Defensive Carry banner

Mistake and Conversation at the Neighborhood Watch Meeting

15K views 140 replies 78 participants last post by  Stickshaker 
#1 ·
We had our neighborhood watch meeting at our local police station last night. I walked into the meeting room and noticed a sign that stated, "No Firearms". Of course I know this is meant for visitors like myslef, but I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of a "No Firearms" sign in a police station... :wink:

Anyway, I politely excuse myself to quietly lock my SIG I was CC'ing in my car.

When I reenter the meeting room, everyone asks why I left. I tell them that I mistakenly carried my gun inside and to respect the law, I had to lock it up in my car.

The woman nearby has this shocked look on her face, "You carry a gun?! Are you a police officer?"

Me: "No ma'am. I'm not a cop. That's why I left to secure my weapon in my car."

Woman: "OMG! Why would you carry a gun?!"

Me: "Why not? Heck, I always carry when I can."

All women at the meeting: "GASP!!!"

Me: "Hey, you never know who you'll run into."

I was a bit surprised at the reaction, as the meeting was about crime prevention in Alabama...

BTW: The guys at the meeting backed me up and I think were even a bit jealous. :image035:

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, if your going to out yourself, GO BIG OR GO HOME....:tongue:

#9 ·
"Heck, I brought one for everybody, but since I can't bring them in, I left the wheeled cart outside." (more gasps)
"But they're on sale, ladies!" :rofl:

When asked why you left, I would've told them I left my phone in the car and went back to get it, or needed to grab a notepad to take notes at the meeting. I really don't like neighborhood gossip and so-and-so telling an unsavory so-and-so that I've got guns in the house.

But I'm really shocked that in Alabama that was the general reaction from the ladies.

#56 ·
It's already against NW rules to carry a firearm on duty, and Zimmerman wasn't on duty at the time of the shooting.

#12 ·
...sat in the squadroom of a local PD and wrote a felony offense report on a gun charge fully armed a coupla years ago...felt like old times...
...here's the way we do it in TX:

Sec. 411.207. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO DISARM. (a) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties may disarm a license holder at any time the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the license holder, officer, or another individual. The peace officer shall return the handgun to the license holder before discharging the license holder from the scene if the officer determines that the license holder is not a threat to the officer, license holder, or another individual and if the license holder has not violated any provision of this subchapter or committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the license holder.

(b) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties may temporarily disarm a license holder when a license holder enters a nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement facility, if the law enforcement agency provides a gun locker where the peace officer can secure the license holder's handgun. The peace officer shall secure the handgun in the locker and shall return the handgun to the license holder immediately after the license holder leaves the nonpublic, secure portion of the law enforcement facility.

(c) A law enforcement facility shall prominently display at each entrance to a nonpublic, secure portion of the facility a sign that gives notice in both English and Spanish that, under this section, a peace officer may temporarily disarm a license holder when the license holder enters the nonpublic, secure portion of the facility. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height. The sign shall be displayed in a clearly visible and conspicuous manner.

(d) In this section:

(1) "Law enforcement facility" means a building or a portion of a building used exclusively by a law enforcement agency that employs peace officers as described by Articles 2.12(1) and (3), Code of Criminal Procedure, and support personnel to conduct the official business of the agency. The term does not include:

(A) any portion of a building not actively used exclusively to conduct the official business of the agency; or

(B) any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk, walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

(2) "Nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement facility" means that portion of a law enforcement facility to which the general public is denied access without express permission and to which access is granted solely to conduct the official business of the law enforcement agency.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

Amended by:

Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 572, Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2007.

#5 ·
I would have never outted myself to that group of women. You never needed to justify why you left. Just say you forgot your cellphone or you wanted to make sure your car was locked....something other than outting yourself.

At the next meeting, they will probably start blabbing about, "did you leave your gun in the car this time"...or something stupid about you carrying. You know women, they never forget anything and can never keep their trap shut when it comes to juicy neighborhood gossip...."mano3 carries a gun, did you know that?".......aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh :mad:

#55 ·
At the next meeting, they will probably start blabbing about, "did you leave your gun in the car this time"...or something stupid about you carrying. You know women, they never forget anything and can never keep their trap shut when it comes to juicy neighborhood gossip...."mano3 carries a gun, did you know that?".......aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh :mad:
That is exactly what is going to happen at the next meeting.

