No firearms

This is a discussion on No firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the Goodman a/c store and noticed no firearms in big letters on the door. Since it does not have proper signage does this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: No firearms

No firearms

Went to the Goodman a/c store and noticed no firearms in big letters on the door. Since it does not have proper signage does this hold up?

2. Remove Ads

You answered your own question there, Joonbi.

It does not have proper signage so, no, it does not hold up. Has to be the 30.06 sign.
    Aceoky and BenGoodLuck like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

What does it really matter? They obviously don't want your presence. I bet they'd be thrilled to see your money, though.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Not legally but on principle it says they don't "want your kind around these parts". So now it is up to you to decide to give them your hard earned money or find a vendor that doesn't prohibit your "kind".
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Either way you see it, I still wouldn't inform the store of their 'error' in signage...OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Legalese confuses me. I understand that 30.06 has specific wording and letter and contrast requirements. I would think whether you carry into a Goodman outlet is well up to you.... Babies R Us have signs at their front door stating No Firearms allowed. I did make a mental note andf went in to shop ... Armed, but satisfied, that legally I had the letter of the LAW on my side.

VIP Member
    If you live and carry in Texas, please know the law: 30.06 signs are the only signs that carry the force of law.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
    Title 10 Chpt. 46 46.03
     A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic
    beverages for on premises consumption
     On premises of a correctional facility
     On the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an
    activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger
    transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational
    institution is public or private,
     On the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic
    event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in
    the event
     On the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress.
     racetrack; secured area of an airport
     In any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or
    written authorization of the court.
     *on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
     *On the premises of a Hospital licensed under the Health and Safety Code
     *On the premises of a nursing home licensed under the Health and Safety Code
     *Amusement parks. Amusement Parks means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where
    amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of
    more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only
    through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has
    security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private
    driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
     Public or private premises conspicuously posted with a Sign that meets these Criteria.
    Items above marked * Do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
    1MoreGoodGuy, Aceoky and bigdogtx like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Legalese confuses me. I understand that 30.06 has specific wording and letter and contrast requirements. I would think whether you carry into a Goodman outlet is well up to you.... Babies R Us have signs at their front door stating No Firearms allowed. I did make a mental note andf went in to shop ... Armed, but satisfied, that legally I had the letter of the LAW on my side.
    You had more than the letter of the law on your side. You had the law on your side. "No Firearms" signs mean the exact same thing as no sign at all! Don't even think twice about not carrying into a store that doesn't have a legal 30.06. They put up the "No Firearms" sign to still their fluttering sheeple hearts!
    Aceoky and RETSUPT99 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Either way you see it, I still wouldn't inform the store of their 'error' in signage...OMOYMV
    I second that! (IF I may that is)
    9MMare likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not again...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I read somewhere that in 2007 that made it legal to carry in churches in Texas as long as there is no signage. Is that not true?

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    I read somewhere that in 2007 that made it legal to carry in churches in Texas as long as there is no signage. Is that not true?
    Yes, see post #7

Iowa rocks. Here, signs aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Carry at will.
    Aceoky, elmacgyver0 and oldman45 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    Went to the Goodman a/c store and noticed no firearms in big letters on the door. Since it does not have proper signage does this hold up?
    Hold up to what? I've never seen such a sign in my area anyplace, including stores. But I hear of the practice frequently. Look, you can't make Law with a sign, like if you put "Not Responsible For The People I Hit": on the front of your car. It means nothing legally. Obviously, if you run someone over and it's your fault the sign won't mean diddly to the cops.

The only exception would be a Law in your area saying otherwise. which I'm almost sure you don't have. So, go in if you want, but it's fair-notice that Carrying a gun could likely cause the owner to tell you to leave and if you didn't, now that you're in his establishment, call the Cops to have you arrested for Trespass - same as you would if you told someone to leave your property and he didn't.

The sign does not have legal standing period, but it's a heads up - and this could turn into a legal issue: Trespass. Course that would only come from your hard-headedness for refusing to leave.

If someone didn't want me on their property for any reason, I'd respect their wishes and not go on it - (while hoping they'd die soon).

Look at this way, you have certain rights owning a gun, the other guy has certain rights owning his property but yours have to do with Public Space and even that is limited by law, his are in the realm of private property and are limited by law (he can't discriminate who he allows in his store: "Whites Only" - as under Title VII). The basis of yours being limited or really non-existing in terms of private space is that the Amendments deal with Government and Citizens not relations between private parties so it's in public space you have rights, not private space (meaning you live under Law of Trespass there).

That's the way it is. In some situations, like this, it's irritating to you - in others it would be a godsend: like a Ban Guns organization coming into the gun store you own and demonstrating. If you want them out they can't do that and have to leave.

And so the world spins on....

Best
    Last edited by detective; September 24th, 2013 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    Yes, see post #7
    What about a large church that has day cares for children during services?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links