Give a newbie some concealment tips

This is a discussion on Give a newbie some concealment tips within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I know practice and experience will help, both with easing the mind, as well as learnings tricks of my own, but does anyone have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Give a newbie some concealment tips

So I know practice and experience will help, both with easing the mind, as well as learnings tricks of my own, but does anyone have some tips to help conceal better? I carry IWB, usually at just north of 3 O'clock, but nowhere near AIWB (makes me nervous, and is uncomfortable when not standing straight up). I've got a mild belly, but nothing too big and am just a larger guy, 6ft 1, broad shoulders, etc, so I feel like I should be able to conceal my glock 23, and I'm sure that once fall comes and jackets come into play, it won't be a problem. However, I've been not carrying as much as I'd like to because I feel that the printing is not optimal. Any tips?

Thanks

What type of holster and belt are you using? Have you tried behing the hip? I am a huge fan of AIWB carry, but if you are not comfortable with that then you should experiment with other positions. What part of the gun are you noticing as not being as concealed as you would prefer?

I'm guessing, but I'd say two things would/could help. Try CC at about 4:00ish and make sure that you have a holster with a 15-20 degree can't.
    The forward cant will really help hide the grip which is normally the problem with concealment.
    I'm a 'round' kind of guy, and with 'wife beater' under a larger dark T-shirt...no problemo here in FL.
    For me, the 4:00ish draw feels like a natural grip placement, and makes for a quick/smooth draw.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with retsupt99. Try 4 o'clock and move the holster around slightly until it feels just right.

Sent from whichever side of my brain comes up with these things.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I've got a galco summer comfort holster, which does have a slight cant. I know the belt is probably an issue, as it's just a book of checks thick leather slab of a belt I got at a boot store. When I can, I plan to get a "real" gun belt, but I don't have the funds for it right now. I also have an OWB holster, and I imagine winter/fall and the jackets and coats that brings will make things a lot easier for both types of carry.

The part that I notice the most is the end of the backstrap/base of the mag area.

AWIB is just not comfortable for me. Not even from a don't wanna shoot anything off standpoint (I trust my gun to not just go off, and the holster to keep crap out of the trigger), but from an it jabs me in both the thigh and the belly standpoint. Maybe if it were a shorter gun it would be feasible, but it's just not with the 23, at least for me.

With carry at 4:00 or so, how do you guys keep the gun from printing while sitting/bending and such? It seems like that would be an issue, though maybe it's not as big of one as it would seem.

Agreed with retsupt99, I carry about 330-4 o'clock with about a 20 degree forward cant. I'm a little smaller than you, about 6' 185 lbs and I can wear tighter clothes and not print much- at least not to the point where people can tell what's under the shirt. Oh and I carry a XDm .45.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

While this may come as a surprise, nobody is eyeing you looking for a gun. Nobody cares. Their thoughts are elsewhere.

If the grip of my full size 1911, M&P, SIG, or HK pokes out a bit, I don't care. Nobody is staring at me, looking to see where I have hidden my gun. Or is it a cell phone? Or a pager? Bad guys ready to raise hell are too keyed up with the crime they are about to commit to recon everybody who may or may not be carrying a gun.

If new, you will feel so conspicuous that you will think EVERYBODY knows you are carrying, even though they are clueless. One dead giveaway is the constant tugging of the shirt hem to make sure the gun is covered, so don't do it. That WILL make folks wonder.

You're fine. Look at it this way: before you started carrying a gun, how many carriers did you spot?

Better yet: how many times did you actually think to look for guys carrying gun? And if you did (unlikely), did you know what to look for?

Work hard on your overall preparedness to assess and act in situations. Examine scenarios in depth to truly understand the fact that anything can happen and no gunfight goes according to plan. Learn how the laws of your state actually apply to situations and develop (because it will evolve) your philosophies on carrying and when to get involved. Learn the possible consequences of drawing and/or firing your weapon...legally, physically, emotionally, financially.

Good luck to you!
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

The belt is your immediate issue, it is not designed to take the weight of a gun. My guess is it is allowing your gun to tilt out and away from your body and that is why the guns magazine base plate is printing. Also, the holster you are using is meant to be carried behind the hip, it also will not give you a fair idea if AIWB carry is possible for you because it isn't designed to be an AIWB holster. Try carrying it where it was meant to be carried and I'll bet you see some improvement even with that belt.

You will have to remember to bend at the knees rather than at the waist to stay concealed, that is safer for your back anyway.
    Jaeger likes this.

There are going to be siting/bending times where the grip is going to protrude...that's life, and just plan those sits and bends a little before hand. It's not really a big deal, and I can almost guarantee that no one is going to notice the bump except another gun guy...still no problem.
    Example: We're out for dinner with another couple wearing print shirts and levi shorts. I'll sit on the inside of the boots, but still facing the entrance...no one sees any bump.

I think that you are 'over worrying' this whole thing. If you don't worry about people seeing your wallet bump, your watch, or cell phone on your belt...no one is going to think anything of a bump from a gun grip...they don't even know what it is yet alone worry about it.
    GhostMaker and multistage like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

yeah, multistage, I get that. It's just hard to separate what your mind is "sure" of, and what is in fact reality. It probably didn't help that on my first outing, my mom called me out on it (not to where others would hear), but she knew that I had just gotten my license, so she might have been more aware and observant. For a while before I got my permit, I would kinda look to see if I could spot people carrying, and never did. Well except for the one guy open carrying the revolver in auto zone, but then that's not nearly as hard to notice. lol.

9mm, I really have tried to familiarize myself with both KY law, as well as that of OH and Indiana, as I travel there from time to time. I was able to point out a few things to my concealed carry class instructor that were incorrect (no carry in churches in KY, etc) but tried not to do it very often, as I didn't want to be that guy. Though, his argument that someone open carrying would be considered concealed carrying if the cop was on the side opposite of his gun and therefore it was concealed by his body, or the argument that a gun on the seat or on the dash in a car could be considered concealed if the cop didn't see it kinda rubbed me the wrong way, as I know they are just flat out wrong. I'm trying to get to the range as much as I can to get some more practice time in, and would like to take at least a basic combat pistol training course in the near future. Thanks for your concern, and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There are going to be siting/bending times where the grip is going to protrude...that's life, and just plan those sits and bends a little before hand. It's not really a big deal, and I can almost guarantee that no one is going to notice the bump except another gun guy...still no problem.
    Example: We're out for dinner with another couple wearing print shirts and levi shorts. I'll sit on the inside of the boots, but still facing the entrance...no one sees any bump.

I think that you are 'over worrying' this whole thing. If you don't worry about people seeing your wallet bump, your watch, or cell phone on your belt...no one is going to think anything of a bump from a gun grip...they don't even know what it is yet alone worry about it.
    And that's the way it is. Will take some getting used to. In time, you will realize that nobody is looking.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'm looking for your gun. I'm going to see it unless you hide it where Christopher Walken hid the watch in Pulp Fiction.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I'm looking for your gun. I'm going to see it unless you hide it where Christopher Walken hid the watch in Pulp Fiction.

That's a level of dedication I don't think I have. Plus, that would make it pretty challenging to get to in a pinch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links