Reactions: Cnon
#8 ·
My local PD never had any signs up. I never carried in there. I believe the law in Kansas says no concealed carry in secured areas of the PD. To me that means a person should be able to walk into the lobby to request a copy of an accident report while carrying concealed, but going past the locked doors is a no no. Recently Kansas passed a law saying public municipal buildings must have "adequate security" or take down the signs. Then they allowed them to file for an extension before they comply and created a new gun buster sign with some wording on it. Places never posted before are now posted. PD is one of them, however the new law also did away with any criminal charges for carrying past a gunbuster sign. If discovered they can ask you to leave and if you don't you can be charged with tresspassing. So most places are still a go, but I'm not willing to see what happens to a person caught carrying at the local PD.

#10 ·
Well, you're an "open" carrier, now. :tongue:

Though, the whole question could have opened up an interesting conversation about the practical reality of crime, how wishful thinking doesn't trump an armed and violent criminal, where unarmed people don't stand much chance in today's world when violence strikes hard.

#14 ·
Letting a bunch of gossipy women know that you carry a firearm was probably not a good idea, although it was probably worth it to see their reactions.

Too bad one or two of the enlightened women on this forum had been there to back you up.

Now that would have been even more entertaining!!

#20 ·
...I'm not a cop...but if a person's disarmed in conjunction with an arrest in Tx, the handgun is entered into evidence along with other items pertaining to the arrest...TX CGC 411.206...
...if you go into the secured area of a police station...the above TX GC 411.207 applies...

#19 ·
Two observations:

1) She was probably a transplanted Yankee
There is no way she could be a native Alabamian and be surprised people walk around armed.

2) You should have been aware civilian carry is not allowed in Police Stations.

Section 6. (a)

In addition to any other place limited or prohibited by state or federal law, a person, including
a person with a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under
Section 13A
-11-85, Code of Alabama 1975, may not knowingly possess or carry a firearm in
any of the following places without the express permission of a person or entity with authority over the premises:
(1) Inside the building of a police, sheriff, or highway patrol station.

Reactions: mano3
#21 ·
I like the way you handled this situation.

First, in theory your concealment technique is good enough since there was no incident between the time you entered to the time you exited to lock up your firearm.

Second, most people can grasp the adage "when trouble is at your door, thec cops are minutes away". Even in low crime areas, 911 response times m can be 90 to 120 seconds. That may not seem like much, but sit in dead silence doing nothing for that amount of time. A lot og bad things can happen in that time.

Third, we should not be afraid to admit we carry if it comes up in conversation like this did. Obviously, you don't walk into a store and loudly annouce you are carrying, but an opportunity was there and you had a reasonable logical response. Most if us carry for logical reasons and being more open when chances arise will help dispel the demonization the antis throw around to make gun owners a new class of undesirables.

#22 ·
I find it more than mildly amusing that while sitting at the neighborhood watch meeting, she is foolish enough to ask why you would need a gun. Her mere presence indicates that she is aware of the exact reasons why a gun might be required, she is just so brainwashed that she thinks calling other armed men to come help is her only option.

Another option would be to hold up a pencil, and explain that you forgot about your lead dispensing device. Those that know would chuckle, and the others might just think you are a little weird. I try not to lie whenever possible for my own reasons. Misleading walks a fine line, but I don't think it would be innappropriate here.

#24 ·
Maybe you should have informed them that the police have no duty to protect anyone and that's why you carry. Of course, with the police at the meeting there's not much of a chance they'll be attacked there.

Reactions: mano3
#25 ·
At one time in my life I had thought that the police were suppose to protect the citizens but since reading so many articles over the past couple of months it has become obvious that I can't rely on the police. I was going to post that since you're in a police station with a bunch of armed LEO's you wouldn't need your gun. Same for a courthouse, etc. But, we have to follow the laws or pay the price for vioating the law.

#27 ·
I would be interested to know what the real world application of this means:

The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

I always thought it meant anywhere you could go when you were not being detained, but I can see how it could be interpreted as behind any doors that are normaly locked or areas that require permission to be in. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask at the station and see what they say, but be ready to get a stupid reactionary answer that doesn't reflect actual policy.

#28 ·
The law in Ohio specifically mentions police and sheriff stations, as well as government buildings as prohibited places for weapons. Even libraries, which are city or county owned/operated, are off limits. You need to know the law of your specific state. and BTW, I'd have come up with some excuse, like I forgot a pen to take notes or I forgot my cell phone, etc. I'd NEVER just openly tell a group that I had been carrying and had to go back out to my truck to lock it up! That's giving out WAY to much info to too many people who have NO need to know! First, I don't want them to know I carry. Concealed means concealed. Second, I certainly don't want to advertise that I occasionally lock my firearm up in my truck! They don't need to know that either. Some one just might blab where some one might overhear -- and that sets you up for a potential break-in and theft attempt. :rolleyes:

#38 ·
They shouldn't be so strict on gun laws, IMHO. People make bone-head mistakes all the time. As long as no harm is done no one should be slapped with a felony and/or put in prison for 25 years for putting a hole in a wall.

