Signs carry force of law

This is a discussion on Signs carry force of law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know (Gary?) for sure in how many states signs carry force of law- how many they do not?...

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Signs carry force of law

Signs carry force of law

Does anyone know (Gary?) for sure in how many states signs carry force of law- how many they do not?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    All i can tell you,that the ones in S.C. do..I was surprised yesterday.I saw a no gun sign that was actually the right one.I guess hospitals ck out the laws,before putting the wrong one up,like a couple of places has.

VIP Member
    In North Carolina they do and since there are no requirements on proper signage even a gunbuster sign crayoned on a piece of a paper bag can get you arrested.

NC law here. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...14-415.11.html

GS 14-415.11(c)(8)
    stylus likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    FL - No, in any shape or form.

It took me a while to figure out the Texas .30-06 sign wasn't this:

3006sprg.png
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    In Colorado they only carry the force of the law, if the location has armed security and either physical or electronic searches on entry.

WA state- Signage does not, unless already specificaly outlined in the RCW as a weapons free zone, Federal Buildings, courtrooms etc..
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I know they don't in Fla, PA, Ky and several others I'm trying to figure out what the majority of states say and by what margin

It would appear that Terrible Haute, IN creates and enforces its own anti-gun laws, even when they are explicitly contrary to State pre-emption. The local mall posted a list of prohibitions inconspicuously and in tiny print which local LE enforces with automatic arrests for trespassing, confiscation of firearms, and handgun licenses. Regional Hospital has recently posted numerous anti-gun signs conspicuously and in bold print, which will also be enforced with automatic arrest for trespassing.

One can always claim that private businesses open to the general public have the right to such entry control, but I call BS on this oppressive restriction involving the lawful carry of handguns. A retail outlet or hospital is not a private business closed to the general public or a private residence. And automatically arresting a legally armed private citizen for defying such a ridiculous prohibition is also BS.
    CIBMike and ILoveSigs like this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

As of July 1, 2013 in Kansas they do not. Tresspassing is a possibility if you don't leave when asked to.
    GlockHawk17 and BigTzzy like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

They do in TN

Get real credible evidence of the "tiny signs" contact the State AG and make them aware of this - they cannot violate pre-emption period

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
    It would appear that Terrible Haute, IN creates and enforces its own anti-gun laws, even when they are explicitly contrary to State pre-emption. The local mall posted a list of prohibitions inconspicuously and in tiny print which local LE enforces with automatic arrests for trespassing, confiscation of firearms, and handgun licenses. Regional Hospital has recently posted numerous anti-gun signs conspicuously and in bold print, which will also be enforced with automatic arrest for trespassing.

One can always claim that private businesses open to the general public have the right to such entry control, but I call BS on this oppressive restriction involving the lawful carry of handguns. A retail outlet or hospital is not a private business closed to the general public or a private residence. And automatically arresting a legally armed private citizen for defying such a ridiculous prohibition is also BS.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    In Colorado they only carry the force of the law, if the location has armed security and either physical or electronic searches on entry.
    Now I would use this as an example of just how confusing things get when we move away from the simplicity of the Constitution to the exponential idiocy of several layers of bureaucrats -- federal, state, local -- setting laws to try to define just what it means to keep and bear arms.

Unless the above response is tongue in cheek, and I can see how it could be, how in the hades are you supposed to know if a location has armed security until after you're already in there?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    They do in TN
    Yep I'm there often - costs them untold $$$$ for posting - oh well their losses not mine

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
    A retail outlet or hospital is not a private business closed to the general public or a private residence.
    Not trying to take sides for or against, but I do have to interject here and tell you how false this is.

"closed to the general public" has nothing to do with anything, letting people enter your private property does not make it public property. It is just private property that the owner allows people to enter. Big difference.

And most retail outlets and hospitals absolutely are privately owned property.

Again, not trying to take a side on whether such bans are right, wrong, authoritative just from entering, or only once asked to leave, etc etc etc. But there was an enormous fallacy there that I had to address.
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grbr View Post
    Not trying to take sides for or against, but I do have to interject here and tell you how false this is.

"closed to the general public" has nothing to do with anything, letting people enter your private property does not make it public property. It is just private property that the owner allows people to enter. Big difference.

And most retail outlets and hospitals absolutely are privately owned property.

Again, not trying to take a side on whether such bans are right, wrong, authoritative just from entering, or only once asked to leave, etc etc etc. But there was an enormous fallacy there that I had to address.
    Actually in several states it has everything to do with it, you don't keep "all private property rights" once you open to the public which is why in several states signs do not carry the force of law. Just as you cannot restrict entrance to someone because of race or religion etc. (which you CAN do on private property not open to the public such as your own home)

Does your carry license say "statewide except for private property open to the public" OR does it grant you the ability to carry statewide???

To me it's a moot point because when you're CC no one is the wiser so NO "private property right" are relinquished by any stretch of the imagination- that being said I'm amazed at how many who carry guns actually seem to support MORE "GFZ" knowing "how well they don't work" unless you're a nutjob looking for easy to kill targets - then they work on an awesome level

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Links