West Virginia reciprocity Indiana

This is a discussion on West Virginia reciprocity Indiana within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I heard WV was gonna start accepting IN LTCH, but I can't confirm it. Does anybody know if this is true, and if so ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Gary Slider
  • 1 Post By Gary Slider
  • 1 Post By Gary Slider
  • 1 Post By Gary Slider

Thread: West Virginia reciprocity Indiana

So I heard WV was gonna start accepting IN LTCH, but I can't confirm it. Does anybody know if this is true, and if so when will/has it gone into affect?

Does not show in the Handgun Laws map.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    In the near future WV should honor Indiana. West Virginia's law changed not long ago and they have a process to honor anyone who honors them. WV does not require a signed agreement anymore but does require some type of official letter from the state saying they honor WV. If they can't get a letter the Governor has the authority to tell the AG to honor that state. The WV AG must have a letter from an official of the state or the Governor has to tell him to honor that state before he can do that. Government moves slowly but WV should start honoring about 10 other states in the near future. I can't say next month or even this year but within the next 6 months I would say WV should add more states. I stress the word SHOULD!
    IndianaSig and Aceoky like this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    In the near future WV should honor Indiana. West Virginia's law changed not long ago and they have a process to honor anyone who honors them. WV does not require a signed agreement anymore but does require some type of official letter from the state saying they honor WV. If they can't get a letter the Governor has the authority to tell the AG to honor that state. The WV AG must have a letter from an official of the state or the Governor has to tell him to honor that state before he can do that. Government moves slowly but WV should start honoring about 10 other states in the near future. I can't say next month or even this year but within the next 6 months I would say WV should add more states. I stress the word SHOULD!
    Ok so then as I'm driving through, do I need to just remove my mag from the gun and put them in the trunk?

Actually in WV as long as the firearm is visible you can carry it loaded in a vehicle without any type of permit/license. I recommend a holster fixed to the most forward part of the dashboard so it is easily visible. You can confirm this with the WV State Police FAQs which you can reach from the WV Page at Handgunlaw.us
    Aceoky likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

From handgunlaws.us:

Q. Is it lawful to carry weapons (e.g. rifles, shotguns, and pistols) in my vehicle when I travel in West Virginia?

A. Individuals who possess a valid concealed carry permit may carry a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle for purpose of self defense only. West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun. If you choose to carry an unconcealed handgun in your vehicle and are stopped by a law-enforcement officer, you must understand that that the weapon will immediately attract the attention of the police officer. The presence of the weapon may lead to action by the officer to ensure his or her safety such as the drawing of his or her weapon, ordering you from the vehicle, and/or performing a pat-down search. Weapons intended for hunting must be unloaded and in a case when transported in a vehicle. It is strongly recommended that, if you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, while traveling in a vehicle, that all firearms be unloaded and cased in a location in the vehicle that is not readily accessible to any of the occupants. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate location from the firearm.

In my previous post I should have stated Handgun and not Firearm. WV does not allowed the loaded carrying of any "Hunting Gun" in a vehicle. This would include a handgun with a scope. I tell my students in WV that they should not carry anything with a barrel longer than 5 Inches on a handgun as they may say that is not a self defense handgun but a Hunting Gun. What is a self defense handgun and what is a hunting handgun? Some we use for both. Be careful and have a handgun that is in no way considered a handgun made for Hunting.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Just talked to the WV AG's Office and they are working on other states. It is a slow process and some will not send info along that they need. I stated earlier that all WV needed was a letter from an official of the state stating they honored WV. I was in error! WV requires that letter come from the Governors Office of the other state. It is not the Governor's Office that issue permit/licenses so that is holding things up. But they are working on them and they are in contact with many states trying to get something official so WV can honor them. It will take time. I did find out that Washington State will not be added. Washington State will not honor WV's permit as WV does not require Fingerprints and Washington State Requires Fingerprints in the application process before they will honor a state.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Sponsored Links