Concealed Carry at 18

Concealed Carry at 18

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry at 18 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I recently found out that under Texas law members of the military can apply for a concealed carry permit at 18, as apposed to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry at 18

Concealed Carry at 18

So I recently found out that under Texas law members of the military can apply for a concealed carry permit at 18, as apposed to 21. Which is good news for me because I'm joining the air force in January. So I was wondering, if I got a permit at 18 would it be recognized in other states that allow concealed carry? And would I still have to be 21 to purchase a handgun?

When your in another state you have to play by their rules....If they say 21, you must be 21...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

TVJ
    If another state honors Texas CHL, then they honor it. If he is 18 and has the card, it shouldnt matter the age requirement in the other state for the other states license. The Texas CHL trumps it because they accept it and thereby accept Texas requirements.

Do some research here, Gav: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Find out for yourself. Dont necessarily act on advice from a message board. You are on the line, not the peanut gallery here.
    BenGoodLuck and manolito like this.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Harry's dead on right, and I doubt you'll find many states that allow concealed carry at 18, and for good reason. I'll say this much though, I've always been a believer that if someone was old enough and responsible to kill and be killed for this country, they should be considered old enough to drink and carry a weapon in this country.
    Stoveman and TomC51 like this.
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Pittsburgh is going the Superbowl!
    Here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    If another state honors Texas CHL, then they honor it. If he is 18 and has the card, it shouldnt matter the age requirement in the other state for the other states license. The Texas CHL trumps it because they accept it and thereby accept Texas requirements.

Do some research here, Gav: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Find out for yourself. Dont necessarily act on advice from a message board. You are on the line, not the peanut gallery here.
    Im not sure I would want to be the test case for something like this. I do not believe that a texas CHL with reciprocity, trumps another states law....
    BenGoodLuck and ccw9mm like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I don't know about the military part,but as far as i know in S.C. you have to be 21 for the CCP.I don't think there is an exception for military here,but can say for sure.I'm 19 and can own a gun.I can carry it in my vehicle legally but can't buy the ammo for it,grrr.

That's just stupid,but it's the law.
    Dan060 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Im not sure I would want to be the test case for something like this. I do not believe that a texas CHL with reciprocity, trumps another states law....
    I agree that I wouldn't want to be a test case, but as TVJ said above, if a state honors another state's permit, that seems to be all that is needed. There are different minimum driving ages throughout the states, but all states honor all other states' licenses. Some states may place restrictions on driving ages; for example, in New York State, you cannot drive if you are under 16, regardless of whether you have a license or not.

If you hold a learner permit, junior permit, or junior driver license from outside New York State, you must obey the restrictions based on the region of New York State in which you will be driving. You must obey the NYS restriction in addition to the restrictions imposed by your home state. Make sure your permit or license is valid to drive outside your home state before you drive in New York State. If you are under age 16, you cannot drive in New York State, even if you hold a permit or license issued by another state. (NYS DMV - Younger Driver - Graduated License Law)

So if another state does not place any restrictions on the out-of-state CHL holder, than the age difference will not matter.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Any state that we (texas) has reciprocity with, the CHL holder, must abide by their laws. They may honor that you have a permit but you are resposible to uphold their laws of CC. That's what I was told a few months ago when I took my class.
    Eagleks likes this.

VIP Member
    IANAL, but my understanding is you will be required to follow the laws of the state you are in. For example TX and OK have a reciprocity agreement allowing individuals from one state to legally carry in the other. However it does not allow a Oklahoma permit holder to open carry (which is legal there) in TX.

As to purchasing a handgun. Having a carry permit has nothing to do with purchasing a handgun. That is controlled by Federal law and prohibits the purchase from a FFL dealer. You may be able to private pruchase, depending on state law where your located.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Yea in S.C. as Brent put it,you can own a handgun if you are 18 yrs old,whether it's thru private sales or maybe a family member buys it for them.At 18,you can't have a CCP,nor can you buy legally buy ammo for a gun.That is stupid.

Texas and S.C. honors each other's CCP,but don't see anything about an 18 yr old in the military with the CCP,so far as S.C. anyway,but i may have missed it.

I don't recall which one(s) offhand, but I've seen the statement on a few states' reciprocity/recognition descriptions that they won't recognize anyone under 21, even if the other state issues at that age.

OK, check out MI and WI, for example, on handgunlaw.us
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I don't see any exceptions for my state,so far as the age.I don't guess waiting a couple more years will kill me.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    I agree that I wouldn't want to be a test case, but as TVJ said above, if a state honors another state's permit, that seems to be all that is needed. There are different minimum driving ages throughout the states, but all states honor all other states' licenses. Some states may place restrictions on driving ages; for example, in New York State, you cannot drive if you are under 16, regardless of whether you have a license or not.

If you hold a learner permit, junior permit, or junior driver license from outside New York State, you must obey the restrictions based on the region of New York State in which you will be driving. You must obey the NYS restriction in addition to the restrictions imposed by your home state. Make sure your permit or license is valid to drive outside your home state before you drive in New York State. If you are under age 16, you cannot drive in New York State, even if you hold a permit or license issued by another state. (NYS DMV - Younger Driver - Graduated License Law)

So if another state does not place any restrictions on the out-of-state CHL holder, than the age difference will not matter.
    Never try to equate DLs with CC permits. It doesn't work that way and the penalties are very different.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I've had an Indiana permit since 18. Guess you'd be okay here.

OP, I would think this argument would only be valid if you actually get stationed at Lackland or another base there in TX. I would also look into what they consider "active military". In the Marine Corps, members aren't consider full active duty until hitting the fleet. And then carrying on from what others have said, first hand knowledge is the best knowledge. Call around and ask sherriffs dept's and maybe even DOJs. We aren't the ones who get stuck with a felony if we're wrong, its you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links