renewal repeat confusing in texas

This is a discussion on renewal repeat confusing in texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; when the_ #^%$! is the dps in texas going to fix their website to go along w/ tx new chl renewel laws that were passed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: renewal repeat confusing in texas

when the_ #^%$! is the dps in texas going to fix their website to go along w/ tx new chl renewel laws that were passed on 9-1-13? theyve known this has been coming for months, but they havent changed a thing to accomadate the new chl laws. its very confusing this mess, to the user of it and.everyone else involved.sheeees

i also get a msg about sending attachments and documents, but i dont require any and have none to send..

License Status: Application processed online. Concealed Handgun Licensing is waiting on the receipt of required materials. Once the application and materials have been received by Concealed Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

since it is an online renewal as of 9-1-2013 i dont require any of this...
    you would think
    whoever is in charge of this might take just a little interest in keeping it up to date instead of making it confusing.
    i looked at utahs renewal process online and they only ask two questions, and then send your renewal license
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    Its very confusing this mess, to the user of it and.everyone else involved.sheeees
    It's not confusing to me at all. I knew the laws were coming, and so did the DPS. They did nothing. The Governor signed the bills, then, as chief executive, he did nothing. I checked the website before Sept 1. I wasn't surprised at all to see no changes had been made. I went back on Sept 1 to renew my CHL along with no telling how many other Texans. Big Shocker! Nothing had changed. What's there to be confused about?

Forget the website. That's just still up there to slow down the deluge of renewal applications that have hit their office on Sept 1. The empty checklist they are having you print out and return is just a pretense to delay your application well beyond the new 45 day statutory limit on the time they have to approve or deny the renewal application. What percentage of this deluge of applications that hit their office on Sept 1 do you think they have marked pending submission of this bogus checklist? Their pretense is that the 45 day clock isn't ticking on those applications. The reality is that the DPS has no intention of complying with the law. Come mid October, they are going to be in wholesale violation of the new 45 day limit.

The Texas state government will never voluntarily recognize our fundamental constitutional right to arms until we absolutely force them to. Governor Davis signed the ban on public possession of handguns and other legitimate weapons in 1871. He had to be removed from the capital at gunpoint in 1873. Contact your state representatives today and demand they do something about this. Let's hope there will be a lawsuit.

It takes a while for the DPS to get up to speed. They didn't make the changes, the legislature did. But I am pretty sure the legislature didn't provide any new resources to the DPS to make the changes seamless.

The other option, if you don't want to mess with the website issues, is simply to send in a paper application.

They will get this worked through. Hopefully before any of your licenses expire.
    Hopyard and Snub44 like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    It takes a while for the DPS to get up to speed. They didn't make the changes, the legislature did. But I am pretty sure the legislature didn't provide any new resources to the DPS to make the changes seamless.

The other option, if you don't want to mess with the website issues, is simply to send in a paper application.

They will get this worked through. Hopefully before any of your licenses expire.
    I haven't posted in months, but what a surprise that farronwolf hits the very next post defending, making excuses for, and minimizing the denial of our fundamental constitutional right. Mark my words, come October 15, the DPS will be in wholesale violation of the law on CHL renewals.

And Hopyard likes Farronwolf's defense of the government. I see nothing has changed here.

Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    I haven't posted in months, but what a surprise that farronwolf hits the very next post defending, making excuses for, and minimizing the denial of our fundamental constitutional right. Mark my words, come October 15, the DPS will be in wholesale violation of the law on CHL renewals.
    And whom do you think is going to spank their hand for the violation of the new laws? The legislature? The courts?

I kind of doubt it. During the last panic they weren't getting permits out in 60 days, what happened? Nothing

If you want to gripe, call your senator or representative and ask them if they gave DPS any additional resources to deal with the changes. I bet the answer, if you get one is a big NO.

DPS doesn't make laws regarding carry of firearms, they only enforce and implement them.
    Hopyard and Snub44 like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Now is a good time to get in touch with your State Congressional Reps (you have two) and your State's AG and Governor.

I don't live in TX, but I know its being pushed between agencies and is not being funded. Also, the State Senate & House are very aware of this issue, but they have to hear from enough people, before they will make it a priority.

If they have all not heard from you, personally, then there is not yet a "problem".

Call them (department of public safety). It will suprise you. A real person will amswe rthe phone and can help you out.

And whom do you think is going to spank their hand for the violation of the new laws? The legislature? The courts?
    I advocated doing something about it. You made excuses and defended the government that is denying our rights even beyond what the law allows.

I kind of doubt it. During the last panic they weren't getting permits out in 60 days, what happened? Nothing
    Wasn't it you, and Hopyard, who opposed the bills we're discussing now? Didn't you argue for pages and pages in opposition to reduced training requirements? Now you're defending the DPS when they won't comply with the law you opposed? What a surprise!

