sort of "freedom" for lack of a better word, but I also felt a tremendous amount of responsibility. As time passes the feeling of responsibility only seems to get stronger. Congrats on your choice, and the responsibility that comes with it.
    Brig and Durhamgoat like this.

Thanks for the advice friend. I get out to the range every week or two and practice with my Laserlyte target system daily. I'm looking into some training as well and will for sure check out that book.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jscottjr View Post
    ^^^ this is what I was going to say. When I started to carry I did feel a sort of "freedom" for lack of a better word, but I also felt a tremendous amount of responsibility. As time passes the feeling of responsibility only seems to get stronger. Congrats on your choice, and the responsibility that comes with it.
    Remember, too, that the firearm, knife or whatever else is merely one tool in the tool chest. IMO, far more important, by a great margin, is the collection of tools you can bring to bear on your lifestyle and living. Engaging our brains, always, every time. Correctly, quickly and effectively reading situations. Maintaining awareness. Having a strong mindset. Having a defensive mindset. Having effective people-watching skills. Taking simple, effective precautions in everyday activities. Having and maintaining an "out" or alternative, in every situation we can. Having a plan; having a backup plan. Not relying on one tool, as if it's the end-all, be-all solution. Having backup tools. Being well-trained enough to know your skill elements are real, not imagined. Continuing your training so you know your skills haven't taken a hiatus when it most matters. And probably a dozen other things. None of which have anything to do with a gun, per se. Any one of which can end up being more important for keeping your neck out of hot water than any single weapon on your person.
    Texaszed4mc and JDE101 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Awesome, welcome to the club! Wait till you learn the secret handshake! Congrats.

I missed the meeting about the secret handshake?

Congratulations and welcome to CC!!!

Congrats! And as others have said, get as much training as you can, practice, practice, practice, and learn other skills as well. And always be aware of you surroundings.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

What he said.

Big responsibilities.

Be safe.

Congrats

Congratulations!
    Much wisdom in these few short posts!!!!
    And you knocked the wally walk off the list already.Well done!
    Just remember, it's about being DEFENSIVE, not OFFENSIVE and it will all work out in your favor.
    Aceoky and mook012 like this.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six
    Ruger Speed Six

Thank you very much for sharing, Bob. It's great to be reminded of what it felt to conceal carry the first time. You're right about this right - it matters!

I saw this today and I wanted to share it:

dont take rights away.jpg
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I don't carry as often as I should, but then again I don't go to scarey places much anymore. I do know that my SA is a lot better just knowing what I've learned here and the fact that I do carry and the responsibilities it entails. It is a whole new enlightening process.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow
    After all, when the Supreme Court twice comes within one vote of ruling that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights isn’t an individual right, Americans have a right to be concerned.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Welcome to the world of CC. There is an old saying from the Army-RHIP (Rank Has Its Privileges) [usually quoted by folks who truly had no clue. The reality is that the RESPONSIBILITIES always outweigh the privileges. It is the same with CC. Just ask George Zimmerman. I am glad you are carrying, just pay heed to the other side of the coin.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links