CCW rule clairification, members from Kentucky please chime in.

This is a discussion on CCW rule clairification, members from Kentucky please chime in. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have an Ohio CHL and i will to traveling to Louisville KY this weekend to attend a wedding. i was looking up laws and ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Aceoky
  • 1 Post By JerryMac
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four

Thread: CCW rule clairification, members from Kentucky please chime in.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar

Question CCW rule clairification, members from Kentucky please chime in.

i have an Ohio CHL and i will to traveling to Louisville KY this weekend to attend a wedding.

i was looking up laws and found some conflicting information:

Kentucky Concealed Carry Permit Information

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf

Kentucky

so few things that needs to be cleared up

1. carry in establishment that serves alcohol OK or not ?

one source says no carry in places that serve booze, one source says carry is OK and to add to the confusion the third source says carry OK only if i am eating in a restaurant and not in bar or bar area of a restaurant.

2. CC or OC in my car ?

one source says i must carry in plain view in my car (OH used to same this rule even with CHL ) and the other says i can CC in my car with CHL.

3. gun buster sign by businesses carry force of law ?

i understand that any property owner can ask me to leave for any reason and i must do so. but do these signs carry force of law? meaning : will i automatically be in trouble if i somehow was outed or encounter law enforcement?

4. which brings me to the question: do i have duty to inform? handgunlaw says "NO". in OH i have duty to inform, and it's the first thing i say to an officer upon encounter.

i will inform anyway if i get pulled over, i will show my CHL and DL at the same time. but if for some reason i was to engage in short conversation with LE do i need to inform? should i anyway? example : asking for direction or somehow end up being a witness to a crime or car wreck and is being asked a few questions by LE. unlikely to happen but i would like to know what the custom is locally and whats expected of me by local LE.

any other laws i should beware of? mag limit, hollow point ban, semi auto ban...ect...ect...as i understand it KY has very nonrestrictive gun laws, just want to make sure before i travel.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

1. - YES- but NOT in bars OR the bar area of the establishment sitting at a table OK - at the bar is NOT
    2. YES (Either you want also without permit you can carry in center console, glove box, seat back)
    3. NO signs carry no force of law must leave IF asked to * you won't likely see many signs in most of Ky not sure about Jefferson County
    4. No duty to inform but LEO more likely to give you a break IF you do anyway- your call- again Louisville Jefferson county (along with Lexington/Fayette county are the most liberal parts of Ky. )

No ammo magazine limits, HP fine- KY is VERY 2nd Friendly our State Constitution allows for open carry pretty much everywhere (obviously not court rooms, police stations SO , schools & Fed )
    Ghost1958 and RandyLC9 like this.

Ace is on target with the info, only time i would worry bout any of it, is if i were pulled over, then i would hand ccl liscense with drivers liscense and you should have not a problem, for the rest, and i live in ky, i do not go to bars and drink, but i eat at establishments that serve alcohol, my general rule on that, C.A.N.T ...carry always never tell......if your truly carrying concealed, no one is gonna know anyhow...
    Aceoky likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Yep if your good on Ohio CC laws your gonna love Ky.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Kentucky has some of the better gun laws around. Unless you do something stupid you should be just fine. Hope you enjoy your visit.

(For what it is worth I've got the liberalism of Louisville and Lexington beat by far out here in the forgotten eastern part of the state.)
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Kentucky has some of the better gun laws around. Unless you do something stupid you should be just fine. Hope you enjoy your visit.

(For what it is worth I've got the liberalism of Louisville and Lexington beat by far out here in the forgotten eastern part of the state.)
    We are sort of the forgotten step children out here aint we LOL
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Links