On vacation at the beach...

This is a discussion on On vacation at the beach... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'll start with making a long story kinda short- mother in law rented a house at the beach, and took my wife and myself ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: On vacation at the beach...

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

So, I'll start with making a long story kinda short- mother in law rented a house at the beach, and took my wife and myself along (that makes two vacations this year that I wasn't financially responsible for ).

Anyway, when 'at home' I wear jeans, a white t-shirt, and a pull over cover shirt (polo, or another colored t-shirt) to cover my 1911. While at the beach, I was wearing a pair of shorts- totally messed with my routine for the sake of comfort. I ended up with a pair of shorts with a 'tank' style under shirt, threw a t-shirt over that and I was almost set. -No way a 2.5lb piece of steel won't pull my shorts off, so I 'settled' with my EAA .357 magnum 'snubby' in a N82 Tactical left hand holster. ("It's lighter, and easier to handle, right?")

I knew I couldn't carry that like I usually carry- 7-9 o'clock position- because it would be fairly obvious that there's a gun under the over shirt in this case. Which puts a big guy like myself at something of a disadvantage. You see, I have this problem called a 'gut'; it kinda hangs out there in front of my and gets in the way quite often, despite my every attempt to rid myself of it's presence.

But, I figured, 'what can it hurt' and tried carrying 'A-IWB' (more or less); I had my trusty .357 somewhere between 10-1130 position with NO PROBLEMS other than trying to make sure I didn't show it while putting my wallet back in my front pocket or getting my phone- clipped to the waistband of my shorts at 9 o'clock.

I'm pretty sure that nobody on the island knew I was carrying it apart from my wife, who is typically privy to this information so she knows which direction to NOT run in front of me if the.. 'need'.. arises. (I'm ambidextrous, and the 1911 is on my right when I carry it due to the available holster I have for it, and the .357 is on the left because I shoot revolvers better left. So, I could either be drawing left, or right- and she needs to know whether to go left or right to avoid somehow ending up in front of my trigger finger.)

But, it was an uneventful vacation; lots of peace, quiet, and 'quality' time with my mother in law. ( )
    Aceoky and MasterGadgets like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    I usually pocket-carry an LCP at the beach for the beach-attire reasons that you describe.
    StormRhydr, squid86 and bigsky109 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I usually pocket-carry an LCP at the beach for the beach-attire reasons that you describe.
    Something like that would be great; except that I don't have anything physically smaller than my .357 anymore. I would love a little Bersa .380, or something similar, but finances (aka Wife) don't agree.

Also, I forgot to mention it- for those of you who 'don't like to party at the beach' (Myrtle Beach), and want something simple and quiet, try Edisto Beach. Quiet island, with nothing 'overly commercial'.
    WHEC724 and blitzburgh like this.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    I love Edisto. It's a great place to really get away from it all.
    Aceoky and ShooterGranny like this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    We go down a little more once most of the tourists have left.No matter what beach,it's so nice and calm out on it especially at night.I have 9mm i can take out on it,if i don't plan on swimming,which i don't as much as i use to.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    One piece of advice that I picked up somewhere on this forum was a $6 pair of clip on suspenders from Walmart. I wear them under a t-shirt with shorts and an IWB holster. No worries about having an Anthony Weiner moment but using public restrooms even to make water can be a little tricky.
    Aceoky likes this.

What is this "beach" ya'll speak of?
    WHEC724 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    What is this "beach" ya'll speak of?
    I think, but I could be wrong, it's a mythical place of rest and relaxation, where folks can go to practice the ritual of "unwinding" I've never seen such a place but I have hundreds of accounts of other peoples stories, where they stumble upon this paradise. I seen several copies and man made approximations of what beaches are recounted to be, but nothing that reaches the grandeur of the stories I've been told.
    TomC51 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I will trade M-in-Ls with you straight up!

And I can see the beach from my back door, so it's no big deal.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    I think, but I could be wrong, it's a mythical place of rest and relaxation, where folks can go to practice the ritual of "unwinding" I've never seen such a place but I have hundreds of accounts of other peoples stories, where they stumble upon this paradise. I seen several copies and man made approximations of what beaches are recounted to be, but nothing that reaches the grandeur of the stories I've been told.
    Not exactly, It is a place that unclean people take their multitude of children to run past you flipping sand all over you before they dive into the disgusting salty water with all of their clothes on. They then roll in the sand and bother you and everyone else with in a 75 yard radius. If one is luck some scantly clad sirens will take up a game of "volleyball" in the vicinity.
    TomC51, Aceoky, mck1975 and 2 others like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I already use suspenders with my jeans and 1911. Wife couldn't handle it if I tried to wear suspenders with shorts. I think something in her head would break if I made the attempt.

Glad your vacation went well. Being armed around the MIL can be a dangerous option! But it sounds like you guys get along, so no harm, no foul. You might consider a belly band for those occasions when you want to dress lighter. It will keep the 1911 secure and it will accommodate the gut. And you can carry both the 1911 and the .357.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I've got a wide range of carry guns to fit a wide range of situations...including beachwear. I get along great with my mother-in-law...it's her daughter that I have trouble with.
    Sarge65, TomC51 and Yetiman like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've got a wide range of carry guns to fit a wide range of situations...including beachwear. I get along great with my mother-in-law...it's her daughter that I have trouble with.
    I wish I had more options. I had a little Taurus PT22 that was a great little gun, but traded it for something I wanted more. I would like one of those little .22mag pocket revolvers, but they're not inexpensive- especially for their size.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I already use suspenders with my jeans and 1911. Wife couldn't handle it if I tried to wear suspenders with shorts. I think something in her head would break if I made the attempt.
    this made me laugh. ah how our wives control more of us than we wish, but we love em. you should have tried, then when she freaked out you could say well i need it to carry my gun, maybe if i bought a smaller gun for these occasions i wouldnt have to do this. gotta swing it your way to get something
    Blackheart6 and Aceoky like this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links