Gun transfer questions

This is a discussion on Gun transfer questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend who purchased three guns in her name for her boyfriend who is on parole for multiple dwi's. They are now breaking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Gun transfer questions

Gun transfer questions

I have a friend who purchased three guns in her name for her boyfriend who is on parole for multiple dwi's. They are now breaking up. I told her to make sure the guns stay with her. Does anyone have some good advice, I would really appreciate it. She is a good person and I would not want her to face criminal charges. Also can he get them transferred to him or someone else? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

WHAT???????????

She should already be facing criminal charges for "straw purchases." Her best bet is probably to get those guns back in her possession as soon as possible and say "adios" to the boyfriend.

Your description of "good person" does not really fit since she has already participated in at least three criminal acts.

ps: I hope she has a good attorney, 'cause if the boyfriend gets mad and turns her in, she is going to be in deep doodoo.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I were her, I would take those guns back immediately and store them where Ex-BF cannot access them. Explain to her the definition of, and the repercussions of, a "straw purchase." If the BF was convicted of felony DUI, the GF is in deep doodoo--possibly on the federal level. Because BF had her purchase the guns, he knows he's forbidden from purchase or possession.
    Aceoky and phreddy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    She bought gun or guns for someone on parole?Wow.She must want to go to jail.She better get them back herself and keep them.

The best possible outcome is if she can gain control of the guns and take them to the nearest gun dealer and sell them for whatever they will give her. That ends the possibility of him attempting to take them from her again (by whatever means.)

If he refuses to give them to her (seems likely), your friend needs to find a lawyer in her area who is familiar with gun law. She'll likely do prison time (could be little/none if it's a 1st offense) but it is a better plan, long-term, than what can happen if she doesn't turn herself in to the authorities. A good person? Perhaps. An idiot? Definitely.

The girlfriend may be a good person but she doesn't appear to be too smart. She bought 3 guns for someone on parole for multiple DWI?! Geeez!

For her sake I hope she still has the guns in her possession. If not I seriously doubt boyfriend is going to give them back to her. Let's face it, boyfriend is a self centered a-hole that only cares about himself based on the fact that he has multiple DWIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    I have a friend who purchased three guns in her name for her boyfriend who is on parole for multiple dwi's. They are now breaking up. I told her to make sure the guns stay with her. Does anyone have some good advice, I would really appreciate it. She is a good person and I would not want her to face criminal charges. Also can he get them transferred to him or someone else? Thanks
    I guess love can make someone really stupid. What your friend did was really stupid. She needs to get those guns back and get rid of them as soon as she can. She's on very thin ice and I think I hear it cracking.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

As the others already said. It is Illegal to purchase a firearm for a felon and/or someone on parole. In great many states, it is illegal to purchase a firearm for someone else. As of now, she is over a barrel. She should either take possesion of the firearms immediatly. Check laws in doing next, but I would assume she will want to LEGALLY sale them. Main thing is to get possesion.

Thanks a bunch. She has gained possession of them just now. I told her to make sure he cannot get them again. Selling them to a gun shop is next. I don't even want to see or hear anymore myself. Thanks alot

Sorry, but she did a HIGHLY illegal thing that carries SERIOUS jail time...and she did it MULTIPLE times!

And on top of it all, the person she needs to depend on to stay quiet to not get her in trouble happens to be a person she just broke up with, and is likely not on good terms with.

My honest suggestion is that she gets her affairs in order for the amount of time she'll be "away". Because chances are she's going to see prison time soon. Sorry.

Your best bet is to keep the guns, and just not bring it up and hope he doesn't either. But if he decides to cause trouble about it...she's in deep.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    She needs some self-esteem. She should hold herself in high enough regard not to allow some dude to manipulate her into committing crimes just to keep him around. Someone asks you to commit a crime for them; they need to be gone!

Well, it's good to know she has them back in her possession.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have a friend who purchased three guns in her name for her boyfriend who is on parole for multiple dwi's. They are now breaking up. I told her to make sure the guns stay with her. Does anyone have some good advice,
    This has the potential for turning into a nightmare for her. Short of regaining possession of the guns and keeping them there isn't a way out of the mess. A claim of ignorance of the law won't get her far when this thing goes south. Sometimes it hurts to be stupid. Best advice I can come up with is to never do that again.

And on top of it all, the person she needs to depend on to stay quiet to not get her in trouble
    IS a convicted felon- would be squealing on himself something most felons are in no big hurry to do, it would be in everyone's best interest legally to not bring it up , post on the net about it and HOPE nothing legally comes from it IMHO
    jenatron and blitzburgh like this.

Yeah, the last thing I can see a felon doing is calling the police and saying "Hey, my old lady took back the guns she purchased for me! I need ya'll to come and get 'em back for me!"

Well, on second thought, stranger (and dumber) things have been done..
    Aceoky, ShooterGranny and phreddy like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links