CCW for fat guys

This is a discussion on CCW for fat guys within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BigBore but i reached for it one night and pulled out my remote control. LOL... yeah, been in that position !...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCW for fat guys

Quote Originally Posted by BigBore View Post
    but i
    reached for it one night and pulled out my remote control.
    LOL... yeah, been in that position !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BigBore View Post
    I used to carry a
    P3-AT under my love handle but i
    reached for it one night and pulled out my remote control.
    Ouch! Getting close to home.

Believe me when I say some of us are laughing with you--not at you.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like this thread as I too am a "fat guy".

I have tried a few differant things and I now carry my Taurus 85 in a OWB Bianchi Model 5 Black Widow. It rides high enough to conceal with an untucked shirt and while the grip (rubber not wood) does touch my side the hammer is well covered with the strap and I get no problem areas at all. I drive an hour each day to work and then work in and out of an office chair and it dose just fine.

I might mention that I now use an 1 1/4" heavy leather belt but I am ordering a new Bianch 1 1/2" leather belt very soon. An 1 3/4" inch belt would be ideal but I find that it will not go through most of my pants belt loops.

Quoting from my avatar..."I'm not fat! I'm festively plump!"

I've got a mildly Cartman-like build at 6'1" and 235. That's pounds, not kilograms!!! But I've always done what I can to avoid and bypass waistband carry. In one situation (where the situation warrants) I ankle carry. Other times I will carry in a shoulder holster, or lately, in my nice new SigTac Concealed Carry Coat! Works great, but I think I'll have to get a P3AT for next summer...pocket carry, basically.

Finally a thread for me!!!! I am with you guys in the "husky" catigory. But who are we fooling. We have excess body fat. Not totally our fault but ofcorse we know that. Anyway. I had a hard time thinking that a IWB would be confortable. So i have never tried one. My first holseter was the Don Hume Agent OWB. Its confortable in most positions but sitting in tight chairs, and cars is kinda tough.

So far most people have thought the Max-Con V is great, so i may consider buying one soon.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I am shall we say , large. The deal here is each person carries their fat differently. I have hardly anything on my back and sides so it is real comfortable for me to carry IWB at 4:00 without being poked.
    I . by the way carry a full sized 1911 cocked and locked.

I'm 6'6", 325 lbs... when I work I carry a Glock 26 in my pocket, when I'm off I carry my Glock 17 w/ +2's in a Galco SS2 Shoulder rig.

I don't know about you but I simply can't do IWB and because I wear my pants more at my hips than my waist OWB carry makes it so the barrel of the gun is always sticking out of the bottom of my shirt.

So its either shoulder carry, pocket carry... or something I haven't thought of yet! (maybe ankle or smartcarry but I don't really like the idea of either as much as my current setup).
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
    So its either shoulder carry, pocket carry... or something I haven't thought of yet! (maybe ankle or smartcarry but I don't really like the idea of either as much as my current setup).
    Just FYI on ankle carry, if you do try it, avoid the Uncle Mike's rig. I carried a K-frame in an Uncle Mike's for several months...once the velcro support strap let go, and it never was very secure. I would NEVER have tried to run with it. But recently I got a Bianchi Triad to carry my new Bersa Thunder 380. It weighs about the same as my S&W but the Bianchi holds it rock solid...and I have run with it on my ankle, it stays where it needs to be. The strange thing is, the Bianchi doesn't even have a calf-strap, and still its a lot more solid than the Uncle Mikes (which does). The Galco Ankle Glove is supposed to be one of the best, but I don't have one...I wanted a nylon holster instead of a molded leather one, so it could accommodate similar guns (in this case, the Kel-Tec PF-9, which certainly isn't going to get a Galco molded holster, at least anytime soon).

Obviously there are other drawbacks to an ankle holster that have been well documented (slowness of draw, etc) but for certain scenarios (such as a church, for example, when you are sitting and are statistically unlikely to be the first target) where it works nicely. Of course, if the opportunity was there, shoulder and pocket carry are much nicer just because of accessibility. Ankle carry is good for the rare situations when those aren't as feasible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links