Dress clothes - Need help with either new CC method or new weapon

This is a discussion on Dress clothes - Need help with either new CC method or new weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All - Haven't posted in quite a while. Ive been carrying a G19 since 08 or 09. If anyone wants to skip the verbiage ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dress clothes - Need help with either new CC method or new weapon

Hi All - Haven't posted in quite a while.

Ive been carrying a G19 since 08 or 09.

If anyone wants to skip the verbiage - im really looking for feedback on how similarly statured people (6', athletic 195) carry with suits/dress clothes - im struggling with the weight of the g19

The most comfortable way I have found to CC is the SmartCarry holster. I have used that holster so much it needed to be replaced. The other problem with it, is i wear a suit, or business attire every day - it was ruining my clothes much faster than is sustainable around the bottom of belt, top of zipper....the sites would wear down the fabric. Reholstering with this holster is basically unacceptable without serious effort, like a bathroom stall. I have pretty much eliminated this option because of this. Sometimes due to the nature of my work, i have to leave my weapon in the car and getting the glock especially out and back in in this holster is just .... unnerving

My other method is a crossbreed Supertuck. Great holster. wear it at about 3:30

So whats my problem? First i lost a bunch of weight then i put on alot of muscle through powerlifting - i have since found it difficult to not print my glock no matter what i wear.

I cant wear the supertuck with suit pants. IT's just too heavy. Not really a gun belt issue but i do not have a gun belt... because i cant find one that is subtle (crossbreed dress belt is too cowboy).

These are a few options im considering:
    • pocket holster (requires new gun)
    • trade with a family memeber for a baby glock (weight savings driven)
    • Find a dress pant that will work better
    • IWB holster but not attach to pants? (like a belly band)
    • Obviously imalways considering a new gun, but i just as soon find a way to make this one work.

Any and all ideas appreciated

I'm the same height and weight, I carry a G30S in a Crossbreed Supertuck with a 1.5" Crossbreed belt (non-dress), but switch to a G27 with a 1.25" Crossbreed belt (non-dress w/aftermarket non-shiny buckle) while in dress clothes with a tucked in shirt.

For you.....First off, you'll have to go to a G26 if you're tucking the shirt in....the end of the grip on a G19 sticks out and prints too much for us tall/skinny people. I would go with a Crossbreed Supertuck holster and a 1.25” Crossbreed belt. Don’t get the dress belt just get the regular and it will look good. I don’t like Crossbreed’s shiny buckle because it draws too much attention, I switch to a titanium square shaped buckle to make it look more like a traditional dress belt. The Crossbreed platform seems heavy with suit pants because your not using a true gun belt, trust me, a gun belt will be stiffer and provide way more support if it's sitting on your hips and your belt is tight, rather than a normal department store belt.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

If you wear a jacket (it looks like you do if you carry on the waist), a shoulder rig is a viable option that will leave little or no indication of carry and is both trouser and re-holstering friendly.

In dress clothes you only other good options are a smaller pocket gun (I like my S&W Bodyguard .380 with DeSantis Nemesis holster) or you could carry a more potent caliber like .38 or 9 mm in an ankle rig.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    A Brommeland custom leather gun belt looks like a dress belt, and lasts forever. The bad news is it takes awhile to get one. Try moving your gun forward to the 3:00 position with a twenty-degree cant and a low ride.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

LCP pocket carry is a popular option. If I were go to pocket carry as a primary I would ankle carry a bug. Combined the two off set each others weaknesses.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thanks - Which clips do you use?

I currently have the standard clips on my ST and I have been asked about them on multiple occasions when tucked.... "whats on your belt"

I guess its one of those things ill have to try to believe - it just seems like my current belt vs a gun belt wouldnt affect comfort that much.

I agree completely with the shorter handle being needed. maybe ill take my dad up on that trade afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    If you wear a jacket (it looks like you do if you carry on the waist), a shoulder rig is a viable option that will leave little or no indication of carry and is both trouser and re-holstering friendly.

