Buried Carry

Buried Carry

This is a discussion on Buried Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see people wearing IWB with the gun buried in their pants with the trigger guard way below the belt line and the grip barely ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buried Carry

Sponsor

Buried Carry

I see people wearing IWB with the gun buried in their pants with the trigger guard way below the belt line and the grip barely accessible. I have people who request a low ride height like that with one of Tuckerís IWB holsters and strongly recommend against it. It can get you killed. Itís slow and risky under stress.

Here's the best suggestion I can offer on "buried carry":

As always, good point. I can't imagine not wanting that first, full grip but I guess there are those who will try anything......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator
    I understand the need for good concealment, but it makes be wonder about people’s intentions when they want to hide the gun so much that it affects it usefulness.

Yep, I think that this is a common thought among people who are new to carrying concealed. When I first started carrying, I thought that I needed the gun burried like this...the deeper the better I thought...until I really started to practice hard on my draw. Now I like it higher so I can get a nice solid grip on it when I need it.

I am very paranoid of someone seeing my concealed gun and calling the PD. There are some LEOs who may act first and ask questions later. If there is a later.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Bluesteel raises a good point as that could very well play out in todays suit quick U.S. by those who in most cases prey on "opportunities" to sue. People today are quick to voice their concerns about carrying guns etc. without clarifying what they are talking about. I personally would much prefer that people get educated about handguns/self protection and obtain the necessary licensure/permits and conceal carry. Those that do, are much less likely to do anything to compromise their right to carry like commit a crime. They are more likely to come to the aid of... and provide protection when necessary.

Needless to say, when choosing to conceal carry, if the carrier is not able to quickly use his/her weapon/side arm etc. what is the point in carrying at all?

Thanks to Rob Longenecker for bringing this to the forefront.

Taurus

Assistant Administrator
    Very valid - and IMO high is more than desirable. No problem for me with my living and cover options.

IMO a gun is too low if entire grip cannot be immediately aquired one handed - no ''fishing'' to get past belt and pants.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I'm not a fan of 'buried carry'. For the past 15+ years I carry ALWAYS, but I have only used strong side outside waist band style of holsters. Some have belt loops, others are paddle, although the paddles don't get worn often. I usually carry a 1911 or Glock.

Recently I have been considering a inside waist style & actually purchased one for a 1911 Commander. It's a Galco Royal Guard (I think), I have not been happy with it at all. For me it is not comfortable or secure. While it does keep the gun high enough for a proper draw (so I don't have to shift my hand once the draw is started), it feels very wobbly, it isn't moving much but when I feel it shift as I move it does bother me.

The 'Answer' looks interesting & it looks to address the stability issue, but what about comfort? The one IWB I tried doesn't have much size between the belt & body, so would this style with a LOT more between the belt & body be more comfortable?

I know a lot of the people here use a IWB style & am curious as to how they got used to them.

p.s. I already have the obligatory box of holsters I don't use & I'm trying to avoid adding to my mistakes by adding IWBs that I'd end up not using.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    when I feel it shift as I move it does bother me.
    Sometimes tightining the belt will help, if you haven't done that already.

I know a lot of the people here use a IWB style & am curious as to how they got used to them.
    Go away farm, I carry a G21 in a Cochise Defender from K & D, it is much the same configuration as pictured, but it is very thin, and after about a week, it melted into my side, and I often forget it's there. It is adjustable in cant, and height, I wear it about like in the picture, the belt is over the trigger guard, with the cant keeping the full grip exposed.

p.s. I already have the obligatory box of holsters I don't use & I'm trying to avoid adding to my mistakes by adding IWBs that I'd end up not using.
    I think thatís a prerequisite for CCW, I don't live that far from you, if you want to try it out, P.M. me and maybe we can meet up for some range time, and you can try it out. It's not for everyone, and maybe you won't like it, only one way to find out.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

My modified CTAC (flipped tabs) rides exactly like the holster pictured on the blog. In the original configuration, the gun rode too high to grasp well. It made my wrist turn at an uncomfortable angle.

