Buried Carry - Page 2

Buried Carry

This is a discussion on Buried Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i carry in an IWB holster that i made myself. it appears to carry a little bit lower than the tucker one pictured, but it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buried Carry

i carry in an IWB holster that i made myself. it appears to carry a little bit lower than the tucker one pictured, but it still allows for a full grip on the gun. I still think it has more advantages to the deep conceal methods
    Kimber S/S tle pro

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That Tucker thing, while perhaps a decent idea, seems a bit bulky and complicated. On top of that, those tabs that hang out over the belt seem really weird and conspicuous. I've read about the system on their website before, and while it has its place, it is not for me, even if it's faster.

I can always one hand grip all my IWB guns.

Buried carry is my Smartcarry holster.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    All holsters seem to be a bit bulky in one way or another. As far as the tucker being complicated... only for someone who can't figure out how to shoot a rubber band off their finger.

On top of that, those tabs that hang out over the belt seem really weird and conspicuous.
    Hide them under your shirt like I do.

Did you figure it out yet? I wear the Tucker Answer holster. Excellent holster and excellent service. Me and my XD Tac in 45 cal go no where without our Answer holster unless I'm at work where I have to open carry then it's in my Serpa holster.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    A lot of problem is, as was noted by another poster, newbies who either don't know better, or don't have the right gear. I was no better at the beginning. It wasn't until I got a decent holster, and learned proper carry, that I had a clue. Now, I understand that there are experienced people that have their on methods and reasons, and I respect that. But I really think that knowledge is power.

Get the Tucker "The Answer" with the velcro clips, and then you won't see them. Tucker says you need a special belt with the velcro sewn on, but velcro with strong adhesive on the back will do just fine.

Lead Moderator
    I make my kydex holsters to provide a full grip on the gun during the draw. Stuffing the gun lower, into the waistline seems like it will just make a smooth draw impossible.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

FJC
    I think body build can make a huge difference here. I prefer to have the gun as high as possible in order to get a good solid grip - but with my current build (aka, fat - hey, lost six pounds last week though!), if the gun is very high at all my "love handles" push it outward. Even in the best holsters this can happen, especially if carrying a gun with a shorter slide (so there's less under the belt to keep it from angling).

Of course, if the gun butt is being forced outward, concealment becomes very difficult.

The lower I can carry it, the less that happens. For me, until I lose this extra weight, the lowest carry that still allows me to get enough of a grip to draw is the "answer."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Something that no one has mentioned is that how deeply a gun can be carried iwb and attain a good grip is dependant on where on the body it is worn and the rake of the holster . a 3 o clock and no rake holster needs to set higher than a 4:30 with an " fbi cant " . There is no one answer to how deep is too deep . Ideally you can get a fireing grip on your pistol so you dont have to shift your grip during draw or presentation tho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I was reading an article in one of the gun rags, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

The article stated that speed drawing has very little "real world" value. Basically if the BG(s) get the drop on you you can't draw fast enough to not get shot. If a BG jumps in front of you and points a gun in your face from 2 feet away. What real difference will it make if you have a low ride or high ride holster?

I guess you could argue that if you could dive for cover and get out of the BG's sight picture. As you are crouching behind cover the High ride will be easier to draw from.
    That was in American Handgunner right? Although it's easy to take that away from that article, that's not exactly what it said.
    It did say that putting an emphasis on fastdraw isn't necessary unless you're a competition shooter. Basically it said you should be proficient and quick, but to spend hours learning to hit the target rather than shaving .01 second off your draw time.

Anyways, I prefer a holster to ride as low as possible, while still offering a full, secure grip. I wouldn't sacrifice a low ride for a crappy draw though. (unless I had to have super deep concealment, then you have to make some compromises)

VIP Member
    I think we may be over reacting here. I carry IWB where the only thing visible above the belt is the grip. I am less than a second slower from holster to BANG with it than I am with the ultra fast kydex I use for IDPA.

The blog link mentions the problems with carrying lower, and then makes a claim that under pressure the draw won't work. (It also predicted my above words--- good work!) Since we're less than two weeks out from my gun clearing leather in a real world situation, I'm not overly concerned. It worked just fine in the fact of danger.

Now, I'm not talking overly deep. The belt/pants line is roughly even with the lowest portion of the grip. It may ride up approximately 1/4 inch. Nate put it together, and it is supurb!
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I carry a 642 using IWB sometimes. It does ride a little lower than I would like, but it is still accessable. I am using a Galco IWB holster. I don't use it often and it does the job when needed.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    That was in American Handgunner right? Although it's easy to take that away from that article, that's not exactly what it said.
    It did say that putting an emphasis on fastdraw isn't necessary unless you're a competition shooter. Basically it said you should be proficient and quick, but to spend hours learning to hit the target rather than shaving .01 second off your draw time.

Anyways, I prefer a holster to ride as low as possible, while still offering a full, secure grip. I wouldn't sacrifice a low ride for a crappy draw though. (unless I had to have super deep concealment, then you have to make some compromises)
    Yeah pretty sure it was in American Handgunner.
    I guess what I took away from that article was to be aware of what is going on around you. If you think something is happening either retreat or draw your firearm and hold at low ready.

Yeah, that's the other part of it. When I read it I though to myself the same thing you did: "hmm, fast draw not important eh?" then I reread it and came to my above conclusion...

I guess it means "super fast competition draw not that important, smooth quick draw is though"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links