Guns while asleep with kids

This is a discussion on Guns while asleep with kids within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious on the where people are keeping their firearm at night (while sleeping) if there are small kids in the house. Locked in safe? If ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Guns while asleep with kids

Curious on the where people are keeping their firearm at night (while sleeping) if there are small kids in the house. Locked in safe? If unlocked is it chambered or unchambered, and where is the placement?

I started carrying when I had my first kid. I made a rule then that all guns were either in the safe or on my person at all times - no leaving them on top of the dresser, hidden in the closet, etc. There are so many good quick access safes and tools made now (for all types of guns) that there's really no excuse with little kids around.

You can get drawer boxes, clam shells for shotguns, things that attach to the bed frame, in wall safes, mechanical combo, electric, biometric, etc. You should be able to unlock them in under two seconds flat with a little practice. If you can't, get another one.

BTW, I don't let my kids play around with the safes either. They are just as off limits as guns because in reality these are not bullet proof. Your kid could get lucky with a combo, etc.

That's just my opinion. The most important thing though is to start the eddie eagle program as soon as you think they can understand the concepts.
    9MMare, BadgerJ, 84160 and 1 others like this.

We use a GunVault Deluxe next to the bed. 4 buttons on top version - I do not trust the fingerprint readers to work with wet/dirty fingers. It plugs into a wall outlet, and also has battery backup...plus a key as a final failsafe. Guns are on me in a holster, or in the safe. Period.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The defense of your family should not rest on where you keep your gun.

Location of the home, a fence, flood lights, home alarm, a dog, and other things should all serve as active deterants to would be criminals.

These things should also give you the opportunity to have the situational awareness when something isn't right to allow you to gain quick access to your locked up defensive firearm.
    9MMare and rugerista like this.

I too use a gun vault. It sits on my night stand right by my bed. My gun goes in at night and comes out in the morning when I get dressed. At night, it can be accessed in seconds.

-SF

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Best thing is educating kids about guns. Had my four sons at the range when very young with henry .22 lr. Remember its not your gun that will hurt them its their friends gun make sure they know they see a gun they get a adult immediately. My cc gun is either on me or in gun vault. If your going to own guns everyone in house has to be educated on them.
    h2ohta, BkCo1, Aceoky and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    We use a GunVault Deluxe next to the bed. 4 buttons on top version - I do not trust the fingerprint readers to work with wet/dirty fingers. It plugs into a wall outlet, and also has battery backup...plus a key as a final failsafe. Guns are on me in a holster, or in the safe. Period.
    Exactly the same here. I can actually fit 4 handguns in my GunVault Deluxe.
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    I started carrying when I had my first kid. I made a rule then that all guns were either in the safe or on my person at all times - no leaving them on top of the dresser, hidden in the closet, etc. There are so many good quick access safes and tools made now (for all types of guns) that there's really no excuse with little kids around.

You can get drawer boxes, clam shells for shotguns, things that attach to the bed frame, in wall safes, mechanical combo, electric, biometric, etc. You should be able to unlock them in under two seconds flat with a little practice. If you can't, get another one.

BTW, I don't let my kids play around with the safes either. They are just as off limits as guns because in reality these are not bullet proof. Your kid could get lucky with a combo, etc.

That's just my opinion. The most important thing though is to start the eddie eagle program as soon as you think they can understand the concepts.
    My policy as well. I am ever vigilant about safety. No firearms or ammo laying around. My kids have been instructed about firearms use (I sound like a broken record). I keep my firearms locked up when not on my person.

I made my husband buy a gun safe before guns were allowed in the house with kids. We have small kids, so the rule is that when the gun comes off, it goes in a safe every time. I mean EVERY TIME. We have several safes around the house. We keep the guns unchambered, but with some ammo in the same safe and a magazine filled. We teach gun safety at an early age. I am very pro 2nd amendment and pro guns, but with small kids I will not chance it - if it ever becomes too much of an issue to put the guns away properly, then we will not have guns in the house with kids. This means the guns go in a safe EVERY TIME they come off.

I would be very sad to have to get rid of my guns, but I would be a lot sadder if I had to bury one of my children because they shot themselves with one of our guns.

I have sat and talked with the mother of a child who was in the hospital in the process of dying from an accidental gunshot wound to the head...I do not ever want to be her. I would rather die.
    GSDSchutzhund and OnePlink like this.

The title made me think you were talking about Micheal Jackson.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

In the nightstand drawer, loaded +1, in my holster.

Both girls are well versed in knowing guns are off limits without mom or dad. They have shot, but don't show a lot of interest in it. If we have other kids over we either lock the others up in the safe or lock the bedroom door.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

My guns stayed by my bedside unloaded except for my EDC and my one loaded long gun for HD until my kids were old enough to shoot them, hunt with them, and clean them.

Ive never owned a gun safe and never did have one of my kids bother the guns unless they were getting ready to go hunting.

I would never put a firearm in a safe that I might need at a moments notice to protect my family. It on me or in arms reach 24/7.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

With two guns. My HD gun in the holster that is presented via gas spring when opened and my EDC laying to the side. A few spare magazines in the bottom.

20955_248042196874_3656931_n.jpg

Locked in a pistol box (strictly mechanical simplex lock) in master closet. Yes it will take a few extra seconds to get to it, but there is a greater chance of my kids getting to it if unlocked than my house being broken into. It's a Fort Knox pistol box, highly recommend.

Sauce

VIP Member
    Gunvault in the nightstand. Four button access, cocked and locked.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links