If you want to gripe, call your senator or representative and ask them if they gave DPS any additional resources to deal with the changes. I bet the answer, if you get one is a big NO.
    I have multiple times. If it's just the same to you, I'll gripe in public here too. You go ahead and continue to advocate gun control and wholesale violation of my rights, and I'll advocate freedom.

DPS doesn't make laws regarding carry of firearms, they only enforce and implement them.
    Stop making excuses for the government, as if the DPS has no control over their own budget, policies or procedures. As if the Governor has no ability to administer the agencies he has direct control over in compliance with the laws he himself has signed. What a waste of breath!

Quote Originally Posted by warbirds View Post
    Call them (department of public safety). It will suprise you. A real person will amswe rthe phone and can help you out.
    No, they won't. They'll put you on hold for 20 minutes. Then they'll hang up on you before you ever get to speak to a human. They are likely swamped with thousands of renewal applications that have expired over the summer. They are likely swamped with thousands and thousands of new applications now that the training requirements have been reduced.

This is why the NRA and all the lawsuits to date have so far let us down. A permission slip from the government will never be equivalent to actually having the freedom to exercise our rights. If the government and the majority have the power to give permission, they have the power to deny it. My question to my representative was how many days of delays have to pass before they have violated my constitutional right? How many days of delays, for purely administrative, budgetary, and ministerial reasons, before Texas laws are equivalent to the law that just got struck down in Illinois?

Despite Farronwolf's and Hopyard's opposition to these bills, freedom advocates in Texas eliminated the training requirement altogether for renewals.

Texas HB 47

They are losing the debate. One court case at a time, one Texas law at a time. Don't accept their excuses. Call your representatives.

Are you certain there isn't going to be on online refresher and test administered by the state for renewals?

That is the way HB 47 reads.

(j) For license holders seeking to renew their licenses, the
    department may offer online, or allow a qualified handgun
    instructor to offer online, the classroom instruction part of the
    handgun proficiency course and the written section of the proficiency examination.
    As far as the thousands that let their permits expire over the summer. That is on them, they should have renewed when they had the time.
    Snub44 likes this.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Are you certain there isn't going to be on online refresher and test administered by the state for renewals?

That is the way HB 47 reads.
    You're still holding out hope that the state of Texas will continue to violate our rights aren't you. You lost the debate Farronwolf. The training requirement was reduced for new applications and it was eliminated for renewals. HB 47 was tabled. Better luck with your gun control agenda next time.

Last action on HB 47 - 05/04/2013 H Laid on the table subject to call

As far as the thousands that let their permits expire over the summer. That is on them, they should have renewed when they had the time.
    That's right. Blame the victims who have had their rights denied by the Government. Face it Farronwolf. We're all going to get our CHLs without your beloved mandatory training. Thousands of new applicants are going to get theirs with only a superficial fraction of the mandatory training you think we should have before we can get permission to exercise our fundamental constitutional right. That we allowed our CHLs to expire to avoid your unnecessary and unconstitutional training requirement became moot on Sept 1.

They have 45 days to approve or deny all of the applications or be in violation of the law. I won't be surprised at all that come October 15, they'll be in wholesale violation. Maybe what we need to do in the next session is to legislate mandatory training for every state employee that is in a position to delay or deny any CHL application. We'll make them pay for that privilege out of their own pocket. Maybe you can make up for some of your lost CHL training business that way! Oh, and why don't we make it a Class A misdemeanor while we're at it?

If you think it is such a fundamental Constitutional right to not have to do what the state says, then why do you even bother with the permit in the first place? Why don't you simply go about open carrying and fight it in the courts when you are arrested.

If you are right, you will win, then you can say "told you so" all you want.

And yes, I was wrong on the 47 vs 48, my bad.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If you think it is such a fundamental Constitutional right to not have to do what the state says, then why do you even bother with the permit in the first place? Why don't you simply go about open carrying and fight it in the courts when you are arrested.
    Keep and bear arms Farronwolf. We have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. You just can't accept that can you. Oh, and while we've been debating this same issue for five years, Albergo Aguilar has been going through the courts. They've been making all the same arguments I've been making all this time. He just won yesterday. The Illinois law, very very similar to Texas 46.02, was ruled unconstitutional on it's face by the Illinois Supreme Court. The ruling is heavily based upon Heller, McDonald, and Moore v Madigan. You know, all those cases you've argued against time after time. Possession of a handgun in public for self defense is a fundamental constitutional right. You're losing the debate. Your arguments are losing over and over in court.

http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2013/112116.pdf

If you are right, you will win, then you can say "told you so" all you want.
    I told you so, over and over and over.

And yes, I was wrong on the 47 vs 48, my bad.
    I told you so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links