Jared, The Galleria of Jewelry

This is a discussion on Jared, The Galleria of Jewelry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All - I went in to Jared earlier this year to be a wedding ring and band and noticed that they had a "30.06" ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Jared, The Galleria of Jewelry

Jared, The Galleria of Jewelry

Hi All -

I went in to Jared earlier this year to be a wedding ring and band and noticed that they had a "30.06" sign up, which per Texas law, prevents me from carrying in their store. I sent the following letter (text only shown below) to the store manager and Mark Light, CEO of Sterling Jewelers, Jared's parent company. I'm sure I could have done a better job, but like everything I do, I just knocked it out quick when I had time. I've also included Mr. Light's address if anyone else has the same concerns that I do. If any of you have suggestions for the next one I write, please let me know. BTW, I sent this certified mail.

Mr. Mark Light
    President & CEO, Sterling Jewelers
    375 Ghent Road
    Akron, OH 44333
    Dear Mr. Light –
    I’m writing in reference to your company’s policy preventing legally armed citizens carrying a concealed weapon in Jared stores. Earlier this year I approached your store with my then fiancée to purchase an engagement ring and wedding band. As a law abiding citizen with a valid Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL), I was armed at the time. However, as I approached the store front I noticed the proper signage required by the State of Texas to prevent CHL holders from carrying their firearm in a legal manner on private property.

I believe strongly in an individual’s right to protect themselves and their family and because of that, I personally felt that it would not be right to do business in your store. I proceeded down the street to Robbins Brothers Jewelers, which has no restrictions on CHL holders, and purchased approximately $7,500 worth of products. Please know that this is not a reflection on you or your employees; only the corporate policies of Jared and Sterling Jewelers.

Mr. Light, please understand that law abiding CHL holders will not pose a threat to your store. Individuals who wish to commit crimes in your store are likely not CHL holders and would not abide by Jared’s signage. As a point of reference, in 2011, there were 63,679 felony convictions in Texas. Of those convictions, only 120 held valid CHL licenses.

Not to speak for other CHL holders, but in my case, I carry a firearm for one reason: to protect myself and my family. Know that I have no interest in being a hero or stopping a crime in your store. The only time I would consider using my firearm is if I or a family member was in grave danger of severe bodily injury or death. I suspect that most CHL holders would feel the same way.

Please reconsider your ban on lawful CHL holders carrying a firearm in your stores. Until then, I will encourage other individuals with the same principles that I have to not do business with Jared.

2. Remove Ads

Every Kiss begins with Kays.....
    Aceoky, rigel42, Sister and 1 others like this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I went to Zales didn't see any signs.
    Kennydale likes this.

VIP Member
    Great letter and well written. I'd be interested in hearing their response. My experience has been that very few stores in Texas post 30.06 signs. They understand the sheer lunacy of banning law-abiding customers from their stores when the criminals would not be deterred one second from entering the premises.

Btw, was this part "If any of you have suggestions for the next one I write, please let me know. BTW, I sent this certified mail.", part of the letter or did you accidentally include it in the text of the letter when posting it.

I think your letter is perfect as written. No need to add or change a thing. Kudos for taking the time to let them know how you feel and I'd be interested in hearing their response, if any.
    QKShooter, Sister and niks like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I won't go to any of the previously mention jewlery chain stores, due to their obnoxious advertisments. This is a non-issue for me.
    USM1976 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Wow! "He went to Jared"......and turned right around and left.

New slogan for Jared commercials, anyone?
    msgt/ret, grouse, CIBMike and 4 others like this.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Great letter and well written. I'd be interested in hearing their response. My experience has been that very few stores in Texas post 30.06 signs. They understand the sheer lunacy of banning law-abiding customers from their stores when the criminals would not be deterred one second from entering the premises.

Btw, was this part "If any of you have suggestions for the next one I write, please let me know. BTW, I sent this certified mail.", part of the letter or did you accidentally include it in the text of the letter when posting it.

I think your letter is perfect as written. No need to add or change a thing. Kudos for taking the time to let them know how you feel and I'd be interested in hearing their response, if any.
    Fixed. Yep, just screwed up my cut and paste. I'll let you know if I hear back.
    BenGoodLuck and Sister like this.

dear DarrylT: i'd be quite interested in knowing how mr. light responds to your letter. hope you will post it here if/when you get it. thanks.

IMO, you did a fine job on the letter.
    Aceoky likes this.

Next time, go pick out $10,000 of gaudy rocks, and take an hour of their time, get to the register, and after the jewels are rung up, casually notice the sign, apologize and explain that you need to immediately leave the store, and that you won't be back because you won't be caught dead in Jared's.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

QVC for the win.

Unless you posted 30.06 signs on your front door and/or TV for some reason...
    British by birth. American by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Every Kiss begins with Kays.....
    I believe Kay is owned by the same parent company.
    bigdogtx likes this.

They have it posted, and you can't go in with a weapon. What's the issue? Don't go there. Pretty simple to me.

Last year I almost stopped at a Jareds in the Houston area during Christmas shopping. I remembered from a post here that the store had 30.06 signage posted. I thought long and hard about going in but decided not to. About 30 minutes after I decided to drive on that particular store was robbed at gunpoint. No one was hurt, but I would have been in there when it happened.

After that I no longer have any desire to shop there.
    Aceoky, USM1976 and Sister like this.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Wal Mart wasn't posted when I bought my wedding ring either
    BenGoodLuck and kahrcarrier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    Last year I almost stopped at a Jareds in the Houston area during Christmas shopping. I remembered from a post here that the store had 30.06 signage posted. I thought long and hard about going in but decided not to. About 30 minutes after I decided to drive on that particular store was robbed at gunpoint. No one was hurt, but I would have been in there when it happened.

After that I no longer have any desire to shop there.
    As I recall there were 4 or five armed men that did the robbery. Doubt that you being armed or not would have changed anything. Not a critique on your decision making, just saying. Glad you decided not to go there that day.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links