Who had their permit issued under "May Issue"?

This is a discussion on Who had their permit issued under "May Issue"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had mine issued when Virginia was in the process of switching from "May" to "Shall". I lived in Alexandria at the time (the heart ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Who had their permit issued under "May Issue"?

I had mine issued when Virginia was in the process of switching from "May" to "Shall". I lived in Alexandria at the time (the heart of liberalism in Va.) and had to meet the May Issue requirements.

Share with us your stories of how you where able to get a CCW under May Issue.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I know Welder has.
    welder516 likes this.

I got mine when Alabama was May Issue. It just became Shall Issue this year. No problems except it took 6 weeks.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Back in the 80s I tried. I had all the right paperwork, recommendations, etc., but the sheriff insisted that he could protect me so I was never issued a permit.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Moderator
    I've had a permit in Alabama since 1992 and it has been "May issue" until this August. How I got me first permit went something like this

I went to the Sheriff's office and said "Hey Randy how's it going?" After Randy and I inquired about each others family I said I was there to get a permit and he gave me the form to fill out, I paid the $10 and walked out with my permit it took all of 45 minutes, with the first 30 minutes spent talking.
    TVJ, chriscw81, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I got my AL permit when it was still a 'may issue' state.
    I had to get 3 (iirc) 'sponsors' to sign my paperwork, and I gave the reason for requiring one as "to enable the legal transportation of my gun to the range".

Sara Lou
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

VIP Member
    This is how 4 family members in our family business received permits . My one brother did get his non-resident for Maryland as one of those permits .These permits are Restricted to Money for business ( not 24/7 ) and to and from Work .
    # 1 We did training even if the process did not require it at the time 40 hrs. a retired federal Marshall did our training . Part of our paperwork included a letter from my Father ( President of Corp ) stating he wanted us to receive permits and for the purpose of cash money , break-ins , security . This part is important this is the Good & Substandual Part or reason ( G&S)
    # 2 provided receipts , tax returns , corp. stamps and documents ( To show you have a legit company )
    # 3 Provide fingerprints electronic only, once you do the fingerprints you have 72 hrs. to get the paperwork to them .
    # 4 Must also have 3 references of good people that never were in trouble . We do know and had business dealings with retired LEO's did private eye stuff for us . business related . they must know you for awhile .
    #5 Once all the paperwork was in They contact your refrences and they called two of the three people they happened to call both Leo's . They also talked with my wife about me and they talked to me about her . Also i was quite surprised they ask what medicine i was taking every last thing . The female Trooper was nice and responded nice to me . She also ask me what firearm i was going to carry . I told her a 38 snubnose and believe it or not she said no not that . I then told her i have a PX4 and she said yes thats the one you want . I could not believe that .
    One thing i thought it was going to take 6 or 8 months and it took 47 complete days from mailbox to mailbox i received my permit on my birthday this year May 16th a great present for me and i have never looked back . Oh yeah this first permit is only good for two years . I hope i have explained it good for everyone . I hope it helps
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    This is how 4 family members in our family business received permits . My one brother did get his non-resident for Maryland as one of those permits .These permits are Restricted to Money for business ( not 24/7 ) and to and from Work .
    # 1 We did training even if the process did not require it at the time 40 hrs. a retired federal Marshall did our training . Part of our paperwork included a letter from my Father ( President of Corp ) stating he wanted us to receive permits and for the purpose of cash money , break-ins , security . This part is important this is the Good & Substandual Part or reason ( G&S)
    # 2 provided receipts , tax returns , corp. stamps and documents ( To show you have a legit company )
    # 3 Provide fingerprints electronic only, once you do the fingerprints you have 72 hrs. to get the paperwork to them .
    # 4 Must also have 3 references of good people that never were in trouble . We do know and had business dealings with retired LEO's did private eye stuff for us . business related . they must know you for awhile .
    #5 Once all the paperwork was in They contact your refrences and they called two of the three people they happened to call both Leo's . They also talked with my wife about me and they talked to me about her . Also i was quite surprised they ask what medicine i was taking every last thing . The female Trooper was nice and responded nice to me . She also ask me what firearm i was going to carry . I told her a 38 snubnose and believe it or not she said no not that . I then told her i have a PX4 and she said yes thats the one you want . I could not believe that .
    One thing i thought it was going to take 6 or 8 months and it took 47 complete days from mailbox to mailbox i received my permit on my birthday this year May 16th a great present for me and i have never looked back . Oh yeah this first permit is only good for two years . I hope i have explained it good for everyone . I hope it helps
    Good lord that's enormous amount of crap to have to do, that's absolutely horrendous. I can't wait to see Maryland (and, hopefully, every other may-issue state) forced to go shall-issue. I really think things are headed that way.

On a more relevant note, I'd really love to see a post from someone who's managed to snag a carry permit in one of the more infamously "next-to-impossible" locales like New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco / Bay Area, or pretty much anywhere in New Jersey.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.

VIP Member
    I left of the biggest part it cost several thousand dollars to do . I wish i had done it sooner in life i must say i would do it again just to have the "Right To Carry" I have also offered to help business owners that i know any help if they need it for Maryland . Also working with my brother in law for his out of states permits . We need to wake up like minded people that they too can carry .
    blitzburgh, Aceoky and Pinot like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Four of my family that live in New York State (not New York City) got their permits under 'may issue'. The shortest elapsed time was 7 months, the longest 11 months. But they have them.

Fitch
    welder516 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I got mine when Alabama was May Issue. It just became Shall Issue this year. No problems except it took 6 weeks.
    Live the avatar Rebel! God Bless President Reagan!

Lived here most of my life, always May Issue as far as I know. Discharged from USMC in Aug. 83 shipped pistol to GS before I left NC, took class and received permit Feb. 84. Still takes 6 to 8 months.

I carried concealed in Maryland for four years. Most people simply believe they will be denied so theydon't bother to apply.

Maryland was easier to get than Texas.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Any thoughts on how a non-resident like me who must travel to Maryland a few times each year gets a permit?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Counties over 500,000 in California are "May Issue." My wife and I live in one of those counties. I submitted a written justification, as did my wife. We both had to take training (we were already doing it), undergo an oral interview by a deputy, submit fingerprints to go through the LiveScan system, and finally got our permits. The whole process took 14 months for me, 18 for my wife because her prints did not scan well. Our statements of good cause were subsequently published in the paper and although our names were redacted, there was enough personal information left in that anyone could have figured who we were.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    congrats to your wife on this choice
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links