Carry laws for private universities in KY

This is a discussion on Carry laws for private universities in KY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am an out of state license holder with reciprocity in KY. Per policy, my private graduate program does not allow licensed concealed carry on ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ford
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four
  • 1 Post By TriBeard

Thread: Carry laws for private universities in KY

Carry laws for private universities in KY

I am an out of state license holder with reciprocity in KY. Per policy, my private graduate program does not allow licensed concealed carry on campus. My question is, does the administration have the ability to grant concealed carry permission based on their discretion? In Texas, we are not able to carry into hospitals without written approval. I wanted to know if this was a similar case with private graduate schools in KY.

2. Remove Ads

You cannot carry on the UK campus but you can leave it in you car if you there as a commuter or an employee. That was settled in a court case a couple of years ago (UK lost) I seriously doubt that The UK admin. will grant you conceal carry. All schools are "gun free" zone in KY under Federal law and that includes UK.

Sorry I mistook your talking about UK not the private schools like Center College. I still doubt you will get permission to carry at those either.

You can ask the campus security people at the school in which you are enrolled. But my guess the answer will be no.

OK my mistake on the K-12 and Federal law thing but as I understand it all colleges in Ky state or private do not allow CC on their campuses. If there is one I would like to know about it. If you carried unauthorized it could get you expelled.
    Last edited by donp326; September 24th, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

I guess I wasnt asking whether they would grant it or not, but rather, does the school administration have the authority to authorize a student to carry.

Federal law only applies for K-12 schools. Unless things have changed in the 18 months since I lived there, there is no law against carry on a college campus in KY. Only university policy, which does not carry the force of law prohibits carry at most (all?) universities in he state. The admin could certainly allow you an exception to their own rules.
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    Needed disclaimer- Never take legal advice over the internet. If you need legal advice find an attorney licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction in question.

That said- I know of no law that would prohibit you from carrying a concealed weapon on campus if you're licensed to do so. However most, if not all, colleges are going to prohibit the carrying of weapons. It is very likely that if discovered you would be dismissed from the program in which you are enrolled.

EDIT TO ADD: I just hope the graduate program you're enrolled in isn't the medical program at UPIKE. They're not on my happy list at the moment.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

That is about what I gathered when I looked into the laws, I may contact the campus police and see what they say on the matter. It might be worth a shot (no pun intended).

On a side note, Echo
    What was your discrepancy with UPIKE, I heard they had a good program over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    Federal law only applies for K-12 schools. Unless things have changed in the 18 months since I lived there, there is no law against carry on a college campus in KY. Only university policy, which does not carry the force of law prohibits carry at most (all?) universities in he state. The admin could certainly allow you an exception to their own rules.
    Also to be a bit more clear :

Ky has statutes that allow carry within your vehicle even on K-12 parking lots (even without a CDWL)

Fed law has an exception for CDWL holders - also Fed law must be enforced by the Feds I doubt they are stationed at every school in every state within the boundaries and I seriously doubt the Feds want another "test the water case on GFSZA " VS "States Rights to regulate arms within the state.- especially without something serious happening JMHO

Also to further the point several schools are arming staff who hold permits or licenses to carry concealed

Most private schools in Kentucky will not allow carry on campus, period! By Kentucky law they cannot prevent you from having a gun it your vehicle but most are too liberal to permit on campus carry. By the way I work at one of these private colleges in Kentucky so I have a little experience with this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot71R View Post
    On a side note, Echo
    What was your discrepancy with UPIKE, I heard they had a good program over there.
    They have a great program. My wife graduated from there and had a great experience. The only reason I'm unhappy with them is because of a conference they had on Saturday that my wife's employer forced her to go to- which screwed up my weekend plans. Nothing major in the grand scheme of things, but enough to leave me less than happy with them for the short term.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I also interpreted the law to only apply to K-12 and not colleges and universities.

As previously stated, my understanding of it is that there is no law prohibiting Universities from allowing it, but all, or almost all of them have policies that prohibit carrying in any manner on campus, and probably in the dorms too. After all, how would you get it there without carrying it on campus. However, you are permitted to leave it in the vehicle under KY law, and the Universities are not able to keep that from happening, even though they might like to.
    Aceoky likes this.

Links