My wife announced that she's going to get her CHP!

This is a discussion on My wife announced that she's going to get her CHP! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been married for less than a year. When we were dating, she wasn't anti-gun, but she couldn't understand why anyone would want to carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: My wife announced that she's going to get her CHP!

My wife announced that she's going to get her CHP!

I've been married for less than a year. When we were dating, she wasn't anti-gun, but she couldn't understand why anyone would want to carry one in public. Her and some of her friends thought it was paranoid to carry a gun outside the home. Of course none of them watch the local news and have any clue about the violent crime around the Hampton Roads area. Any time I brought up something from the local news, my wife would say "that's why I don't watch the news, I want to be happy and not worry".

My wife shocked me this past weekend when she told me that she wants to get her CHP and carry. Then difference between then and now is that she sells products that involve going to other people's homes who host the parties, and some of those homes have been in neighborhoods that had her pretty scared when she walked to her car at night after the party's over.

She's planning on taking over my LC9 and I will either go back to carrying my Glock 23 or have an excuse to buy something new. We both like the fact that it has a long trigger pull and manual safety which will prevent an accidental/negligent discharge while carrying it in her purse. I told her that I recommend carrying IWB in case her purse gets snatched, but she tried that and wont do it. Not ideal IMO, but it's progress.

I think a good compromise between carrying in her purse and IWB is to go to the bathroom before leaving the party and place the pistol IWB and then removing it after she's locked herself in her car, and keep it in her purse the rest of the time. What do you think?
    BugDude and Brent95 like this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Congratulations!

RE Purse Carry- there are ways to carry a purpose made CC purse (they have metal in the straps so you can't cut and run) that makes it near impossible to snatch them - My wife has Gun Toten Mama's purse

Congratulations! I announced the same thing to my husband earlier this year, then promptly said "I don't like my gun, I want your's". My husband is now shopping for his new firearm. Talk about win-win!

Don't give up on the IWB until you try a Remora holster. I carry a PT111 quite easily concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
    Congratulations! I announced the same thing to my husband earlier this year, then promptly said "I don't like my gun, I want your's". My husband is now shopping for his new firearm. Talk about win-win!

Don't give up on the IWB until you try a Remora holster. I carry a PT111 quite easily concealed.
    I already have a Remora holster for the LC9 (and my Glock 23), but have switched to using an N82 Tactical Pro. She doesn't like IWB because she wears tight fitting pants and no belt. A Remora sounds perfect for this. I didn't even think to have her try the Remora because I was carrying it in the N82 at the time.

Thanks!
    Aceoky likes this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

My wife picked up a concealed carry purse and I "pity the fool" who tries to snatch it from her. G 26 up his a$$. They are well designed to allow quick (damn near immediate) access to her weapon as well as being set up to make snatching nearly impossible. As always situational awareness is vital but it is so easy to grip her gun in the purse pocket and no one would even realize she has her hand on her gun. When she is riding her bike she carries in a fanny pack worn in front.
    Aceoky and BurgerBoy like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

When I got my CC permit about a year ago my wife was the same way. Didn't understand why I wanted to carry and was opposed to spending the money on a handgun. About a month after I got my permit and started carrying, she was at a late meeting in the downtown area of the city we live near and had an encounter with a couple of men. They didn't confront her directly but she was scared and questioned their intentions. That next day she announced that she wanted a CC permit and to buy a gun of her own. She took the class and now she carries a SIG P238 in her purse. I had the talk with her about carrying it on her person but she won't budge. She practices with her purse draw when we go to the range and I am confident that she can defend herself if she needs to. Now it's something else that we both have in common and she's the one suggesting we go to the range.
    BurgerBoy and GSDSchutzhund like this.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Congrats, one more joining the ranks.

Best to your wife, good choice. (wish I could get my wife to the range

Not a whole lot better than a day at the range with the family. Now soon it will be the grandkids can't wait.

VIP Member
    Congrats! Mrs. Stove made the plunge this past summer.

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you've got a keeper!!!

I asked my wife last night if she would be interested in getting a sitter and we could make a date night out of going to the range. When she finally stopped laughing (which took a while), she said "Um...no."

Let's see, she thinks old cars are stupid, guns are stupid, golf is stupid, and I'm stupid...I'm wondering how we ever made it past that first date almost 28 years ago to the day. It's a good thing she's smoking red hot.
    Chesafreak and GSDSchutzhund like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Congratulations!!! Sounds like you've got a keeper!!!

I asked my wife last night if she would be interested in getting a sitter and we could make a date night out of going to the range. When she finally stopped laughing (which took a while), she said "Um...no."

Let's see, she thinks old cars are stupid, guns are stupid, golf is stupid, and I'm stupid...I'm wondering how we ever made it past that first date almost 28 years ago to the day. It's a good thing she's smoking red hot.

Useless without pics......

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I've been married for less than a year. When we were dating, she wasn't anti-gun, but she couldn't understand why anyone would want to carry one in public. Her and some of her friends thought it was paranoid to carry a gun outside the home. Of course none of them watch the local news and have any clue about the violent crime around the Hampton Roads area. Any time I brought up something from the local news, my wife would say "that's why I don't watch the news, I want to be happy and not worry".

My wife shocked me this past weekend when she told me that she wants to get her CHP and carry. Then difference between then and now is that she sells products that involve going to other people's homes who host the parties, and some of those homes have been in neighborhoods that had her pretty scared when she walked to her car at night after the party's over.

She's planning on taking over my LC9 and I will either go back to carrying my Glock 23 or have an excuse to buy something new. We both like the fact that it has a long trigger pull and manual safety which will prevent an accidental/negligent discharge while carrying it in her purse. I told her that I recommend carrying IWB in case her purse gets snatched, but she tried that and wont do it. Not ideal IMO, but it's progress.

I think a good compromise between carrying in her purse and IWB is to go to the bathroom before leaving the party and place the pistol IWB and then removing it after she's locked herself in her car, and keep it in her purse the rest of the time. What do you think?
    Had this discussion (and still have it) with my wife. I've gotten her to make sure her purse is unzipped and her hand is in the purse when she walks to the car. All she has to do is pull and shoot, but since her hand's in a purse, it's not a threatening gesture. Also, make sure your wife wears the purse around her neck so someone can't just snatch it. it'll keep it from swinging and give her even more reason to have her hand resting on the top, if not in it.
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Pittsburgh is going the Superbowl!
    Here we go!

VIP Member
    Congrats on the turn around.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

TRX
    My wife got her permit, and I've lost track of how many purses and doodads she has bought to accessorize her Ruger...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links