I was reading an article in one of the gun rags, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

The article stated that speed drawing has very little "real world" value. Basically if the BG(s) get the drop on you you can't draw fast enough to not get shot. If a BG jumps in front of you and points a gun in your face from 2 feet away. What real difference will it make if you have a low ride or high ride holster?

I guess you could argue that if you could dive for cover and get out of the BG's sight picture. As you are crouching behind cover the High ride will be easier to draw from.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I was reading an article in one of the gun rags, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

The article stated that speed drawing has very little "real world" value. Basically if the BG(s) get the drop on you you can't draw fast enough to not get shot. If a BG jumps in front of you and points a gun in your face from 2 feet away. What real difference will it make if you have a low ride or high ride holster?

I guess you could argue that if you could dive for cover and get out of the BG's sight picture. As you are crouching behind cover the High ride will be easier to draw from.
    If the BG gets the drop on you is only one possible way a situation could unfold. What if he is robbing someone else and you have to pull your firearm discreetly? What about if the BG looks away for 2 seconds and you need to draw in that time? What if you could have diffused a knifing situation but you couldn't get your gun fast enough? What if BG doesn't notice your armed and asks for all your money or everyone will die? What if your kids lives are at stake and you need to draw and fire in 2.63 seconds but your gun is halfway down your pants? What if...bla..bla..bla... I don't know what you read but that is illogical. If your trying to save your own life every second is precious and a good grip is paramount.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Longenecker View Post
    I see people wearing IWB with the gun buried in their pants with the trigger guard way below the belt line and the grip barely accessible. I have people who request a low ride height like that with one of Tucker’s IWB holsters and strongly recommend against it. It can get you killed. It’s slow and risky under stress.

Well, we always have to make compromises if we are to carry, don't we?

Ideally, we would be carrying in hip holsters for optimal access and speed of deployment of our carry handguns. But in most cases, that is either illegal, impractical, or inadvisable. Very few engage in open carry, it seems -- and sentiment here runs strongly against open carry, for that matter.

A gun that is carried deeply is not useless, it is just not as quickly brought into action as one that is less deeply carried. Due to my circumstances, my build, and other factors, I usually carry in a small bag, not in a shoulder holster, IWB, OWB, etc. I go into it knowing that if I should need my gun, it'll be a few seconds getting to it. But given that 99.999% of my days have nothing to do with needing to draw the gun, what am I harming?

Combining my understanding of the slowness of my carry method with my discipline of remaining always in Condition Yellow will hopefully allow me the advance recognition of a threat and give me the time to draw the gun. And there are times when I unzip the bag, because I am edging from yellow to yellow-orange; and there are times when I even take the holster out of the bag and put it IWB. Still there have to be compromises: even when IWB, it's probably deeper than you would think it should be. It has to remain concealed, though, and that's why!

EDIT: I should add that when I can, I prefer to carry with a Fobus paddle holster that enables a high-ride for my GLOCK 27, and easy and quick access to it. It's just not practical to use it most of the time, due to wardrobe and other issues (notably the heat here in Florida). I do grant that this kind of carry is better than many others (better than the deep kind, that is) but I just can't always do it. I do it when I can.
    Last edited by peacefuljeffrey; December 4th, 2006 at 02:43 PM.

I also am not a fan of buried carry, but in all reality if we have to depend on a quick draw to save our fannies we've already lost 2/3 of the battle..

What About Thigh Carry?

I have found that 'thigh carry' hides the gun pretty well. I take my 1911 and duct tape it to my left inner thigh. I find this to be very comfortable and well hidden, except the ladies seem to notice. To retrieve my weapon, I just undo my zipper and pull the duct tape...owwwww...and grab the gun...I can complete this type of 'fast' draw in less than 17 seconds, certainly fast enough if the BG is an elderly blind woman...

NOT...

Had you going, didn't I?

Buried carry, may get you just that...buried! Bad idea IMO!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links