CCW for fat guys

This is a discussion on CCW for fat guys within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok i'm one of those guys who's belly hangs over his belt. I live in Florida so the dress of the day is usually jeans ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW for fat guys

CCW for fat guys

Ok i'm one of those guys who's belly hangs over his belt. I live in Florida so the dress of the day is usually jeans and a tee shirt. I used to carry a commander in an IWB holster but got tired of the cocked hammer jabbing me in the gut everytime I sat down not to mention those new beavertail safetys. I presently use a S&W 4516 D/A with a bobbed hammer. I prefer all steel guns "Old School" and the smitty is bet your life reliable. Wonder how other fat guys carry
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

2. Remove Ads

I carry both iwb and owb either a 5"1911 or as of the tale end of this year a commander or commander length Les baer for Iwb i dont think Ive found a more comfortable Holster than Gary brommelands Max Con V or MC5

granted there's a lot of holsters out there and what may work for me might not for you

Ive also been using jarhead79's Owb holster with extended hammer shield for carry that way

Both holsters have great cover of the hammer beavertail area so no jabbing in the guts

VIP Member
    You got one here bluesteel. It was costly for me to learn. I like full size weapons but carrying in waist band is uncomfortible to me so I carry owb. Even then with a good gun belt, every time I would sit and then stand up, my belly would roll the gun belt and then my weapon would slide down my hip. I thought it was the weight of my weapon so I bought a lighter weapon ( Bersa Thunder 380 ) thinking this would solve the problem. But when I bought this weapon I also ordered a holster rig that will fit. I ordered my gun belt different also. What I had was a 1 1/2 gun belt but the new gun belt is 1 3/4 tappered to 1 inch. My belly no longer rolls my belt and there is no more sliding down my hips no matter what weapon I am wearing. I hope this helps.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I developed Dunlop Sydrome after I quit smoking and quit caffeine at the same time a few months ago.

It's slowly coming off, but in the meantime I purchased pants that fit and wear it the same way I always have: Full sized handgun, OWB holster, with light cover garment. This really doesn't get too hot even during the hottest Indiana summer days.

Josh <><

Bobtailed Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander, IWB in a Gary Brommeland www.brommelandgunleather.com Max Con V alternating with a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster. Both .45 ACP and both perfectly comfortably all day in the Florida weather. The trick is in the holster/gunbelt combination, the attire and the determination to carry - oh yes, I too am a tub-o.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

5'11" 260 lbs I have found that either appendix or cross draw at 10 oclock work well for me esp. when sitting I usually carry a ltw colt commander or a XD 40 service and never buy a holster without a full bodyshield also since i'm 29 for the 29th time my activity level is not as much as a younger person but for going out in public my gut hang over moves my cover garment out like a awning and conceals well in those positions.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I carry my XD 45 in my new Max-con V, and it's very comfortable. You could consider the XD, as it gives you a fine platform for 45 ACP, and doesn't have a hammer to jab you in the side. I'm a large guy myself, approaching 300 lbs. Fortunately, I'm 6'3" tall, so I can stretch out the belly. I also have a long waist, not long legs, which also helps. But, there's still a pretty large size protuberance. I was really having problems concealing holsters. I have a OWB holster that was concealed with a SigTac vest, but in Vegas, a large portion of the year you don't want a heavy outer garment. The Max-Con V is easily concealed on my tubby frame with a shirt worn untucked. My other options have been my Glock 26 in a Nemesis pocket holster, and the XD in a fanny pack.

Fat Guys?...

I resent, er, resemble your remark...
    Not real plump, 5'8"...195#...and I can still see most body parts (there was a time that I couldn't...)

A Kimber Ultra or a Glock-36 in IWB...(strong side or SOB)...no problem...comfortable.

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes, Yes I AM A Fatman, I carry in a pocket holster, Front right
    a S&W 638, 38+ps, Works for me.
    Last edited by enigmaone; December 3rd, 2006 at 08:03 PM. Reason: edited for spelling
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

6'1" 260... IWB 3" 1911A1 and KT P-3AT in weakside front pocket. Uniform of the Day is Hawaiian Shirt & shorts.

Allan

I'm 6'1" amd 235, I carry a Ruger P345 in a Blade-Tech IWB it is comfortable but i have trouble keeping my britches up. What kind of belt do you guys use to keep em up?

Tim

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Hawaiian shirts are awesome.

BTW, I'm not fat, I'm calorically challenged. And FWIW, fat people are just about the last class of Americans that it's OK to discriminate against!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Calorically challenged with severe back problem, I use a Nevada Gun Leather's Upside Down rig (like the old Berns-Martin) for a 2 1/2" 66, adding a safety pin hold holster from moving around my back.
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    Amateur Radio License KE5LDO

5'11" also 260. I use a CrossBreed IWB for my G-30. The nice thing about those holsters is that the leather covers the entire gun, hammer, slide and all. So the metal never rubs the skin. I carry with t-shirt and jeans all the time, no problems. I also used one with my SigPro 40 and had no problems.

5'9" and 325 pounds,i carry OWB
    and front pocket covering up with
    a oversized t-shirt.I used to carry a
    P3-AT under my love handle but i
    reached for it one night and pulled out my remote control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links