#32 ·
Woman: "OMG! Why would you carry a gun?!"

Me: "Why not? Heck, I always carry when I can."

All women at the meeting: "GASP!!!"

Me: "Hey, you never know who you'll run into."

I was a bit surprised at the reaction, as the meeting was about crime prevention in Alabama...

So, how did the conversation of the "security" meeting go, after that? Was it typically pie-in-sky, or did it get practical and realistic after that wonderful introduction to reality?

#34 ·
Prunefaced lady: "You carry a gun?!?!?!?"

Me: "Heck yeah, doesn't everybody?"

Old Prunie: "Are you a police officer?!?!?!?"

Me: "Nope!"

Prunezilla: "Why would you carry a gun?!?!?!?"

Me: "Because I can't carry a police officer."

Prunella: "Well, but, I never..."

Me: "Are we gonna light this candle or just sit around having a hissy over a law-abiding licensed citizen exercising his second amendment right? We're not getting any younger!"

#35 ·
This is cut & pasted from handgunlaw.us and the Alabama section. For the OP--I'd surely recommend that you study your state's laws, lest you find yourself in a significant tight spot!!

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
Section 6. (a) In addition to any other place limited or prohibited by state or federal law, a person, including a person with a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85, Code of Alabama 1975, may not knowingly possess or carry a firearm in any of the following places without the express permission of a person or entity with authority over the premises:
(1) Inside the building of a police, sheriff, or highway patrol station.
(2) Inside or on the premises of a prison, jail, halfway house, community corrections facility, or other detention facility for those who have been charged with or convicted of a criminal or juvenile offense.
(3) Inside or on the premises of a facility which provides inpatient or custodial care of those with psychiatric, mental, or emotional disorders.
(4) Inside a courthouse, courthouse annex, a building in which a District Attorney's office is located, or a building in which a county commission or city council is currently having a regularly scheduled or specially called meeting.
(5) Inside any facility hosting an athletic event not related to or involving firearms which is sponsored by a private or public elementary or secondary school or any private or public institution of postsecondary education, unless the person has a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85.
(6) Inside any facility hosting a professional athletic event not related to or involving firearms, unless the person has a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section
13A-11-85.
(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), a person, including a person with a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85, Code of Alabama 1975, may not, without the express permission of a person or entity with authority over the premises, knowingly possess or carry a firearm inside any building or facility to which access of unauthorized persons and prohibited articles is limited during normal hours of operation by the continuous posting of guards and the use of other security features, including, but not limited to, magnetometers, key cards, biometric screening devices, or turnstiles or other physical barriers.
(c) The person or entity with authority over the premises set forth in subsections (a)(1)-(6) and subsection (b) shall place a notice at the public entrances of such premises or buildings alerting those entering that firearms are prohibited. (d) Except as provided in subsections (a)(5) and (a)(6), any firearm on the premises of any facility set forth in subsection (a)(1), or subsections (a)(4)-(6), or subsection (b) must be kept from ordinary observation and locked within a compartment or in the interior of the person's motor vehicle or in a compartment or container securely affixed to the motor vehicle.
Note: The University of Alabama is stating they do not fall under the new law and their firearms policy is still in effect. No Firearms on their property even in their parking lots/garages. Other Schools of Higher Education may also be enforcing their policies on No Firearms on their campus. Use Caution until this is decided by the AG or most likely by the courts.

#39 ·
That law was just added a month ago SB286 went into affect August 1st 2013. Before that it was legal to carry inside of a police department.

Also with these 2 rulings:
Warren v. District of Columbia 1981
Police aren't required to protect you.

Browers v. FCC 1982
There is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen.

So the phrase "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop" is pointless. I always throw these 2 rulings out to people who ask me why I carry.

#40 ·
A vast majority of anti-gun liberals gasping at the thought of anyone other than a police officer carrying a gun will get the general gist of "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop" and it is a lot faster than trying to explain the rulings.

Of course, neither of which will change their mind.

It's like trying to teach a pig to sing. It's just wasting your time and aggravating the pig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.