In dress clothes you only other good options are a smaller pocket gun (I like my S&W Bodyguard .380 with DeSantis Nemesis holster) or you could carry a more potent caliber like .38 or 9 mm in an ankle rig.
    I wear a jacket most of the time. Ive always shyed away from the shoulder rig because it seems like too complicated of a setup and inconvenient. there is also no explaining away what it is. maybe ill try one on. Thanks -

To the ankle suggestions - I literally have no calf muscles. Are those required to keep it from sliding down? haha. just keeping it real.

Whats a 'bug' btw -

Quote Originally Posted by bgcole View Post
    Thanks - Which clips do you use? I currently have the standard clips on my ST and I have been asked about them on multiple occasions when tucked.... "whats on your belt" I guess its one of those things ill have to try to believe - it just seems like my current belt vs a gun belt wouldnt affect comfort that much. I agree completely with the shorter handle being needed. maybe ill take my dad up on that trade afterall.
    I use the normal clips. You can use J clips or Velcro clips (I don't like either). When they ask about the clips, I just tell them it's a colostomy bag support system, after that, they quit asking questions. Just borrow your dad’s G26 and see if you like it.

The belt thing is more about support, than comfort. The gun with a department store belt will tend to slouch out and be sloppy, but the dress belt will keep it pulled in nice and tight.
    Dennis1209 likes this.

bug is back up gun. got it... everyone in my office is now wondering what i just figured out haha
    ZOMBIEvs42 and fredg53 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    I use the normal clips. You can use J clips or Velcro clips (I don't like either). When they ask about the clips, I just tell them it's a colostomy bag support system, after that, they quit asking questions. Just borrow your dad’s G26 and see if you like it.

The belt thing is more about support, than comfort. The gun with a department store belt will tend to slouch out and be sloppy, but the dress belt will keep it pulled in nice and tight.
    I said something similar to a stranger who asked but to people i see everyday, but i dont want to know CC - I struggle with what to say. they obviously know i have no health problems. my boss and customers (im in sales) are two good examples. For a while i clipped my cell phone over the front clip. that had its own challenges

Quote Originally Posted by bgcole View Post
    I said something similar to a stranger who asked but to people i see everyday, but i dont want to know CC - I struggle with what to say. they obviously know i have no health problems. my boss and customers (im in sales) are two good examples. For a while i clipped my cell phone over the front clip. that had its own challenges
    People you do know: You can't use clips then, you'll probably have to go pocket or shoulder holster.

People you don't know: Use clips and just say, "Leave me alone or I'll call the Police for harassment."

I'm about the same build - 6' 185lbs athletic- and I carry a Springfield XDm3.8 .45 in a SHTF ace-1 holster. I feel a little bit of weight, but nothing terrible at the 4:30-5 O'clock position. Also, I too have to dress up and SHTF offer's leater belt loops in replacement of the standard metal clips. I have never had a single person question the loops, they look just like my dress belts.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

6'4" tall 285lbs. I use an OldFaithful holster (same as crossbread). You really need to invest in a gun belt, they make dress belts. Also I ankle carry a G26 daily. No calf muscles needed, I use the DeSantis Apache ankle holster. I also carry 2 spare 15rnd magazines on the other ankle in a DeSantis mag holder. It evens out the weight, and they both disappear. Also carry a g19 in the Old Faithful. Suits aren't a problem, just need a good belt.

As re ankle carry; NO. You do not need big calfs to use one. The ankle holsters I use are by GALCO. I have their ankle glove (its fantastic, and very comfortable), and their ankle safe (for smaller pocket type pistols).

For the ankle glove they do make a "garter" attachment, that does go right below the knee, that helps hold up the ankle holster. You have to buy that in addition to the ankle holster.

I'm about the same size as you. For MANY years I worked in a Brooks Brothers environment. Even though I had many guns, I found that in that type of environment that a PPK or Jframe in a GOOD pocket holster was the way to go. The jacket will come off in the office so you don't want to be worried about belt/shoulder holsters or putting anything in your desk drawer. Tuckables and belly bands could work - depending on the quality and fit of your dress shirts. I also used Thunderwear and still do when I need to be VERY discreet. I'd keep the G19 (I have one and like it) but for office carry I'd be looking at a Kahr (any size), Kimber Solo, Kel Tec, small Rugers (autos or revolvers) or anything else that's small. Again - I'm talking about work, not on your off time. Then I'd stick with the Glock in a good belt holster with a square cut shirt as covering garment.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links