Mistake and Conversation at the Neighborhood Watch Meeting

This is a discussion on Mistake and Conversation at the Neighborhood Watch Meeting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We had our neighborhood watch meeting at our local police station last night. I walked into the meeting room and noticed a sign that stated, ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree299Likes

Thread: Mistake and Conversation at the Neighborhood Watch Meeting

We had our neighborhood watch meeting at our local police station last night. I walked into the meeting room and noticed a sign that stated, "No Firearms". Of course I know this is meant for visitors like myslef, but I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of a "No Firearms" sign in a police station...

Anyway, I politely excuse myself to quietly lock my SIG I was CC'ing in my car.

When I reenter the meeting room, everyone asks why I left. I tell them that I mistakenly carried my gun inside and to respect the law, I had to lock it up in my car.

The woman nearby has this shocked look on her face, "You carry a gun?! Are you a police officer?"

Me: "No ma'am. I'm not a cop. That's why I left to secure my weapon in my car."

Woman: "OMG! Why would you carry a gun?!"

Me: "Why not? Heck, I always carry when I can."

All women at the meeting: "GASP!!!"

Me: "Hey, you never know who you'll run into."

I was a bit surprised at the reaction, as the meeting was about crime prevention in Alabama...

BTW: The guys at the meeting backed me up and I think were even a bit jealous.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Well, if your going to out yourself, GO BIG OR GO HOME....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    After the Trayvon Martin case, I wouldn't surprised to see neighborhood watch committees try to ban carrying while on watch. Not that such a rule would have any teeth.
    Betty, Aceoky, 2wheelGnnr and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm trying to think of a LE station that does allow citizens to carry inside. That would surprise me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I would have never outted myself to that group of women. You never needed to justify why you left. Just say you forgot your cellphone or you wanted to make sure your car was locked....something other than outting yourself.

At the next meeting, they will probably start blabbing about, "did you leave your gun in the car this time"...or something stupid about you carrying. You know women, they never forget anything and can never keep their trap shut when it comes to juicy neighborhood gossip...."mano3 carries a gun, did you know that?".......aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

I am shocked you would carry into a Govt. building in the first place, especially a police station. That could have ended badly.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I am shocked you would carry into a Govt. building in the first place, especially a police station. That could have ended badly.
    Unless Police stations aren't specifically listed as off limits, and he didn't know he couldn't until he saw the no-gun sign.
    mano3, BigJon10125 and bigdogtx like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

My local PD never had any signs up. I never carried in there. I believe the law in Kansas says no concealed carry in secured areas of the PD. To me that means a person should be able to walk into the lobby to request a copy of an accident report while carrying concealed, but going past the locked doors is a no no. Recently Kansas passed a law saying public municipal buildings must have "adequate security" or take down the signs. Then they allowed them to file for an extension before they comply and created a new gun buster sign with some wording on it. Places never posted before are now posted. PD is one of them, however the new law also did away with any criminal charges for carrying past a gunbuster sign. If discovered they can ask you to leave and if you don't you can be charged with tresspassing. So most places are still a go, but I'm not willing to see what happens to a person caught carrying at the local PD.
    Snub44, Aceoky and carracer like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Well, if your going to out yourself, GO BIG OR GO HOME....
    "Heck, I brought one for everybody, but since I can't bring them in, I left the wheeled cart outside." (more gasps)
    "But they're on sale, ladies!"

When asked why you left, I would've told them I left my phone in the car and went back to get it, or needed to grab a notepad to take notes at the meeting. I really don't like neighborhood gossip and so-and-so telling an unsavory so-and-so that I've got guns in the house.

But I'm really shocked that in Alabama that was the general reaction from the ladies.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Well, you're an "open" carrier, now.

Though, the whole question could have opened up an interesting conversation about the practical reality of crime, how wishful thinking doesn't trump an armed and violent criminal, where unarmed people don't stand much chance in today's world when violence strikes hard.
    Taurahe, Aceoky, knight65 and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Don't be surprised the next meeting you won't know nothing about it will be held at a undisclosed area .
    CIBMike likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

...sat in the squadroom of a local PD and wrote a felony offense report on a gun charge fully armed a coupla years ago...felt like old times...
    ...here's the way we do it in TX:

Sec. 411.207. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO DISARM. (a) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties may disarm a license holder at any time the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the license holder, officer, or another individual. The peace officer shall return the handgun to the license holder before discharging the license holder from the scene if the officer determines that the license holder is not a threat to the officer, license holder, or another individual and if the license holder has not violated any provision of this subchapter or committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the license holder.

(b) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties may temporarily disarm a license holder when a license holder enters a nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement facility, if the law enforcement agency provides a gun locker where the peace officer can secure the license holder's handgun. The peace officer shall secure the handgun in the locker and shall return the handgun to the license holder immediately after the license holder leaves the nonpublic, secure portion of the law enforcement facility.

(c) A law enforcement facility shall prominently display at each entrance to a nonpublic, secure portion of the facility a sign that gives notice in both English and Spanish that, under this section, a peace officer may temporarily disarm a license holder when the license holder enters the nonpublic, secure portion of the facility. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height. The sign shall be displayed in a clearly visible and conspicuous manner.

(d) In this section:

(1) "Law enforcement facility" means a building or a portion of a building used exclusively by a law enforcement agency that employs peace officers as described by Articles 2.12(1) and (3), Code of Criminal Procedure, and support personnel to conduct the official business of the agency. The term does not include:

(A) any portion of a building not actively used exclusively to conduct the official business of the agency; or

(B) any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk, walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

(2) "Nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement facility" means that portion of a law enforcement facility to which the general public is denied access without express permission and to which access is granted solely to conduct the official business of the law enforcement agency.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

Amended by:

Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 572, Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm trying to think of a LE station that does allow citizens to carry inside. That would surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Unless Police stations aren't specifically listed as off limits, and he didn't know he couldn't until he saw the no-gun sign.
    ...in AL, they're listed as off limits without express authority being given by LEO...

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Letting a bunch of gossipy women know that you carry a firearm was probably not a good idea, although it was probably worth it to see their reactions.

Too bad one or two of the enlightened women on this forum had been there to back you up.

Now that would have been even more entertaining!!
    GSDSchutzhund and Cnon like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Not illegal in VA. Only 2 state government locations prohibited are listed below. Note it says regional Jail of Juvenile Detention Center, not Police Station.

Handgunlaw.us

Courthouse.

Regional Jail or Juvenile Detention Facility.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links