Some random thoughts & experiences w/ girlfriends and CCW

This is a discussion on Some random thoughts & experiences w/ girlfriends and CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been on the gun boards for quite awhile and one consistent topic that pops up pertains to wives and girlfriends who either don't support ...

Thread: Some random thoughts & experiences w/ girlfriends and CCW

Some random thoughts & experiences w/ girlfriends and CCW

I've been on the gun boards for quite awhile and one consistent topic that pops up pertains to wives and girlfriends who either don't support CCW, are unhappy their boyfriends or husbands CCW, or refuse themselves to consider getting a CCW.

I'm real lucky in a lot of ways with my g/f. She's perfect if you ask me and I simply can't say enough good things about her, absolutely amazing and beautiful in every way and on the gun issue as well, though she was not solidly in the "CCWing herself" camp right away. She wasn't at all phased and actually felt more comfortable when she learned I religiously carried my USP when we began dating. Within two weeks of dating she'd gone with me and fired the big HK. Being in the Army probably didn't hurt her from a gun perspective either.

Because I love my girlfriend and her adorable and equally perfect two-year daughter Madison tremendously, it probably doesn't surprise any of you that not long after we started dating I began suggesting that SHE too carry a gun. While not opposed, she wasn't in love with the idea. I didn't make a big deal of it, and I told her that under no circumstances would I pressure her and we would discuss it later and revisit it. Slowly I began showing her stories etc., and discussing different scenarios with her. I told her I loved her and Maddy and was not comfortable with them being unarmed when by themselves. This really resonated with her....she is fiercely protective of Maddy as any good mother is. She's tough, but at 5'2 and 105lbs there are limitations. So now she plans on CCW and in a few weeks my tax return will be transformed into the gun that fit her best, a Glock 19.

Now, I freely admit, I didn't have to sell this hard. But there is a lesson to be learned....we have logic and empirical data on our side as gun carriers. If we play it smart and let the facts speak for themselves and are persistent and lead by example, we can prevail. I would die (after I killed gruesomely the transgressor) if anything happened to either Maddy or her mommy, the same way I'm sure all of you feel about your wives, girlfriends, and daughters. The awareness and empowerment is worth the time and effort. Take the time, make the effort. I will feel much better when she is toting the Glock around.

One scenario that I discussed with her seemed to really make her think. It was a question I first posed to myself rhetorically, and then to her; How many people do you think everyday watch you and size you up as a victim?? While on the PCSD recruiting page I wandered over to the registered sex offender site and read some of the "resumes" of the Level III offenders on the site. That these people are released and on the street is an outrage, but that's for another thread. It is this type of violent offender that robbed Dru Sjodrin of her live in North Dakota....a violent, high-risk offender just released. One lives on the same major street as me. His rap sheet includes a violent rape of a minor while on parole for Burg2. Yet this predator is on the street again. Another stabbed a woman in '73, then raped a woman and beat her and her 12 year old daughter in the head with a hammer. He's on the street again. These people don't have scarlet letters on....they're in the community and watching. These people could at any time be sizing up my diminutive girlfriend and her daughter, and it pains me to even think about that.

I doubt I need to remind anyone here, but the world is full of sick predators. Predators who are out there, incognito, watching our loved ones. We can't always be there, but we can do our best to prepare them, both in terms of mindset and actual firepower. Some may not think about it the way we do. Some may not realize fully the threat or consider the implications. Some may not fully grasp the value of firearms. It's our job to rectify that.

For the curious, check 'em out.

www.piercesheriff.org

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Well said. Protecting family is what it\'s all about.

This is what Charlie Daniels has to say about sex offenders (lyrics from Simple Man:

\"Just take them rascals out in the swamp
    Put \'em on their knees and tie \'em to a stump
    Let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest\"

Lead Moderator
    guess I\'m lucky my girlfriend like to hunt and is working on getting her CCW permit. Yes some folks can be swayed, others just are too set in their ways to listen to valid arguements.

If you\'re in a state that publishes lists of regional sex offenders, show the list to your wives, friends, domestic partners or whatever. My old lady, who has a permit, knows full well there are several dozen within a 1/2 mile radius since we live right next to the major college in this part of the state.

Once someone starts, or sees the benefit that having a gun can have in the real world, they have a tendency to not quit.

I attribute the methhead break-in attempt at our first lousy apartment plus an attempted carjacking to really showing the reality of how quickly Mr. Concealed Firearm can help out in a situation at hand.

Originally posted by rfurtkamp
    If you\'re in a state that publishes lists of regional sex offenders, show the list to your wives, friends, domestic partners or whatever. My old lady, who has a permit, knows full well there are several dozen within a 1/2 mile radius since we live right next to the major college in this part of the state.

Once someone starts, or sees the benefit that having a gun can have in the real world, they have a tendency to not quit.

I attribute the methhead break-in attempt at our first lousy apartment plus an attempted carjacking to really showing the reality of how quickly Mr. Concealed Firearm can help out in a situation at hand.
    Can this guy get an AMEN!?

AMEN!:D

My older son has a glock .45 I gave him and shoots with me once in awhile so he is not anti-gun but his wife is. She hates the NRA, will not discuss guns at all and yet is very kind to me and my wife. My nephew and his wife are anti-gun and hate the NRA and I have no idea why the hate on for the NRA. :barf: I cannot get these people up to speed on being alert or taking a safety course or just go shooting with me. They all live in this fog that everything is OK and we don\'t need guns for protection. Now these people are educated, smart and work hard at what they do, but can you guess who they really liked in the past election.
    I can just see it coming one day where something bad happens and it won\'t really be the fault of the bad guy. I am for being prepared as best you can, learn about guns for your own safety and shoot once in awhile.

I am not so lucky, there are days when teh wifey wipes the range floor with my heiney. She is a damn good shot and has no problem with me getting more pistols. Our 3rd anniversary is coming up and I ordered a bunch of lil items from Brownells to mod out here 1911. I will post pics when all is said and done.

~A

Links